Airfix 1/48 Seafire F.XVII, plus special guests

Val

Hiya,

Another day, another build thread! This time I'm going to be doing the new-ish Airfix Seafire. Built mainly OOB but with the Eduard photoetch set of the interior. I've already finished the cockpit and zipped her up, but I'll do better build threads from now on as I have a better setup in the cave.

DSCF6365_zps9493917e.jpg

DSCF6367_zps4e65e60c.jpg

Not the most exciting thread in the world so far, granted, but hopefully it'll get more exciting! It is the first time using photoetch properly, and it's great and annoying in equal measures so far... It does look good though, got to say, but you just can't see it atm!!

A few special guests are going to drop in on this thread as well. An Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR.7 (old mould) and an Airfix 1/72 F-86 which are from when I first got back into the hobby a couple of years ago, and ran out of mojo to finish them...

Also this 1/48 Otaki Spitfire MK VIII. And what a kit this is!! I got it second hand for a few quid, but the detail externally is generally really good, and the panel line detail is wonderfully restrained! I've finished painting her. This is all done free-hand with airbrush and Tamiya acrylics.

DSCF6368_zpscdb9764e.jpg

DSCF6370_zpse8bb4b37.jpg

DSCF6374_zpse6ea6e62.jpg

Now, the chipping is a bit over the top, I admit. The airframe I'm doing was heavily weathered, apparently, and I am using the kit as an experiment kit to practice airbrushing and chipping on, which were made using Vallejo liquid mask and a sponge. Since I did that, I've not found a single spitfire picture with this level of paint damage... Oh well, I've been using my imagination!!

DSCF6375_zps12c91993.jpg

This is the aircraft I'll be making, albeit heavily chipped! smile.gif

Thanks,

Val

That Otaki Spit is looking REAL nice! 'Freehand'? Boy, I wish I could do perfectly circular cutouts for the wing roundels freehand, like you! ;) hee hee... Just me being jealous, mate - looks fab. I've got a Seafire FR46/47 in the stash, but am saving to get a new airbrush and compressor before I tackle that (and a few others that I currently have).

Look forward to seeing more - especially the Harrier.

Cheers

Kev

• Like 1

Cheers guys!

That Otaki Spit is looking REAL nice! 'Freehand'? Boy, I wish I could do perfectly circular cutouts for the wing roundels freehand, like you! ;) hee hee... Just me being jealous, mate - looks fab. I've got a Seafire FR46/47 in the stash, but am saving to get a new airbrush and compressor before I tackle that (and a few others that I currently have).

Look forward to seeing more - especially the Harrier.

Cheers

Kev

Ahh yes, well I did mask the circles, this is true :) I've also got that Seafire FR46/47, looks a great kit that one! Detail looks immense, can't wait to get stuck into it!

Don't get too excited about the Harrier, it's been on the go since I got back into the hobby about two years or so ago, and it hasn't got a great finish on it! I'll get some pics up soon.

• 1 month later...

Hi all! Bit of an update, at least! So the Seafire. Construction is basically compete, and she's been primed with Vallejo primer:

DSCF6449_zps21b9b467.jpg

DSCF6450_zpsd8ebfb0e.jpg

DSCF6452_zpsa04f632e.jpg

I have also pre shaded the underside. Airbrush was spitting a bit but didn't worry about breaking it down for a clean as it was only pre-shading, and I don't want it to come through too strong as I want this to be fairly clean.

DSCF6459_zps3c8bf2b4.jpg

I have also got some Tamiya Sky on her, and lightened up a few areas in panels, but not photographed yet..

This is the illusive Harrier! It's been on the go since i started the hobby about 2.5 years ago! She's not well made in places, but she's nearly finished.

DSCF6441_zps9c92fec1.jpg

DSCF6442_zps69c63b91.jpg

DSCF6443_zps3871c091.jpg

DSCF6445_zps48b3fb10.jpg

DSCF6447_zps7ab8a25d.jpg

DSCF6448_zps2407c685.jpg

She's the old-mold 1/72 Airfix Gr.7. I was hoping to get her finished today, but the weapons don't fit the stores, so will need some drilling and modifying... Joy!!

Here's the bits to stick on still...

DSCF6458_zps0bf7d5bb.jpg

On the Bench: Airfix 1/72 F-86F - 80%, decalling... Tamiya 1/48 Mustang III - Finished!! Airfix 1/72 A-4B - Finished!! Otaki 1/48 Spitfire Mk viii - 60% painted Airfix 1/72 Harrier gr-7 (old tooling) 90%, final weathering and assembly. Airfix 1/48 Seafire 10%, just started!

And finally this is the progress on the Otaki Spit. She's been a dream build on the whole! She's been washing with Flory's Dark Dirt, which highlighted the unbelievably fine recessed detail nicely, sealed with Hannants Matt varnish, faded a bit with oils (experiment that didn't really do too much), after being decaled.

DSCF6453_zps0f60450f.jpg

DSCF6454_zps8b0fc450.jpg

DSCF6455_zps5c3aec4c.jpg

And here's the prop:

DSCF6457_zps0961493e.jpg

Fun with weathering next!! Powders, oils and Flory's washes will be the order of the day.

Help and comments greatly appreciated as always!

Thanks guys,

Val

• Like 2

'not that well'!!! ;)

Yeah I'm pleased with the harrier on the whole, but there's a lot of dust caught in the paint and a lot of visible seams. That's why I've not taken too many close ups :D Hopefully I'm a bit better than that now.

Thanks everyone :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, a bit more done to the Spit and Seafire. First up the Seafire:

DSCF6469_zps9d6d265c.jpg

DSCF6470_zps0765c5e7.jpg

DSCF6471_zpscad22702.jpg

I understand these aircraft were well looked after, and as such didn't get heavily weathered. I pre-shaded the underside to break it up, but didn't bother pre-shading the top side. I tried to keep bleaching down to a minimum as well, so the colour changes are hopefully very subtle. However, I wanted it to look a little used, so I did some chipping with Citadel Boltgun Metal and vallejo liquid masks around areas that I assumed would still get a lot of traffic around them, like the cockpit and gun bays. I'm sure this is a bit over the top, but I want this Seafire to look lovingly used! Gloss and decals next, then a panel wash. I know that some people will disagree with a panel line wash if I'm trying to keep weathering to a minimum, and that's entirely reasonable, but I personally feel a panel line wash will give it an extra dimension.

• Like 2

And some weathering done to the Spit...:

DSCF6472_zps9abd2e9c.jpg

DSCF6473_zps0960297d.jpg

DSCF6474_zps2bdbf0ec.jpg

The oil stains on the bottom are mainly Tamiya smoke, as is the base for the exhaust stains, which then had Tamiya nato black over the top. I wanted the stains to look oily, and therefore glossy; this aircraft was apparently very heavily weathered with heavy, sooty exhaust staining. However I feel the gloss of the Tamiya smoke is a bit over the top, so I'm going to totally knock that back with matt varnish. I'll then add some weathering with pigments to give a dusty look. The underside is going to get some streaks with oil paints and Flory wash to enhance the staining. Then she's about all done!

Cheers,

Val

• Like 2

That Otaki kit is not bad. I'm sure Matchbox or Airfix or someone did a few re-boxings of them in the early 90's. Nice battered filthy aircraft.

Yeah, Airfix definitely did. It's a great kit, fit is spot on almost everywhere, no filler at all use apart from on the underside where mine happened to be warped. The recessed panel lines are so fine, and the detail on the whole is great. It just lacks detail in one or two places newer kits would have, I had to drill out the gun ports for example, and there is no mesh in the air intakes. I'd definitely build another one though!

• 2 weeks later...

The Seafire is coming along nicely as well. Basically, she's been glossed up with Aqua gloss, and got the wing walkways on.

DSCF6488_zps9378b47d.jpg

I painted the wing walkways on. I find it a complete pain trying to get long, thin decals on a model; they seem to stick to everything except the kit! They wrap themselves around your fingers, paint brush and desk, but refuse to stick to the wings. And then brake!

DSCF6489_zpsf83f8953.jpg

I used Tamiya Rubber for the colour. I found masking much easier and about as quick. I guessed the widths by eye, but they seem ok. The walkway by the door was masked and a bit of vallejo liquid mask was used for the chipping. The paint was neat, so should give a nice texture to rub some pigment on subtly.

DSCF6490_zpsadacf69a.jpg

DSCF6491_zpsfe749308.jpg

Decals next. Then seal her up, Flory Wash (probably grime colour, nothing too strong), satin coat, and some final light weathering, which will just be a subtle exhaust stain. She's getting there! Great kit, get one while you can!

Val

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone!!

Well, things have progressed. Decals are on, which performed excellently, sealed with gloss, Flory Wash applied (grime underneath and dark dirt on top), sealed with a satin coat. I then weathered with Tamiya smoke and Tamiya weathering sets.

B015FEA1-4FDC-486D-9214-CF6FD38FDFDA_zps

7D582159-43AE-4A77-BD60-85414E321EEE_zps

The exhausts are Quickboost resin (excellent), painted with model master metalizers.

C9EA1D8C-80D6-4436-A22D-418D8BCF9B70_zps

And the underside:

AA3D848E-8D3B-4CDE-99E4-A9A7B5C39E02_zps

The lights were painted with Tamiya clear colours, with metal tin cooking foil glued onto the back to give a reflective feel.

The eagle eyes amongst you have probably already spotted the prop is the wrong way around. Yes, I spotted that too. About 5 seconds after it was irreversibly glued!!

D2E04479-EFA8-4BF0-88F5-525CC8B4E113_zps

Oh well, we'll keep it as our little secret!

I also snapped the tail wheel, but fixed it with 0.5mm metal rod. This also allowed me to swivel it slightly:

07BC9FC2-35B7-40F5-86FA-268CF7D4882F_zps

And finally the small bits:

08CA2FC4-8435-406F-B79E-B7784832265C_zps

So, all that remains is to finish the rockets, and satin varnish. And what an excellent kit it is! Hope the 1/48 Hurricane is as good; and I'm sure it will be.

Cheers,

Val

PS sorry for the pics, they are from the phone.

• Like 3

That Otaki Mk.VIII still scrubs up so well.

Love the Harrier's shark mouth too.

No bare worn metal on a Seafire though Val!!!.

Salt air plays havoc with bare aluminium you know.

Any paint damage down to the bare was very rapidly re-painted before corrosion set in.

Also,Airfix don't explain things very well with this kit and really need taking to task

because they've only added half an option and not mentioned how to use it.

There are two sets of wheels and tyres,yes?

Three and four spoke wheels?

OK.

Any Seafire XVII including and after SX330 had the three spokes fitted.

You're doing SX358 ?,so three spokes are correct for it(Airfix never told you did they?)

But,SX358 also would have had the big over-well blisters fitted to accomodate the three spokes.

Those wheels are 12 inches wide instead of the 10.25" of the four spokes.

Here's the blisters on SX336:

http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/Supermarine_Seafire_SX_336_Walkaround_Gallery/content/Supermarine_Seafire_SX_336_021_large.html

And her three spokes:

http://www.sepsy.de/raf-spirtfire-mk-III%20Seafire.htm

The real SX358:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ezQ3AgAAQBAJ&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=Seafire+SX358&source=bl&ots=cCFe0N9Ks3&sig=y0cnsTkbmma11tLldh5YW5Uhjnc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=8diyVJeSK47taJPWgpAE&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Seafire%20SX358&f=false

• Like 1

That Otaki Mk.VIII still scrubs up so well.

Love the Harrier's shark mouth too.

No bare worn metal on a Seafire though Val!!!.

Salt air plays havoc with bare aluminium you know.

Any paint damage down to the bare was very rapidly re-painted before corrosion set in.

Also,Airfix don't explain things very well with this kit and really need taking to task

because they've only added half an option and not mentioned how to use it.

There are two sets of wheels and tyres,yes?

Three and four spoke wheels?

OK.

Any Seafire XVII including and after SX330 had the three spokes fitted.

You're doing SX358 ?,so three spokes are correct for it(Airfix never told you did they?)

But,SX358 also would have had the big over-well blisters fitted to accomodate the three spokes.

Those wheels are 12 inches wide instead of the 10.25" of the four spokes.

Here's the blisters on SX336:

http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/Supermarine_Seafire_SX_336_Walkaround_Gallery/content/Supermarine_Seafire_SX_336_021_large.html

And her three spokes:

http://www.sepsy.de/raf-spirtfire-mk-III%20Seafire.htm

The real SX358:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ezQ3AgAAQBAJ&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=Seafire+SX358&source=bl&ots=cCFe0N9Ks3&sig=y0cnsTkbmma11tLldh5YW5Uhjnc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=8diyVJeSK47taJPWgpAE&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Seafire%20SX358&f=false

Hi there Miggers,

Yeah thanks, I was pleased with the Harrier and the Otaki spit is a dream kit for the age. I'll definitely make another if I find one cheap enough.

Thanks for the Seafire info. You're quite right, I really need to get over my chipping obsession. I've not seen a spitfire chipped that heavily, so I should have considered the additional requirements for seafires. I could still go in with the extra dark sea grey and touch in the chips which might work quite well. But I probably won't this time, I will see. I've got another one of these excellent kits and I will make sure I avoid such weathering. And yes! I wondered why there was different wheel options!! I Had no idea! I'll look out for that and use the correct ones on the next one. And get the prop the correct way round :)

Thanks again,

Val

Go straight in with the fresh EDSG Val,it'll look most realistic that way,'speshly if you darken in a tad.

Took a lot of research to figure out what was what with the wheels,but that was the conclusion I came to.

I wanted a high demarcation three spoke wheeled option when I did mine,but didn't really

want to do SX336 as I'd already got her in 1/72nd.

I found a picture of SX358 sitting in the long grass at Stretton awaiting conversion back to saucpans

with most of the remaining of the breed.

Just happened that after service with 800 in Triumph,she'd gone to 1832 at Culham as 103

with a yellow spinner,so I combined kit decals from one option with t'other and spares box

side numbers.

After service with 1832,she'd gone an RNAY(IIRC,Fleetlands)and had a full refurbish before

going on to Stretton for storage.She never flew again.

• Like 1

Go straight in with the fresh EDSG Val,it'll look most realistic that way,'speshly if you darken in a tad.

Took a lot of research to figure out what was what with the wheels,but that was the conclusion I came to.

I wanted a high demarcation three spoke wheeled option when I did mine,but didn't really

want to do SX336 as I'd already got her in 1/72nd.

I found a picture of SX358 sitting in the long grass at Stretton awaiting conversion back to saucpans

with most of the remaining of the breed.

Just happened that after service with 800 in Triumph,she'd gone to 1832 at Culham as 103

with a yellow spinner,so I combined kit decals from one option with t'other and spares box

side numbers.

After service with 1832,she'd gone an RNAY(IIRC,Fleetlands)and had a full refurbish before

going on to Stretton for storage.She never flew again.

Cool, thanks for sharing that info. Really interesting to hear what happened to these subjects. Yeah, you've sold it to me, I'm going to give her a once over in the maintenance hanger and touch her up with some EDSG :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok,

Small updates. The finishing line is in site, not much to do, but waiting for gloss/washes etc to dry.

So after advise from Miggers, it's been pointed out that Seafire's (well, any Navy aircraft) will not have exposed metal chipping of any sorts. As soon as something appears, it will very quickly be painted over as a corrosion control. So, she's been in the maintenance hanger:

IMG_2595_zps8fc07d4c.jpg

As you can see, I've repainted the exposed areas with Extra Dark Sea Grey, with a hint of black added to change the colour tone so it looks like she has been touched in. Here's a close-up of the wing root and gun bay:

IMG_2597_zps865b917d.jpg

And here is the side of the fuselage. You can't see the touch-in so well here because of the lighting, but I went over the '7' with the EDSG, so then went back to paint the top of the '7' white to make it look like that's also been repainted.

IMG_2599_zps2ae24f47.jpg

Here's (two of) the rockets painted and glossed.

IMG_2601_zps3ef8d1f5.jpg

Next jobs are:

Decals rockets
Re-gloss
Wash rockets
Final assembly
Satin Varnish

So not much now, but like I say, drying times are what's taking the time now.

Nearly there smile.gif

Cheers,

Val

Wow, that looks stunning, look forward to seeing the finished kit, very nice Val,

Sean

Thanks Sean, not long now hopefully! Just need to get over the finish line without any disasters...!