Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon in STOCK

blikkey

Having started to build the kit, there's going to be a lot of plastic left over - mainly rockets, bombs and tanks... Would it not have been a better option for Airfix to sell the kit without these and sold the weapons seperately making the model cheaper and therefore slightly more accessible to all? Just a thought,

Having started to build the kit, there's going to be a lot of plastic left over - mainly rockets, bombs and tanks... Would it not have been a better option for Airfix to sell the kit without these and sold the weapons seperately making the model cheaper and therefore slightly more accessible to all? Just a thought,

Doubt it: there aren't that many 1/24 aircraft kits with which they could be used.

I don't agree with that, currently I don't know which aircraft with which weapons I'm going to model, at least having all of the options gives me the flexibility to choose, do you remember when Hasegawa issued their Cold War/Modern aircraft without weapons requiring you to purchase missiles from one set, electronic gizmo's from another and bombs from yet another one or two sets? I don't believe anybody was happy with that situation, I know I wasn't!

I bought a Hasegawa 1/48th Typhoon with rockets many years back, it came with a 3-bladed prop and short chord tailplanes, when it came to making the kit the aircraft I wanted to make had a 4-bladed prop and Tempest (long chord) tailplanes, whilst I could source replacement tailplanes the prop was an issue at the time so I ended up having to make a model of a subject I didn't want to do, I could've bought another kit (but it wasn't available at the time) or swapped it but I didn't want the hassle. Airfix's approach avoids that dilemma.

Wez

Edited by Wez

Going back to the cracked/distorted canopy thing. I now fully expect mine when it arrives to be cracked too. Which has got me thinking. I find it hard to believe Airfix were unaware of this problem. I wonder was this the reason for the delay in delivery?

If they were aware of it no doubt there was a certain amount of consternation and brainstorming. One solution would be to replace all the canopies in all the manufactured kits or at least the batch with the problem. But that would produce enormous logistical issues and further delay.

Another solution might be to release the kits and say nothing but meanwhile have a good batch of canopies made ready for the stream of complaints.

All speculation on my part of course. But it will be interesting if the replacement canopies begin to arrive by return of post, so to speak, as that would imply they have a pile of them on hand ready to go.

I just don't believe that this issue is a surprise to Airfix.

We'll wait and see.

Edited by noelh

Going back to the cracked/distorted canopy thing. I now fully expect mine when it arrives to be cracked too. Which has got me thinking. I find it hard to believe Airfix were unaware of this problem. I wonder was this the reason for the delay in delivery?

If they were aware of it no doubt there was a certain amount of consternation and brainstorming. One solution would be to replace all the canopies in all the manufactured kits or at least the batch with the problem. But that would produce enormous logistical issues and further delay.

Another solution might be to release the kits and say nothing but meanwhile have a good batch of canopies made ready for the stream of complaints.

All speculation on my part of course. But it will be interesting if the replacement canopies begin to arrive by return of post, so to speak, as that would imply they have a pile of them on hand ready to go.

We'll wait and see.

with the seemingly high rate of canopy issues, there are many truths in your words.

How could so many dodgy canopies get through QA?

I would imagine that's exactly what certain Airfix executives were asking their production facility! I'd say the emails were screaming back and forth across the internet for the last few weeks.

To me this the logical decision. Let the kits out there and gauge the extent of the problem while having replacements ready. It's what I would have suggested. Quite simply they would have no idea of the extent of the problem without opening every box.

Possibly they will make an announcement in due course. It has to be embarrassing for their 'flagship' release this year to be have a problem like this.

Edited by noelh

I think the issue here is that the kit is manufactured in India. It may be bagged there to but I suspect that Airfix will have no idea of the problem because there is no obvious damage when packed because of the opaque envelope which is a very tight fit and that may be the cause of the problem? As we all now now, it would have been better packed in a small box. The question of the faults in the plastic is a production issue so I have no idea what may have gone wrong in India. Pity there's no Airfix voice on BM!

Simon

We'll wait and see.

Seriously my friend, there is no leap of logic that would ever, ever, ever see Airfix knowingly release the flagship kit (or any other) of their 75 year history - aware that they contained dimpled and cracked canopies or other defects. There is not the faintest scrap of credibility in imagining or inferring that there is any commercial advantage in so doing, either to Airfix or the Indian company. The last thing (and I mean the last thing) Hornby / Airfix would ever want is the scenario that's now playing out.

If they (Airfix) had any awareness of a quality control issue they would have stalled the release. Period. The kits are produced and packed in India. The boxes are sealed and shipped at the distant end. The contract with the Indian supplier will be to meet Airfix's quality standards. It would seem (given the missing parts and canopy issues) that the Indian supplier has not properly monitored their production and packing. Doubtless the Airfix contract will involve clauses requiring shortfalls to be made good. There is no commercial or financial advantage in the Indian end knowingly allowing defects to leave their care either - none whatsoever. Nobody wins. Nobody.

I'll happily take the Pepsi challenge on this being the top, middle and bottom of it. Think about it from the Indian end - in the wake of all this, what is the likelihood of their securing further contracts? Is it in their commercial interests to provide faultless products, each and every time. Of course it is. So why on earth believe that anyone this side of the sanity divide would imagine the wilful release of this stunning kit, with defects was a conscious commercial decision.

When this project was in it's infancy - before it even started, I can tell you, first hand, that Airfix weren't certain that their CAD ambitions could be fully translated into plastic, that current tooling technology could cope. To test this, they went to the considerable speculative expense of commissioning test mouldings to prove it was a 'go'. The effort and pride that has since flooded this landmark kit will never be fully known to anyone, other than those in the Airfix team who have thrown themselves into it.

I have no doubt that 'making good' is Airfix's first and only priority until all is resolved and that the next batch of kits will be 'subject to additional scrutiny' to say the least...

Steve

• Like 2

I think I might convert mine to car door. If I am making a canopy mould anyway I might as well make it something a bit out of the ordinary.

Anyway, even if my kit is delievred on Tuesday I won;t actually see it until next weekend so I'll wait and see what it looks like.

I think I might convert mine to car door. If I am making a canopy mould anyway I might as well make it something a bit out of the ordinary.

Anyway, even if my kit is delievred on Tuesday I won;t actually see it until next weekend so I'll wait and see what it looks like.

Hello mate:

The parts breakdown makes the subsequent release of a car door a certainty. By all means convert your bubble top (it is after all, your choice) but I'd be stunned, if you build it as a bubble, you haven't got a new canopy in your possession, by the time you reach the back end of the build.

Wish you well with it either way.

Steve

Edited by Dances With Wolves

Mine arrived from Amazon today! all sprues present and correct with the exception of the canopy! cracked so i've already emailed Airfix....

Maybe they will do a car door version, but we've yet to see the Mosquito bomber nose variant so I am not holding my breath. Anyway, the current kit is the one I have so I may as well work with that,

Roger that - fair comment too. Look forward to seeing your car door on the flight line; it'll certainly attract a ton of interest.

Wish you well with it.

Best regards

Steve

Do you remember the long list of posts / complaints when the Airfix Lancaster came out without bombs and the suggestion to purchase the Bomber re-supply kit !!

I think it would be a case of - you can please some, however not please all. To be honest, when mine finally arrives (hopefully with no canopy crack!) I probably won't be able to choose a version straight up - so having the choice of Rocket rails, bombs, tailplanes, props etc. is probably a good thing.

Cheers .. Dave

Ok dances with wolves, I see where you're coming from but what we have is a clear production flaw. That's undeniable. Either Airfix missed it completely or they made a rational decision to minimise the loss of revenue by releasing the kit and replacing the bad parts as needed. Much like a recall when dealing with cars.

The fact is the release was stalled. We don't know why. But then we have repeated reports of faulty parts when it is released.

Look we're all cheerleaders for Airfix. We want them to succeed. But we cannot deny this is a problem. I'd rather believe they recognised the problem and are dealing with it rather than think they missed it completely.

I have worked in aviation for thirty four years and understand the standards that apply but this is not aviation just models. This is not that important. Just a model kit. No one will die. Just mildly inconvenienced. You can see that from the reaction of most of the 'victims' of this problem.

Like I said it's just pragmatism at work.

• Like 1

I have just been in touch with my local hobby shop and they have the same problem.

Their supplier ordered 60 units and received 10!!!

Hopefully I will be lucky, I have got to call back later this afternoon to see if its in stock.

Simon

Got mine today too- looks like it will be great fun to make, and keep me busy for ages.

And yeh, cracked and slightly wobbly canopy. IMO, there's no point asking Airfix for another one yet because so many will be the same. Surely someone will come up with a resin or vacform replacement before too long?

just had the following comms from Hornby/Airfix

Dear Mr Percival

We are very sorry you have experienced problems with the product A19002.

The problem with the Q sprue, is not common to all the kits.

Problem was only found after the mould inspection when the clear sprue had been standing for several days.

The sprue feed was changed to eliminate this problem.

Would seem that some incorrect parts have slipped through.

We have despatched the Q sprue for you today x2

Once again sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Regards

Airfix spares.

My Typhoon turned up this morning :)

Masterpiece of engineering from Airfix, very well packed too!

Shame about that small crack on the canopy, guess everyone is the same?

Airfix have done a real good job with this Model, truly at the leading edge of model design. I'm sure Airfix will solve the Canopy (Q01) in the near future,

IMG_5361_zpscf9a8f4d.jpg

Just got this from Airfix

Dear Mr Thorne

We are very sorry you have experienced problems with the product A19002.

The problem with the Q sprue, is not common to all the kits.

Problem was only found after the mould inspection when the clear sprue had been standing for several days.

The sprue feed was changed to eliminate this problem.

Would seem that some incorrect parts have slipped through.

We have despatched the Q sprue for you today.

Once again sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Regards

Airfix spares.