Just one slight word of caution about "if (when more like) it gets c*cked up just remove it and start over". It might be just me & the way I use them but there are times when the stuff sticks like glue & try as I might I can't get it all off without staining the paint. It may be the paint is too matt, too grainy or I've just been too heavy handed in applying the pastel, but just be wary that it may not all come off in the wash....!! :whistle: I also find artists pastels adhere much better than the new all singing and dancing modelling specific pigments from people like Mig productions. I don't know why as it looks & feels the same as ground up pastel. Maybe it's just a way to get you to buy their pigment fixers....??!! :winkgrin:

Really interesting tests Bill, & some new effects there that I haven't come across before - good stuff!!

• Like 2

Hi Roger, not very much going on at the mo' so let me see

I fitted the jet pipe temp probes top and bottom to the tailpipes, but this looks doomed to failure. Friday will tell...

(No not Steve Friday, I just have no time tomorrow daytime. Off on a jolly with a mate to Derbyshire)

Scoutinga915061_zps22d3b0f8.jpg

I've been slowly working up the underside detail, never to be seen of course but it is wot we do isnt it :)

Fitted a couple of lamps, an aerial mounting plate and masked off the little windows round the nose with PVA wood glue

The last time I used it it picked off the plastic easily, (don't do this at home children unless you have an adult standing by...or if I come back to you and say IT WORKED Yahoo) This was easy to add to the glazing, some of which is oversized and will need painting to the right size

Show you later what I mean

The tail fin has been enlarged to suit my plans and the modified larger tail rotor painted and striped, some of the black decal stripes need final trimming but I'd like to let them dry well first

Scoutinga915072_zps2cf55f34.jpg

The tail fin was too short by a mm or two (who measures huh?) and too shallow on its rear rake, five thou poly card soon whipped that into shape (did you see...)

The main drive gearbox (I expect that's what it is) has been added to the after end of the motor bed and two fillers have been let into the centre compartment. Fuel? Anyone?

Scoutinga915073_zps68bd2b79.jpg

You can see a bit more of the deck detailing here in white, that seems to be a filler or plug panel. Three little caps on a rail

The new and modified side strakes are very visible, hope they disappear into the background after painting

Starboard side of the tail shows the additional five thou panelling and Airfix's not too bad tail rotor power assembly

This won't need a lot doing to it, I have also made the new, larger (could you have guessed?) tailplane

The kit one is too thick and too narrow, photo of that to come later

Scoutinga915074_zps9ba32272.jpg

Ah yes, this pic shows the additional detail around the upper deck, taken a while ago though

The hydraulic pump equipment shows nicely here though

Scoutinga915014_zpse7e6eea5.jpg

You can see the revised plastic seats in place and glued in tidy like ;)

And More Friday or Saturday (but not while the Doctor is on...)

b

• Like 3

I've been slowly working up the underside detail, never to be seen of course but it is wot we do isnt it :)

It is isn't it - why do we do that? :)

And More Friday or Saturday (but not while the Doctor is on...)

I reckon this one will be a good one....

Looking good Bill - how long did it take to get all those black decal strips cut and nicely aligned on the miniscule tail rotor?

Ahyeswell

I did cheat there Steve

The very nearest the hub black decal stripe was hand painted for easiness

I tried several times to get the film to sit over the hub brace but it just wouldnt play

So out came the black paint just for a touch in on the blade

I seem to have missed the underside view (with added window masking) out

I must be getting as senile as I feel

Yertez

Lamps with overize reflector getting prepared to trim off

Scoutinga915070_zps67e8cc01.jpg

• Like 2

When you say "enlarged" tail-rotor, you mean from microscopic to minuscule I assume?

Detail here is fantastic. A nostalgic build that brings back those memories of a Saturday afternoon trip to Woolies followed by modelling (in the loosest sense of the definition) - More tube glue than green styrene in my case, with the inevitable crash and burn in the garden. Thank you.

• Like 2

Molardoc

can you honestly say that they werent the best times we had modelling?

Not sure I can

DETAIL IS THE DEVIL

And the devil is in the details they say

I hope we can sustain the nostalgia in the face of further inevitable cossksupps

;)

This build is getting me fired up to have a go at my kit. Note to self: I do not need to start any more complicated projects at the moment! Great work.

Martin

A nostalgic build that brings back those memories of a Saturday afternoon trip to Woolies followed by modelling (in the loosest sense of the definition) - More tube glue than green styrene in my case, with the inevitable crash and burn in the garden. Thank you.

can you honestly say that they werent the best times we had modelling?

My Dad and I would build kits alongside each other. Then after we admired (?) them for a day two we used to take them out in the back garden and shoot at em with an air rifle. Any kit we were especially pleased with avoided the fate for a bit longer - but they were all doomed. But boy was it fun.

The vegetable patch at the bottom of the garden always had trench systems and fortifications for the Airfix 1/32 soldiers (remember them?) to try and hide in. It did them no good. The air rifle had a telescopic sight and there only needed to be a head peeking out........

Great days.

• Like 1

... for the Airfix 1/32 soldiers (remember them?)

Great days.

Hard to forget, they're still available;

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=7897&code=&product_type_id=&scale_id=953&keyword_search=&setPerPage=25&currency_id=

The air rifle had a telescopic sight...

So did mine. I wonder what happened to it...

My best mate had a wonderful oak tree in his (rather large) garden. We used to climb up as high as we dared & tie our latest bad guy German or Japanese aeroplane to a branch (it was only 20 years after VJ day...!!) & shoot at them for hours (we were lousy shots!) or until the pellets ran out! If it was near November, instead of shooting at them if it was too cold outside(!!), we would retire to the upstairs spare back room which overlooked the garden and attach a banger (remember them?!) to the latest Junkers or Mitsubishi with an elastic band. Light the blue touch paper, wait as long as we dared & launch it out over the garden. Time it right & you had a spectacular mid air explosion of plastic bits! With the luck of niaive (& stupid) kids we never mistimed it so one blew up in our hands!

Great days indeed

K

• Like 1

Too kind Roger, but thank you

we aims to please sah ;)

Anyway, update time

Made and fitted the horizontal stabiliser, Airfix''s has been perfectly OK for the small tailed version they moulded (looks to be in a reasonable ratio to the wrong size fin) but I've increased its size to suit the plans. Comparing the plans with many zillions of photos of Scout they seem right to me.

What do you think?

Scoutinga916030_zps26bf6be7.jpg

Scoutinga916033_zps1d0b6b74.jpg

Photos are a tad blurry, sorry

I have also been testing some vac formed canopy mouldings and the chosen one seems a pretty good fit, the rear windows will be added separately 'cos they arent very sharp off the buck

So poor in fact that I am about to remake it

Airfix gave the canopy a fairly flat profile but both plans and a variety of pictures of the real thing show the canopy should arch quite visibly over the front of the cockpit. So I have added lots of milliput to reshape [redofromstart] the curve

Scoutinga916043_zps02c6bbe9.jpg

My trusty six inch half round comes into its own in Milliput shaping...lovely jubbley

Scoutinga916044_zpsd5a191e6.jpg

These pics all seem a tad big, sorry if they are mucking up your screen :(

Here's an early version polished to test

Scoutinga916046_zps31d0dfdf.jpg

Operational test may be tomorrow if I can avoid some kind of Bank Holiday activity :)

Some work on the rotor head also been agoing on

Here the lower part of the doohickeys that alter the blade incidence being made up

A section of Evergreen tube cut to length and four pieces of rod added at an angle

Scoutinga916052_zps994eaa12.jpg

And set aside to harden its joints

Scoutinga916053_zps428a8b96.jpg

The main rotor head as moulded by Airfix would never fly, but does make a very strong little rotor set.

I cut off the connecting bars and have added the turning links and the damper units to each blade root

Here the newer stuff is being checked for lining up over the parts I made earlier

Scoutinga916055_zpsc8559f98.jpg

.Now the connecting rods go on and checked for position

Scoutinga916001_zps1554b161.jpg

In the mean time I added a little more of the underside details, invisible if the model isnt taking a turn around the room

So, obviously going to be very visible quite often "thokka thokka thokka thokka tho...."

Just because ;)

Scoutinga916003_zpsc8990ad1.jpg

Now we test fit the rotor head on the model, it starts to look like a Scout. Here we see the flat top canopy moulded off the unmodified kit one too, nice and a decent unglued fit but no ceegar ;)

Scoutinga916016_zpsd4673696.jpg

Sadly there's another drawback

The rotor gear doesnt work with the engine in place

Scoutinga916012_zps7329fe2d.jpg

but hey we're getting there, minor trimming will soon have that looking nicer

If you look under the jetpipes you can see an shady piece at the back of the transmission shaft

A disc of Evergreen tube sliced exceeding fine, a slot cut into a length of Evergreen square section bar and a length of Slater's rod bunged through

Like so

Scoutinga916013_zpsf49d7d2f.jpg

gives us the transmission brake assembly

The brake disc seems to be some kind of composite, in a fetching shade of 'vert' with the disc caliper in a rather boring grey

Have they no sense of colour balance at Westlands?

Scoutinga916017_zps5b90a237.jpg

So here we are at close of play this evening

Nice enough

Will be better

Scoutinga916018_zps50804f1d.jpg

Thanks for looking and thank you all who have been helping me along with chat and banter

Really does make it worth getting into a WIP

:thumbsup:

• Like 10

Cheers chaps

Scale?

not a bad idea, next time around OK but...

I am a poor old pensioner you know so I'll see if I can scare up a 50p coin instead ;)

I have been working on the bigger bulgey canopy today, if you remember yesterday's pictures I put a layer of Milliput OVER the Airfix canopy and shaped the new bulgey bit

Polished it all up this morning and shoved it onto my home brewed vac former

Fired up the gas lamp and shoved 240 AC into Henry, the garage vacuum

I have been trying to get to like PETg, like Mark and Steve but I am not over keen, a search for acetate commences tomorrow at my local Artists Supplier Vesey Arts centre who say they have it (on their website)

PETg seems to be very hard and quite unforgiving to the old fingernail for extra detailing method I use but I did manage to get a decent pull off the mould

Which is good because the buck mould just kinda exploded when I tried to pull it out of the cooling down workpiece :(

The extra Milliput pieces stuck into the workpiece and the Airfix canopy leapt out of the Milliput strengthener body

Might have been a disaster, but the one piece it gave me seems OK

I have cleaned out the Milliput and its odd residue, washed the piece and carved the PETg to shape, removing the un-needed bits

I have sanded the surface ripples that the faulty moulding left on the flat piiece, polished it with my nail buiffing kit and then dipped it all in some of my old school Johnson's Klear

I don't have much of it left but I'm still not entirely sure of the Humbrol substitute, so it had to be

Seen here against the monitor screen picture of a real Scout for comparison

What do we think? I like it because its not as flat as the kit part and the domed area looks about right

Scoutinga917001_zpsa6d96529.jpg

The upper portion has fogged a little in the picture, for some reason it doesn't look fogged in real life

As the upper bit is due a coat or two of transparent blue when I have been to the LMS tomorrow I don't think it will hurt

Here's the front view, the clear screens look OK to me and the domed shape shows well

Scoutinga917002_zps9292ff52.jpg

The nail buffing pad from the 99p shop is here supporting nobly, the model. Four of these for 99p, great bargain

Also been trimming the rotor head details so they will miss the engine under power ;)

The engine will be slightly higher at the rear when it's all ready to go but generally looks OK I think

Scoutinga917005_zps8da826ed.jpg

Tonight I have been mostly plotting the fitment of the JPT probes and the unit they will be fitted to that hangs between the jet pipes, practically in mid air :)

night all

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4

Hi Perdu,

thought you may find these photos useful, I took them at the REME Museum at Arborfield last year.

All the best

Steve

Picture510_zpsc16d3f27.jpg

Picture507_zps2345d315.jpg

Picture503_zps3d995031.jpg

Picture484_zps90d1bcd2.jpg

Picture478_zps81b3164e.jpg

Picture459_zps8e4a7b11.jpg

Picture456_zpsdecbccac.jpg

Picture452_zpsd2362068.jpg

Picture449_zps8347ac73.jpg

Picture445_zps89180d51.jpg

Picture437_zps9833b805.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you Steve

:thumbsup:

if I sent someone to the museum to take some specific pictures, these would be them

Only thing I'm missing now is the ground handling wheels fixtures and I'm pretty well upto speed with them now

Your pictures have the load carrying hook, just what I needed

Thank you very much

These are saved in Scout file

LOLOLOLOL

What can I say?

Exactly the ones I needed :thumbsup:

Steve you are a blooming amazing bloke

I suppose I'd better get on and finish this now then :)

Are you planning a similar attack on the Airfix kit, such excellent detail screams for a build so I feel honoured that you have shared them

Thank you very much

Thanks, I've built a few in the past and I'm on with a What if version at the mo', but I've been thinking I may have a go at a slightly large one. :banghead:

All the best

Steve

• Like 1