Cheers guys, hope we can keep your interest

Feifeitim, Airborne yet? :)

Anyway on wi'motley

With the seats dusted for colour contrast I tried them inside on the newly painted floor panel

Seem to fit with enough room for the collective beside the driver's left knee

Copy-of-Scoutinga5-001.jpg

The IP will have a coaming over some of it but I have left the bodies of the AH and compass showing as they will be visible

Other smaller instruments are available, suitable acronyms too, unhappily my own meagre airtime fades them into history like the rear of their bits and bobs on my model

Never fear, you won't be able to see them missing

Trust me, I was a recce soldier :)

Did I mention the collective? this one has only three parts but will no doubt acquire the odd knob and switch as we go along

Scoutinga6013_zps539f55a8.jpg

I made the bubble windows a permanent fit, here they are masked for outer colour coat and with a dash of grey inside to complete the sidewalls

Scoutinga6009_zpsb1146e5b.jpg

You get a reasonable view of the IP here, I'm still debating the worth of the etch set... Jury still out

Scoutinga6007_zps1b4ba8b5.jpg

The switch panel is painted and awaiting fitment, maybe that will look more awesome...

Here's the support frame under the IP, it awaits paint but there's a fair view of the masked and grey painted bubble windows

Scoutinga6011_zps2a7faacf.jpg

There is a pair of old well weathered (which matters if you are moulding from them, a winter or British spring help toughen them for their new tasks) pegs lying around

Do we wonder what I'm going to risk next?

Scoutinga6-001.jpg

You might be right, I'm hating the thought of filling up the fuselage holes with that distorted plastic so I want to pull some new windows as before but thicker and far more firmly mounted (dont ask!)

I calculate that the new windows can be formed mirror image from the same mouldings, cut to suit

We'll see soonish ;)

Scoutinga6014_zpscd627ba3.jpg

What do you think?

Last for tonight

Taking shape - new tail fin will be made next

Only trying this shot for a look at it

C'n'hardly wait til I'm outta the cabin and back on deck. The rear deck :)

Scoutinga6021_zpsff4305a6.jpg

I know the inner colour is scrappy

I'll prolly touch it all up before floor and walls get their pastel colour stressing ;)

I'm sorry but there dont appear to be replacement photos for this thread so unless I find them this is  the end of the re-editing for the Poor Little Scout

:(

• Like 4

Coming along very nicely Bill! I think with the PE it may be a case of anything it can do you could (probably) do better yourself (eg seat frames...!!) But saying that I hate the stuff, so am probably biased!

K

• Like 1

Too kind chaps

I see scrappy, I see paint that should be airbrushed being damped down and applied by Windsor and Newton Cotman brush instead

(Environmental reasons though, so must be lived with. Hence thinner paint in places, more will be added to flatten the streaks)

Now then, absolutely nothing done over Sunday or Monday. Grandchildren visiting as well as full on attention to club affairs by stewarding and judging at The Brum IPMS show.

I haven't attended a club show since Modex 83 or maybe 84, anyone remember that? Anyway I found it engaging...car parking duties....meet and greet and chatting to lots of our visitors

Which brings me neatly and tidily to

Nice to see you again RobV and it was bloody nice to finally meet the General, Hi Melchie if you are around.

Did Les help you out at all?

So many old friends popped in too, Mike G and Andrew D there was lots of talk about 'water under bridges' as you do

All in all, dammit I enjoyed it, 'spect I'll be at the next one too

And on to the Scout

Chatting to my friend Mike G (Another one!) as we sat behind the club table as you do, it seems he may have the Missile kit somewhere at home.

If he does I hope it will find its way 'over here'

Model making will resume later this week when the 'kids have been dragged away screaming (they like it here wi' us'ns)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

I'm not a heli fan, but do work almost exclusively in 1:72 and this build has my attention - great work! I built this kit as a kid (too) many years ago so I know what you're dealing with!

Ian

Hi again

Been working at making transparencies that fit the fuselage flushly, Humbrol Clear drying before I can cyano them into their holes safely

ish

In the meantime working inside the cabin gets us a collective fitted alongside the centre console and seat cushions being made for the driver chappie. We want him comfy after all

It's been a mostly non modelling week so far but as the grandkids have gone back to their suffrage at home I can have a go again

Here are the seat cushions being crafted from a Helix India Rubber, I did say I want my pilot and his obbo to be comfy

Scoutinga7052_zpsd8753a5b.jpg

Scoutinga7057_zps887cf8ca.jpg

and scribed shaped and painted black and popped up on a blob of modelling clay near its final home

Making the other cushions now

Scoutinga7102_zps36f06f67.jpg

Scoutinga7106_zpsee11060e.jpg

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4

Another one that plucks items from the depths of obscurity to become stars of the modelling universe - pencil eraser seat cushions? Whatever next...??!!

Great stuff Bill!!

Keith

Its for dealing with bounced landings

Nice work bill, looking good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cheers chaps

not been doing much/enough on this recently but managing little updates at a time

like here

Two comfy chairs to pass the time on

The eraser rubber cut to shape as described.

Because the real thing had leatherette seats I have given them both a coat of thinly brushed Humbrol Clear since taking this shot

Scoutinga8010_zps2f45a203.jpg

New windows in an attempt to catch the bowed look of the real thing

I use a lot of old CD cases in my modelling, some to cut up into solid clear stock, others to use for painting and cutting long lines of Tamiya tape for straps and framing on canopies

Scoutinga8011_zpsa832f1a9.jpg

Real modelling at last, on the rear deck by the rotor pylon there is what looks like a hydraulics reservoir and assorted pumping kit

Had fun making them up from a piece of square section Evergreen and a couple of different sized round rods

Throw in a couple of flat polycard remnants and add colour

Suddenly a unit to add to the deck at last

Scoutinga8012_zpsf083cc18.jpg

.There is a sight glass on the rear face of the square tank which will be reasonably shown with a dot of red paint on the boss left proud and the filler cap is just to be painted green

Scoutinga8013_zps303dd6dd.jpg

Scoutinga8014_zpsdabb8e5a.jpg

A touch of XF-58 Olive green and it looks fairly right to me

Scoutinga8021_zpsdcbae463.jpg

This measures 5mm x 4mm and is 4mm high, when I look at the pictures I forget how teensie it is

Here are two of the preshaped window blanks cut to fit and an attempt at fixing them in place with GS hypo glue

Like the eejit I am I tried to give them a safe backstop out of modelling clay whilst the glue dried.

Didnt work, glue didnt hold and now Im about to attempt blooming cyano fog disease after Ive cleaned them and when the recently painted on layer of Clear has dried

Fingers crossed chaps please

Scoutinga8022_zpsecd440c1.jpg

The real problem with the clay was it clung tight as buggery to the new windows and dragged them out with it

You can see the hydraulic tank/pump unit between the two fuselage halves

Im itching to close this up and get on with the tail fin....

Scoutinga8023_zpsb86d8a27.jpg

Oh well, will this do to be going on with

;)

b

• Like 3

Thanks chaps

Mark I wonder if it isnt to do with rotor controls, the red stuff inside the sight glass looks like ATF so some kind of motorised unit purrups ;)

There is still more gubbinses to go on it if I ever get that ambitious

I mixed up some Milliput this afternoon and have begun getting ready to mould a new canopy

With a hole for the SS11 sight mechanism and better fit to the rear pair of windows

Edited by perdu

Lovely stuff Bill, keep going. I was given a gift of an Airfix scout when I was a nipper, by a chap from my father's work, a fellow architect who was also a superb modeller ...the model was incredible, a lot of scratch built detail, dio base, etc which was quite novel back then and my abiding memory of the thing was just how tiny it was !!.....(also managed to blag a flight in one at Tern Hill way back...it was very cosy indeed !)...

• Like 1

Mark I wonder if it isnt to do with rotor controls, the red stuff inside the sight glass looks like ATF so some kind of motorised unit purrups ;)

Ah yes after a little googling I just learnt something new, The Scout/ Wasp had hydraulic assistance on the controls. I'd remembered the commentary on the BBCs Test pilot series from the 80s when Bob Horton was doing avoid curve autorotations and narrator described the Scout as having 'manual' controls I took this to mean un-powered, think now he must have meant no fly by wire. Amazing what sticks in your mind as a teenager. Now I cant remember what happened this morning let alone last week.

• Like 4

What did he just say, I forget.....

Anyway Bill, I think I seem to remember seeing some neat work on a little helicopter somewhere, just now.... :unsure::)

Good luck with the superglue, fingers & toeses crossed...!!

Keith

• Like 2