1/48 Dragon Me 163B-1a Komet

The engine at East Fortune doesn't look right to me. I'm sure some of that plumbing in non-standard. This is a typical engine...

hwk1060.jpg

The engine at East Fortune was use for trials work and is non-standard I guess. As its the engine I have seen and photographed its the one I want to try to build.

And no Purdu and Matt we don't like 2D pipes do we?

• Like 1

On flareing the end of the pipe, could you not heat it up, and push a tapered reamer or round file down it?

Just a thought.

Feel free to ignore my silly ramblings, it's late at night and I've had a drinkie poo.

Matt.

• Like 1

Today I have just been working on the engine again. I started to fabricate the second main pipeline with this soldering set-up:

P1070326_zps1ea9cd0e.jpg

The thickest rod is 0.8mm, the rear part 0.6mm and the stub pipe 0.4mm.

I got that all soldered and cleaned up and then realised that the stub pipe was on the wrong side so I took it all apart and started again:

P1070327_zpsc8ae475b.jpg

What a dingbat.

I had put some 0.8mm tube on the ends to represent the connections and managed to slip a length of 0.6mm tube onto the stub pipe after the rod had been trimmed:

P1070328_zps0c7ff8af.jpg

After many failed attempts I managed to make two acceptable looking flanges that I slipped on before further bending operations:

P1070329_zps403caf7d.jpg

Here is the new pipe installed:

P1070331_zpse98af996.jpg

Using some blue coloured 0.3mm copper wire (from Little Cars) with a little length of 0.5mm tube on the end I soldered on this small side pipe:

P1070332_zpsfe3ffa69.jpg

That connects to this dubrey attached underneath with is just made from a saved ejector pin feature:

P1070333_zpsbbfe55af.jpg

This is how it looks from the side:

P1070334_zpsdcad1351.jpg

My cunning plan is to mask the blue pipe somehow and retain its metallic blue finish.

I finished putting the last pieces of PE on the engine:

P1070335_zps1b05154d.jpg

I can't really do any more on it now until the stand is designed and built.

• Like 8

Looks good so far. I would imagine the piping would be dissimilar on the different rocket engines. I am not sure exactly how "standardized" these engines were. It really is looking nice Nigel.

• Like 1

In researching a design for the rocket stand I found there are lots of pictures of modern metal stands in museums but this is the best (and pretty much only) contemporary image of one:

hwk509ae_zps296e17a8.jpg

It looks like its made out of wood. If I combine this with the Meng kit stand information that g-usa sent me I think I can come up with a hybrid design:

P1070337_zps12f61300.jpg

• Like 3

This is the stand design I came up with, it may be subject to minor changes due to the availability of materials:

P1070376_zpsc1b11b56.jpg

The good ship Duncan B kindly volunteered to help with the sourcing of the right plastic strip materials. When they are delivered there may be another curry in the offing!

After a coat of primer I got some coloured top coats airbrushed onto this lot:

P1070405_zps24a7fb89.jpg

I was then able to do some detail painting and apply some washes to these cockpit components:

P1070406_zpsb5494cbc.jpg

For the seat headrest I first applied a coat of Alclad Aqua Gloss followed by some liquid Micro Mask masking. From previous bad experience, I am hoping that the gloss coat will aid in removing the liquid masking.

• Like 4

Still working mainly on getting the cockpit finished and ready for fuselage close up. I painted some paper grey and cut out foot straps for the rudder pedals:

P1070409_zpse7dd5db8.jpg

Next the instrument panel, after spraying the back of the instruments white I glued them onto the PE facias using some slightly diluted Gator glue:

P1070410_zps4b806310.jpg

Here is the fully assembled IP ready for installation:

P1070411_zps268b080b.jpg

I then spent about two hours assembling the fabric belts and gluing them to the seat:

P1070412_zps832443c3.jpg

I have tried to go for a fairly naturalistic look there.

When I removed the masking off the headrest it seemed to take most of the Aqua Gloss with it as well as some on the underlying paint:

P1070413_zpsa59338a8.jpg

I will try to remember not to try that again. It still seems to look OK though.

Now I could get on with assembling the rest of the cockpit after giving it a coating with some black Flory wash:

P1070414_zps6add5dea.jpg

I have put a coat of Humbrol dark grey wash on the headrest cushion and at the moment it is very glossy. I am sure that will look a lot better after a coat of matt varnish and that will settle everything else down.

• Like 5

There are many other liquid masking products but this is the best one I have found.

"This is my Micro Mask! There are many like it, but this one is mine! My Micro Mask is my best friend, it is my life. I must master it as I must master my life..."

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Great stuff here, as ever. :)

• Like 2

Brilliant work there Nigel, that cockpit sure looks good to me.

A couple of questions.

Those seatbelts. Are they actually fabric? Where can I get some from, as they look really realistic.

Do you use any aids, like an optivisor to do the small work? Or do you just have very good eyesight?

I wear glasses, and even with them, I struggle with the small details.

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the fuselage closed up.

Matt.

• Like 1

Matt

You do realise he has seven very small people captive in his lair and makes them do all the delicate stuff the ordinary folks just couldn't, DONT YOU

Nope

seriously that isn't true

the very idea is too silly

far too silly :(

THERE'S ONLY TWO OF THEM AND HE KEEPS THEM WORKING IN SHIFTS

And feeds them wonderful meals

So wonderful I have considered moving to inhospitable climes just to see if there's a chance of sharing their trough with them

What is on for Friday night Nigel?

And back down to earth

love that cockpit me lad

utterly lovely

And I is a kind of Messerschmitt hater

kind of

;)

• Like 2

he has seven very small people captive in his lair

No I don't its all my own work.

Well maybe milktrip's pixies did help a bit but he told me to keep that secret.

Those seatbelts. Are they actually fabric? Where can I get some from, as they look really realistic.

The seat belts are from Laser made in the Czech Republic and they are a kind of stretchy plastic probably PVC. I got mine from Hannants.

Do you use any aids, like an optivisor to do the small work? Or do you just have very good eyesight?

I use a good magnifier lens for pretty much all of my work.

After getting a coat of matt varnish on the cockpit tub and inside the upper fuselage I was able to glue in the instrument panel, quickly followed by the tub:

P1070416_zps5af8f79c.jpg

P1070417_zpsd16e8e51.jpg

I also unmasked the armoured glass:

955fe90e-631d-44ca-b53a-4ee3bdca2266_zps

P1070420_zps9fa1acf0.jpg

Now I could glue the fuselage halves together, the front was quite gappy and I had to apply a lot of clamping pressure like this to get it to close up:

P1070421_zpsf8622451.jpg

P1070422_zps1398bfa0.jpg

I'll let that harden up for a bit and see what I've got.

• Like 5