Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon in STOCK

blikkey

Peter,

That's very interesting and a bit disappointing. I also bought one of the new 1/48 Spits however according to the lady who spoke to me, this did not make any difference to the overall GBP35.00 cost. Can I ask, have your goods been shipped yet? Mine are still in the "picking stage" which I would have thought would have gone off by now.

I had a similar problem with the Javelin, only to be sent an email after I finalised payment that said that Royal Mail declined to send it and I needed to pay additional with DHL.

Hopefully you will not get one of these similar emails.

Cheers.. Dave

Didn't spot anyone else posting this but I thought I might just show you what you are all getting. It's quite daunting in a way. These are the parts all laid out. All 509 of them!! Please note that I haven't opened the bags yet, so most if these contain 2 sprues!

image_zps474602bc.jpg

I thought I would just pop a 1/72 Typhoon box into the photo for scale!!

What's in my box...

00302 Frame A - structure, firewall, pilot

00302 Frame B - wing spars, instrument panel,seat parts, structure

00303 Frame C - wheel halves, engine parts, inner u/c doors

00303 Frame D - engine parts, radiator, main u/c doors

00306 Frame E - lower wing centre section

00304 Frame F - outer wing spars, canons, wing ribs

00305 Frame G - spinners, prop blades, fuel tanks, drop tanks, bombs

00307 Frame H - wing lower outer panels, fin for short tailplane, wheel bays, closed u/c doors

00304 Frame I - rudder, ailerons, flaps, elevator, tailplane,

00306 Frame J - Port upper wing

O0306 Frame K - Stbd upper wing

00308 Frame L - fin for long tailplane, long tailplane, elevator, rocket rails, cockpit sides

00306 Frame M - fuselage halves

00307 Frame N - Lower fuselage, cowlings, gun panels

00308 Frame O - rockets

00305 Frame P - rockets, rocket rails, bombs

00309 Frame Q - canopy, windscreen

00309 Frame R - instrument panel, landing light covers, clear parts

Generally Frames with the same number are packed in a single bag, except Q and R, and J&K (together) and M&E (together).

Cracked canopy in mine too....

Peter

PS what's the Airfix email address for replacement parts?

Edited by dambuster

Peter,

That's very interesting and a bit disappointing. I also bought one of the new 1/48 Spits however according to the lady who spoke to me, this did not make any difference to the overall GBP35.00 cost. Can I ask, have your goods been shipped yet? Mine are still in the "picking stage" which I would have thought would have gone off by now.

I had a similar problem with the Javelin, only to be sent an email after I finalised payment that said that Royal Mail declined to send it and I needed to pay additional with DHL.

Hopefully you will not get one of these similar emails.

Cheers.. Dave

Dave,

I have to say I didn't pre-order the Typhoon, so did an order of in-stock kits and the figures I quoted are the postage calculation on checkout. And DHL is cheaper than Royal Mail (and faster too) - go figure.

But my order is also still in the "picking stage" which I thought is a bit strange too, so I may still get an email. On the other hand, I ordered in the past train tracks from them which were 900mm long and shipping them with DHL was as per calculated postage.

I guess I will see.

Cheers, Peter

What's in my box...

00307 Frame H - wing lower outer panels, fin for short tailplane, wheel bays, closed u/c doors

00308 Frame L - fin for long tailplane, long tailplane, elevator, rocket rails, cockpit sides

00308 Frame O - rockets

Generally Frames with the same number are packed in a single bag, except Q and R, and J&K (together) and M&E (together).

Peter

Thank you - that's confirmed that only the fuselage halves are missing...

I contacted Airfix via their website link, but they also show an email address too. I got an automated acknowledgement back really quickly.

Good luck.

Mark

Thanks dambuster and Mark 72 for the lists, they will give me something to check against when it arrives. Did a progress check this morning and the courier says estimated delivery Wednesday which is a little longer than I expected but I can wait now that I know it's on it's way

No - there's no sprue diagram - I'll just wait for a long, thin package from Hornby - as GordonD points out they are quite small and easy to overlook!!

Strangely that's something Airfix have never included. Personally I feel that in a kit this complex it would be more than useful.

Strangely that's something Airfix have never included. Personally I feel that in a kit this complex it would be more than useful.

The 1:24 Mosquito had one (sprue diagram). I agree it would have been useful in the Typhoon.

My big Tiffie arrived today from Hattons (pre-ordered for £72 inc delivery).

Just opened it and all good apart from the usual canopy distortion and a small crack where the canopy attaches to the sprue.

DSCF6001.JPG

Email to Airfix on way.

Otherwise, happy bunny.

Just when I was feeling pleased with myself because everything was present and correct, it turns out I have two Frame Cs and no Frame D! :raincloud::wall:

I wondered why there were so many wheels...

Just been emailed by Amazon to say mine (a very early order) will arrive on Tuesday, which is highly acceptable. I assume the canopy will be cracked but can make another.

Mines coming on Tuesday from Amazon as well

Got mine from Hattons today. Late ordering so £82 including postage. All sprues present and correct. The Canopy had the (seemingly) inevitable crack where it joins the sprue. Off to the Airfix Web site I suppose! I am guessing a while to get a replacement if this is such a widespread problem.

Just been through mine, there are three spinners on sprue G. I wonder what Airfix have up their sleeves?

I believe the different marking options that Airfix include in the kit use different types of spinner: IIRC Dances With Wolves highlighted this in his build review earlier this year.

First order of the day, check for cracked canopies and undertake a parts audit I think.

I believe the different marking options that Airfix include in the kit use different types of spinner: IIRC Dances With Wolves highlighted this in his build review earlier this year.

Not according to the instruction book. ZY-N of 247 Squadron has a three-bladed prop so naturally has a different spinner, but the other three options all use the same part,

Not according to the instruction book. ZY-N of 247 Squadron has a three-bladed prop so naturally has a different spinner, but the other three options all use the same part,

Perhaps its a common sprue for the earlier Car Door type, however something tells me that there's probably no difference with the spinner in this version either?

Like everyone else - I'd be interested to know.

Cheers .. Dave

Still waiting for my Typhoon from Hattons, Supposed to be delivered yesterday by the dreaded Yodel courier.

But guess what Yodel never turned up! I guess that's what you get from Hattons if they are only charging £2.

My advice to anyone ever ordering with Yodel is to find a suitable alternative. There track record is not great IMHO.

What's in my box...

00308 Frame O - rockets

Peter

Nice info dambuster.

I just printed the list of and doubled checked all my frames and pleased to say I have the same so looks OK apart from cracked canopy.

Well I got home from my jolly hol's to La Belle France today and waiting for me was a package the size of a small suitcase containing this kit!

All the sprues are there and I'm absolutely gobsmacked at the amount of detail - well done Airfix!

The E-Hattons and Yodel team did sterling works getting it to me the next day - I for one am very pleased with their service and the price £72 all in.

First thing I checked was the canopy and yes it has the stress crack at the top - so I've just sent them an e-mail.

Otherwise extremely happy!

Wez