Mach2 Falcon 20. My Gordian knot..

Next in the series "my father flew" I am attempting to make sense of the Mach2 falcon 20.

(For the previous article in the series see:http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234928085-monogram-172-hu-16basw-albatross-rvhp-conversion/?hl=albatross )
To compound my misery I am building two. Why? Because I promised and this kit is the only one available of the falcon 20. One will be built as the EW variant and the other in the white livery of the Royal Norwegian Flight.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y529/espus/scan0001_zps213e2b40.jpg
If you were interested enough to open this thread from seeing the title, you probably already know the inadequacies of this kit so I shall not elaborate on them.
Suffice to say I shall do battle with all of them.
This build has been on the bench for a while so some of this is old work.
Episode 1:
I began with finding a procedure to correct the misalignment of the two fuselage halves, primarily the wing attachment. The fuselage was cut as seen on the photo and re-mounted the fuselage in a jig I made to make sure the wing attachment was straight. Then came filling and sanding down the cut and the gap that appeared from the correction.
Second issue was the transparencies which are useless in their supplied form. Also the windshield slot in the fuselage is not level. I cut out the ceiling from the fuselage and made a master for vacuuforming a new one. The fuselage was sanded down a little to make it level.
Result as shown.

IMG_0689_zps725a7105.jpg

Mods033_zps82a0588c.jpg

Falcon025_zps291a73ed.jpg

Florida2013263_zpsd074c487.jpg

Falcon008_zpsa1acaed2.jpg

Edited by Espus
  • Like 2

Will be watching this as I too would like to build a Norwegian aircraft as they used to visit RAF Wyton when I was there. Very interesting with what you have done so far. Where will you be getting the markings from?

Hi all

I know it's a bit of self harm going on building this kit. But like I said its the only game in town and with the strong interest with the family connection I had no choice but to take it on as soon as I thought I could do it..

The markings won't be that difficult as there wasn't that much markings on them. I have roundels and can quite easily make the rest. For the cheatline on the white one I might be getting some help. We will see.

Espen

The Vacuuformed canopy is now cut and fitted. It took some attempts to get it right. I probably have 10 discarded ones for the two I managed to get right.

IMG_1119cropped_zps9816c218.jpg

And here, filled and masked.

IMG_1214_zps2c036be5.jpg

I have since increased the with of the window posts.

Espen

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same kit, only destined to be an RCAF example. I noticed in one of your recent photos with the vac'd cockpit fitted and sanded, it appears that you had already corrected the cabin windows and had them masked off. Any chance of seeing this aspect of the build in a little more detail? I had already contemplated the 'same' correction (replace the mis-aligned and excessively thick cabin windows) but was a bit unsure of the best way to go about it.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley