Airfix Heinkel 111 - Backdated to H-1

Hello All,

Here is an Airfix Heinkel 111, extensively modified, and backdated to an H-1. The model represents the "Humbie Heinkel", which was the first German bomber to be shot down over the British mainland, in October 1939 . Build thread is here.

Airfix_Heinkel_111_Sunny_LHS_zps91bdb18d

Airfix_Heinkel_111_Sunny_RHS_zpsd7adfea2

Airfix_Heinkel_111_Low_LHS_zpsdcb7e0c3.j

Airfix_Heinkel_111_Top_zps4f773ae8.jpg

Airfix_Heinkel_111_Rear_Top_zps558b6bd4.

Improved_IMG_4476_zpsef351515.jpg

Improved_IMG_4478_zpsfa7c8058.jpg

Airfix_Heinkel_111_Front_Top_zps9a438a9d

Airfix_Heinkel_111_Front_LHS_zpsa329f607

Airfix_Heinkel_111_Dorsal_RHS_zpsb1574ff

Airfix_Heinkel_111_Front_zps4cb88904.jpg

Airfix_Heinkel_111_Ventral_zps9e12053f.j

I had a lot of fun doing it, but I won't be doing another one. Thanks for all the comments and support along the way!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 11

Excellent job on a very old and very primitive (as i remember) kit. Great job but can understand not wanting to do another!

ATB
Rick

Well, that was tour de force...! :blink:

Excellent outcome, though. I've always loved the He111 and my first was the Airfix kit. I sat in my dad's car all the way home burning a hole in the box artwork and examining every last detail of the image, hoping to goodness he would 'help me build it' soon... twelve year olds then, as I was, had a somewhat hopeful disposition, sadly not fully realised. The kit sat in the highest top shelf of the cupboard for at least two years before my dad got time to help!

I sympathise re the new Humbrol Luftwaffe range, but having persevered - and also having tried the acrylic offering of same before the enamels to catastrophic effect! - I can say I am warming to them. A Ju88 awaits as I type and I hope to finish it in RLM70/71. I've already tried the maritime shades 72/73 and I think they're good, although I did tone down the darker shade a little. They do require a couple of extra coats but I think it's worth the effort.

Again, your He111 is a great build and lovely end result ;) .

Regards,

Paul

Edited by obdl3945

Thanks for the comments guys!

I'm not sure whether to give the new enamels another shot or not. All the new enamels I've tried (including 116 Green, my staple) seem to have really poor coverage and don't self level like the old ones. I've moved over to Humbrol acrylics and Extracrylics for my last couple of builds and I'm getting used to them, plus they don't smell and they dry faster! The exhaust stains were stippled on using a mix of black and rust acrylics on a cut down dry brush, so I think I can now do everything I used to do in enamels.

Regards,

Adrian