Mustangs over Italy: Hobbyboss 1/72 P-51B 325th FG, 15th AF - Completed !

Giorgio N

Very nice job :) do you need any special printer for the decals or any laser printer can do the work? The own decals could save me pretty much money... :D

Thanks ! Any laser printer will do the job, mine is an Epson C1700, quite a cheap model. Toner isn't cheap however but this another story..

Of course everytime homemade decals are discussed, it's important to understand the limitations ! Not everything can be printed but with some work it's possible to put together some very interesting markings

• Like 1

Speaking of these decals, colour laser printers at the low end of the market, like the one I'm using, can't achieve the resolution of inkjet printers of comparable price. Still, the resolution can be adequate for the purpose of printing decals...

IMG_1193_zpsdec51a00.jpg

Look at the lettering beside the "857" numbers: it's possible to read most of it even if it's quite small !

The weekend was spent mainly adding the many checkers to the tail. These were printed and applied in sections, however a number of individual checks was also printed to complete the job. Here's the model during the initial decalling phase:

IMG_1192_zps843a5045.jpg

There will be a need for some touch-ups of the black checkers as the black toner got damaged in a couple of spots. Should I do this again, I'll print smaller sections, adding too many checks is a nightmare !

I also made a very annoying discovery: I made a mistake in dimensioning the red "Sweet Clara II" and now I have to print this again. My fault, I did not check properly, something that is extremely important when designing and printing decals.

• Like 1

Now these latest pictures all look the same, but some progress can be seen and I'm very happy to announce that I now have a proper checkertailed Mustang !

IMG_1216_zpsf1e1688d.jpg

Decalling can now move ahead, the most difficult part is done. My nerves will now need some time to recover as laying individual bits of black decal to fill the whole tailplane is not the most relaxing of exercises

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I could not find much time to work on my models over the last few weeks. Work took its toll but I also indulged a few weekends away so can't complain too much...

In any case I have now found some time to try and complete this one in time for the end of the GB.

Decalling is now complete. I had to resize the name of the aircraft as this was too large originally. Unfortunately it's now a little too small, but I've decided to live with it.

IMG_1219_zpse87e4bac.jpg

I've applied the "Sweet Clara II" name on the port side only. I don't know if it was applied on the other side too, in any case I've printed a few spares so that I can apply the decal on the other side too.

The model is now also resting on its wheels.. at least at the front as I've yet to paint and glue the tailwheel.

And here's the model as it is now, including some of the bits that will be applied soon

IMG_1218_zps33f930e6.jpg

Ok, it will not be my best model to date, but in any case it's going to be a colourful addition. And I'm quite proud of the job I've done with the decals, even if the nose art is not great (that small white border still annoys me...)

Latest update: model is almost completed. With a few hours before the end of the STGB I only need to replace the dorsal antenna that fell victim to the carpet monster. However I now discovered that my aircraft has the antenna in a different location so I will have to scratchbuild an antenna (easy enough) and close a hole on the fuselage (annoying as the finish is natural metal...)

Here's how the model looked yesterday while I was fitting the propeller blades

IMG_1220_zpsbc41658e.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, antenna sorted, all the bits atached, a few touch-ups on the black checkers, and I can call this one completed !

IMG_1222_zps83ed1f4a.jpg

More pictures will be posted in the gallery

I'm very happy as this is the first time I complete a model for a group build in a long time ! I think it's been more than a year since I managed to finish anything in time...

It's also the first model I actually complete this year... I know, it's not something to be happy about....

Overall I don't think the model came out as good as I had hoped. Still, it's a colourful addition to my collection and I've learnt a couple new things about natural metal and decals. All tricks that I'll put to good use in the next models !

Even if the model is not great, it's another one in my ongoing "war over Italy" theme and will sit nicely beside the others. At some point it will be followed by more Mustangs but I'm not sure I'd use the HB kit again. It's nice but some aspects are annoying, in particular I think the diedral of the wing is not right (not enough on the HB kit). I may use the Revell kit for my next P-51B.

Hope you all enjoyed watching this as I enjoyed the many Mustangs built for this STGB. Thanks again to the hosts for proposing and managing the GB !!!

• Like 1