Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon in STOCK

blikkey

All this got me wondering what my replacement was like. The original was cracked, the replacement isn't. As for optical distortion, whilst neither are optically perfect (was the full size one?), the distortion level is on-par with the acceptability of the panel lines (don't get me started!).

I should hope full size one was perfect optically. Otherwise there would have been a lot of unhappy Tiffie pilots. I fly a type which has some distortion in the windscreen from certain angles, it's aggravating when looking for traffic but at least no one is shooting at me!

I got two canopies, by mistake, both cracked but one was almost acceptable optically but neither windscreen was usable being very obvious. Panel lines can be worked on but clear parts are far too obvious.

Peter

I didn't worry too much about the box but it was badly crushed. And trusting in Airfix I knew that a new one would be quickly dispatched. Not only that a nice box looks better on the shelf while it's waiting to be built ( plucking up courage to start it ! ). Looks as though you care about the items you have In the stash.

I have also received the Email about the canopy. Let's hope that the crack is not there in the replacement.

To those of you who are going to accept mediocre replacement clear parts, please don't. Keep complaining to Hornby/Airfix until they do something about it. This is a £100 kit. It's their flagship. To provide it with such poor clear parts is indefensible. There are companies out there churning out kits far cheaper with flawless clear parts. If they can do it, so should Airfix. They must have known about this before it was released so we should all keep sending the complaints and demand they resolve the issue. If this was any other product than a plastic kit, most of us would return it and demand our money back. Please, please keep on to Hornby/Airfix.

• Like 2

Not sure whether mentioned before, but looking at photo 78 in the Brett Green bible, the canopy is completely different in the way it's moulded. Looks perfect too. Wonder why Airfix changed it. And as Andy has said, keep requesting parts if they are not up to scratch. One of the reasons I returned the whole kit ( but making sure there was one available for me). The missus did suggest I ask for a refund of 50% for damaged goods! Not that brave!

Not sure whether mentioned before, but looking at photo 78 in the Brett Green bible, the canopy is completely different in the way it's moulded. Looks perfect too. Wonder why Airfix changed it. And as Andy has said, keep requesting parts if they are not up to scratch. One of the reasons I returned the whole kit ( but making sure there was one available for me). The missus did suggest I ask for a refund of 50% for damaged goods! Not that brave!

The photos of the sprue shots taken at SMW2013 also show the 'original' canopy gates, two on each side and none at the front edge.

Peter

Just had the standard Airfix 'Q sprues' email repeated after a week, I don't know if it's a glitch or if they are just doing it to everyone to keep us quiet while they think of another plan. I for one would be quite happy to wait a few weeks while they re-do it, perhaps in the original style with two sprue gates and no cracks or distortion. As has been pointed out several times, the canopy is going to be one of the last parts needed in the build.

I read somewhere possibly this thread. That the moulds were modified to avoid the flow problems and to produce a thinner more accurate canopy. It seems that plan backfired.

Still no sign of my replacement.

Having just received a Tiffy kit for my birthdayfrom my missus I`ve had to e mail Airfix too re the crack found in the canopy,.....very disappointing and although I tried to keep it from her even my wife noticed the crack and she is quite upset about it having forked out £100 for what she though would be the `perfect' birthday prezzie!

Has anybody else noticed quite a bit of flash on the other parts and seam lines in the plastic which need some effort to re align, such as on the propeller blades, pilot figure and lots of the small pipes etc? I have also found some surprising dimples so far which need to be filled in the propeller blades and pilots arm which should be easy to sort out with some filler but are these all common to every other kit or have I got a rogue kit?

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Mine came from ehattons, only problem, canopy not cracked but a lot of distortion/ripples on the sides and a large dimple on the top.

Airfix's spares were first rate and got me a replacement, thats lovely and clear with no distortions on the sides but still has the dimple on the top.

Looks like it could be a commom problem with the size of the mould and how thin the part is.Looks like it deforms when cooling down from the injection process.

Very little flash on mine as far as I can tell with the quick look through the bags

Yes Tony mine has the dimple on the pilot's arm but nothing on the blades but there is a remarkable amount of flash on sprue F to the point were parts 38 and 39 will require careful trimming. Something I have never seen on a modern kit. There's even slight staining around some ejector pin marks which reminds me of early East European kits.

The rest of the kit is fine apart from the usual canopy issue.

Just got my replacement canopy. No crack but still distorted on the top and front screen. I looked at the sprue and you can see at the side where the original gate was, just by the wind screen. It is now a whatever you call it on the canopy. One of them extra bits that need trimming off!

My replacement canopy arrived this morning and yes, no crack but if anything the distortion is worse than on the two canopies that arrived in my kit. I was also missing the other transparency sprue: R from my kit. I highlighted it carefully on the email but as I opened the box I just knew it wouldn't be there and I was right.

I'll give a day or two before complaining as it may arrive later.