1/48 Dragon Me 163B-1a Komet

Just found this thread and am now fully tuned in. Nigel, your mottle masks will come in handy or are you going to go freehand like the big boys do?

I am not quite such a big boy as you Duncan and probably never will be but I think I will try to do it all freehand.

• Like 1

yup, that's the one. I managed to blag a couple of visits there while on some business trips. Somehow we just managed to end up with an extra day on the trip - so we had to do something to kill the time didn't we?

• Like 4

I got the tail masked up for internal painting like this:

P1070173_zps2d20a167.jpg

This morning these masks and the CMK kit arrived from Hannants:

P1070174_zps1e0c4aa8.jpg

Lets have a look at what's in the CMK set:

P1070175_zpsf97493e8.jpg

Of course I got this mainly for the instrument panel but the seat and joystick are clearly superior to the kit items so I will use those:

P1070176_zps2760acff.jpg

The resin cockpit tub is nice but some of the features look inaccurate to my eyes so I will stick with my efforts so far:

P1070177_zps727a759e.jpg

It will provide a useful reference for further detailing though. You may have noted that the instructions state this is supposed to be for the Revell kit which slightly conflicts with what Hannants stated. That probably explains why the tub was not such a good fit in the fuselage as the kit part.

They provide some optional PE rudder pedals but in situ they look too big so I will keep the kit items:

P1070178_zps0c184f9c.jpg

Strangely, they only provide one of these actuator parts (PP16) and would have you put it in the wrong place:

P1070179_zpsc168b5ac.jpg

That would make fitting the seat a tad tricky and there should be another one on the LHS.

Still, overall its a nice package and worth getting I think.

• Like 3

I removed the detail off the front of the instrument panel by rubbing it on some 240 grit wet and dry:

P1070180_zps73d79a73.jpg

It always slightly pains me having to remove such lovely detail but needs must.

I removed the recessed detail with a knife and got the IP parts ready for some paint:

P1070181_zpse66c434c.jpg

I then drilled out the joystick and glued in some 0.6mm rod to act as a painting handle and location pin later:

P1070182_zpsce0eb4b2.jpg

This is how I jigged up that and the loop control ready for paining:

P1070183_zpsf25b45a1.jpg

I don't want nasty paint contaminating my nice brass rod do I?

• Like 5

Right, now I am back from my holiday on the Isle of Man with billydick, let's get this show back on the road.

The CMK resin set contains a windy handle for the cockpit (and spare) which I think just have the edge over the kit part so I cleaned up one:

P1070277_zpsa58f1615.jpg

It didn't have a mounting pin though so I drilled it out and glued it to some 0.6mm rod and got it ready for painting:

P1070278_zps6cbe822b.jpg

I decided to go with the kit detailing on the LHS cockpit side wall but used the CMK resin part as a guide as well as reference photos:

P1070279_zpsbb45b974.jpg

I did cut out and used some of the resin detailing as well as adding copper wire and brass rod. The resin RHS side wall is clearly superior to the kit detailing so I decided to use that:

P1070280_zps2e607ad4.jpg

To get it to fit it required a little trimming:

P1070281_zpsc179827d.jpg

A little further finessing and removal of the minimal kit detailing was required before final installation:

P1070282_zps09b16ab4.jpg

I glued in the rear cockpit section and did a fit check with the glazing:

P1070283_zps1a1f4abb.jpg

The fit was gratifyingly good.

The cockpit floor was bereft of detail so I decided to square up some Archer resin decals and add those:

P1070284_zps9e3eace9.jpg

P1070285_zps15429f54.jpg

Next I masked up the bullet proof glass using the precut masks:

P1070286_zps4df4bf96.jpg

While we are here, the resin gunsight by the handwheel is definitely better then the clear kit part so I will use that. It will just need some clear film adding after painting.

I glued on the glass as well as various associated PE parts, the braces are from the kit, the other two from the CMK set.

P1070287_zpse6d76892.jpg

I filled the brace mounting holes as they should have little tabs that sit on the surface so I think this looks more like reality. This is all nearly ready for a little paint application so I might get that done today.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5

I can recommend them, the glue is not too good on bare plastic though so I use a little diluted Gator glue as well as lightly sanding the plastic. The rows of rivets are also worth getting.

Billy, just a little bit, I was trying to reproduce the detailing seen on the CMK resin cockpit floor:

P1070298_zps5a39d20f.jpg

I realised there was still quite a bit to do before getting the airbrush out, like getting the PE generator propeller ready:

P1070295_zps59a0f0fd.jpg

I used my own picture from the walkaround section to help shape that:

163%2015.jpg

Then there was the hub and part of the tail wheel which I secured on a cocktail stick with a dab of Gator glue:

P1070296_zps08b69955.jpg

The kit provides two options for the tail wheel assembly, I much prefer the separately moulded wheel, extended option:

P1070297_zpsedda8582.jpg

I put a slight flat on the wheel and marked it with a drill point to make its position obvious. I have also done the same with the main trolley wheels.

• Like 5

I have not got too much done today, mainly working on the front landing skid and trolley. The trolley axle has a skink mark but there is no need to fill it as it is hidden once assembled:

P1070299_zps0a31e393.jpg

P1070301_zps6eb8846d.jpg

In fact it actually provided a convenient mounting point for painting:

P1070302_zps8b0a58da.jpg

I have come to the conclusion that the best way to deal with the intractable kit stainless steel PE is just to snap off the fret attachments. I have had to resharpen my scissors after trying to cut it with those and it knocks hell out of sanding sticks but hey ho I have just about got it whipped into shape. I used thick Gorilla superglue to attach this piece to the skid with this clamping method:

P1070303_zpsc3f1e76f.jpg

I think the skid is going to be a tricky assembly and painting job. Here the supports are assembled lose without glue ready for some paint:

P1070304_zpsa8cead52.jpg

Now I think I am actually almost ready to breakout the airbrush but I may not be able to do much tomorrow as I have other things planned, hopefully it will happen on Sunday.

• Like 6

Brilliant work as usual Nigel.

You certainly make this modelling malarky look easy.

Do dragon make their own kits, or re box others?

Might have to have a look at them, as I mainly seem to buy revell and recently academy.

Can't wait to see more.

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1