Mk.1 Blenheim... NEW Airfix kit

Finished! Blenheim Mk.1 L1388,AV-W, 113 Squadron, Greece 1940-41.

This I managed to complete in a week! Lovely kit to build with a a couple dodgy area that now I know about will tackle differently next time. In particular the nose. Maybe the nose halves would be better fixed in place to the main fuselage half before joining said fuselage halves? I'll try that next time. But in the meantime, I enjoyed this build and opted to use the new DK Decals I bought from Hannants on Sunday at Duxford( the website shows this set as sold out!!!). All main colours are Xtracrylics and a top coat of artists acrylic matt varnish thinned with flow improver and a drop of matt white paint added to get a faded appearance.

IMG_5951_zps6dd2a5b6.jpg

A touch of nose art.

IMG_5949_zpsc4eb3533.jpg

Bombed up! Not sure if the small bombs would have been fitted on these at the frontline but I used them regardless to avoid filling my spares/leftover parts box!

IMG_5948_zps9a68f753.jpg

IMG_5947_zps2a76f98d.jpg

IMG_5946_zps449fa8bc.jpg

IMG_5945_zpsd0200f5b.jpg

IMG_5944_zps0742b74b.jpg

IMG_5952_zps350b83b7.jpg

.....Slight paint chipping done here and there...

IMG_5965_zps43d592d1.jpg

The only kit decal I used was the walkway that fitted the model perfectly! Also I only added some seat belts. Pics of part of the WIP can be seen here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234964274-blenheim-in-progress/

PS: I lost one of the open bomb door parts.(C29). But not a big problem as when I get the next kit, be it another Mk.1 or the Mk.IV, I can replace it, as my next one will be closed up.

• Like 23

Steve, you will love it... but watch out for errant part numbering between instructions and the plastic!!!

Step 3: Parts D20 and 21 should be E20 and 21!!! Step 12: D1 should be E1, step 18: D19 should be E19 and bomb door parts D16 D17 are transposed and one shown as D12!!! Other than that enjoy the build. If you use the small practice bombs or whatever they should be described as they are a tad fiddly to fit !!

Have fun!

• Like 1

Hi, Paul...

That's a first class finish. The kit looks very smart and the detail - lowered flaps, bomb bay etc - seems to be rather good. I'm looking forward to Airfix's Do17Z in due course. The images on the internet of the parts look equally good and well detailed as this Blenheim model.

You've captured the aircraft very well and it's got a clean finish, too. Well done... :) .

Regards,

Paul

Thanks chaps. Just amended some of my text as I was getting a bit bleary eyed last night doing the post.

Can't wait for the Mk.IV now! Itching to do grey and white RCAF one as a U Boat killer!!!

Steve, you will love it... but watch out for errant part numbering between instructions and the plastic!!!

Step 3: Parts D20 and 21 should be E20 and 21!!! Step 12: D1 should be E1, step 18: D19 should be E19 and bomb door parts D16 D17 are transposed and one shown as D12!!! Other than that enjoy the build. If you use the small practice bombs or whatever thye should be described as thye are a tad fiddly to fit !!

Have fun!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shane

Nice one Paul,

You`ve done a cracking job and I`ll be finishing one of mine in a similar scheme too,...... nice to see the Greek campaign getting a bit of a mention,

Cheers

Tony

Very nice indeed. I like the fading you've managed to achieve with the ultra-light coat of white mixed into the varnish - very effective, I'd say, and something I might look into myself!

Step 3: Parts D20 and 21 should be E20 and 21!!! Step 12: D1 should be E1, step 18: D19 should be E19 and bomb door parts D16 D17 are transposed and one shown as D12!!! Other than that enjoy the build. If you use the small practice bombs or whatever they should be described as they are a tad fiddly to fit !!

Have fun!

Did you find that D/E20 & 21 didn't quite fit? Had to trim a bit off the rear of the parts to get them to fit

Did you find that D/E20 & 21 didn't quite fit? Had to trim a bit off the rear of the parts to get them to fit

No. No probs there. Just the nose fit and wing to fuselage fit was tight but OK.