photo-etch

is there a preferred direction to spit and curse?

Not enjoying attempting to attach a thin spindly leg arrangement to a beautiful pierced metal seat back rest

Slaters rod may be preferred over here where I am :(

Scoutinga4_002.jpg

Scoutinga4_035.jpg

Mark (Cheshiretaurus) posted a link to a supplier of PETg 0.5mm

I used H******* Games to order on Wednesday night Thursday morning-ish

Came this morning (Saturday ... for archive purposes) and it works brilliantly

You saw the moulded window ^^^^^^^ up there a bit with a deep blue cast no doubt

Well the port blown window came out great in clear film but I had fears of having to use the bluish stuff

Fortunately the Postman's knock today meant I could press on and get used to the new stuff

Scoutinga5-010.jpg

A few lost ones first though

and then hurrah, both windows now attached with the Formula 560 and I can press on

a view from the side

Ahead full on

Scoutinga3_010.jpg

I feel a bit ambivalent about the etch stuff

Brilliant modelling at the factory but it's making me feel useless as I try to hold fragile looking bits still enough for the stuporgoo to hold and grip

As you saw I used a dollop of modelling clay to hold the seat and frame in proximity, which worked a bit

Judgement reserved until I get some grey paint on it all :(

Preparing to trim the fin to add the new part next

maybe tonight, quien sabe?

• Like 4

photo-etch

is there a preferred direction to spit and curse?

Not enjoying attempting to attach a thin spindly leg arrangement to a beautiful pierced metal seat back rest

Slaters rod may be preferred over here where I am :(

Just perseverance and miniscule amounts of CA Bill.

I find if a PE part doesnt stick on the first attempt and the CA starts to set, subsequent attempts will not stick and only creates an accumulation of CA. If its just 2 parts at that stage I soak the parts in acetone to remove the CA, Have a cup of tea and try again, if its several parts and the rest of the assembly has gone together ok, I clean off the CA with an acetone soaked cotton bud, have a cup of tea and try again.

• Like 2

I wonder what acetone substitute would be safe to use around my missus

:(

"Have you been using any chemicals, paints or otherwise subscribed materials in pursuance of your nefarious pastime?"

Aint much fun round 'ere some days

Fifty pence!

You got it for fifty pence, what a great deal, best of the century :thumbsup:

Must start locating plans for mine, bound to be easier than finding another Aeroclub at a price I can afford

(OK I guess it wasn't REALLLLY fifty pence was it?) :)

More good work, I suspect this is going to end up as being the "go to" build for those of us having a Scout to do.

Martin

Fifty pence!

You got it for fifty pence, what a great deal, best of the century :thumbsup:

Must start locating plans for mine, bound to be easier than finding another Aeroclub at a price I can afford

(OK I guess it wasn't REALLLLY fifty pence was it?) :)

Nope.

I originally said £150 and Aaron fell off his bike laughing :rofl::rolleyes::lol: .

So then I said I was kidding and said I'd swap it for an Italeri Wessex,Aaron tried to palm me off

with a 1/48th one and I said no,a 1/72nd one.

So off he went a nabbed a Falklands anniversary set wiv a Sea 'Arrier in it too.

Done deal,Aaron got teeeny weeny Skeeter,I got Wessex and SHar.

Happy days all round :D .

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 2

Some days you get THE DEAL

I did at Three Quid a bag for my Scout

And with that

I've given up with that nonsensical etch framework purporting to be made of tubing

I have some 0.020" Evergreen rod and I'm forming it around the original Airfix kit seat backrest

The exact shape of the etch seat panels and blatantly round in section

number one is setting under tension on my board at the moment

I'll try to get a picture later

OK then

Pictures dutifully done folks

First the basic unit from Airwaves, unwanted Waspy bits removed

From checking various walkarounds it is obvious that Wasps had deeper seatback casings which needed removal for the Scout

These have to be for survival packs, dinghys and suchlike no doubt

Scout seats look to be the same basic framing with just a bare backplate and a black(?) backrest cushion

The Airwaves kit has spindly framework designed to look like the tubing structure that frames the seats

On a good Wednesday with a circular wind pattern hitting us from the Azores maybe

I'm certainly NOT skilled enough to be able to make use of it so I have built a frame from Evergreen 0.020" rodding

Seen here with the etch frame I gave up on

After a modicum of basic working, here's a seat ready for detailing

Scoutinga4_035.jpg

The flat back of the etch seat needs its four holes to be dished towards the back of the 'copter. I may need to work on that a bit more

DUE TO A CONTINUITY ERROR AFTER LOSING PHOTOBUCKETOFJUNK I AM REPLACING ANY PICTURES I CAN FIND IN SEQUENCE, I THINK IT'S INEVITABLE THAT SOME PHOTOS HAVE DISAPPEARED, SORRY FOLKS

Martin, it's very kind of you to say that. Much too flattering by far but I'll bask in the glow of that for a day or two no doubt

• Like 3

When you see the prices those Skeeter kits go for on ebay I'd say I got a pretty good deal :)

Great work on the bubble windows Bill.

And I like what you've done with the seats. I've used that airwaves etch set before. It was one of my first experiences with etched metal after market stuff and I found it quite friendly for a novice albeit very fiddly. That was without all the fancy etch bending tools I have since purchased - I'm currently using Eduard's etch set for the Bell 47 - even with all the fancy tools I've found it a real challenge and it has tested my patience some what which is the polite way of saying its an absolute pain in the...

• Like 2

I dont think I will be loooking for the etch set for my Bell 47 Aaron

I know it will look a little finer but there will be too many angles from which the round tubes will not look round enough for me ;)

I will enjoy seeing how you tackle it

I have started building the second seat

How weird is this? Same framework but sits about six or more inches closer to the deck so same but different :(

Also started planning the framework behind the gauges slightly thinner materials to find for an upright dash support tube

Stretch sprue I 'xpect

Pics tomorrow I hope

Thank you guys for joining in, I'm glad people find it interesting

• Like 1

Hi Bill,

I just wandered in after Mr. Fritag mentioned something about a Scout build going on over here in his JP thread - and glad I'm here as there's some real neat stuff going on already. So catching up - love the finish on the exhaust, those clothes peg moulds are a great idea (will have to go shopping for some wooden ones, as all SWMBO's are plastic!) and the resulting doors look fantastic (& good to see that such good mouldings can still be achieved without one of them there fancy dentists machines!) and finally I'm with Nigel, I think your replacement round placcie seat frames look much better than that weedy flat p.e.stuff!

So, I think that's me caught up, looking forward to more...

keith

Hi Keith, welcome aboard mate

Thank you all for your encouragement, in the light of which I did build rodding onto the etch seat bodies

Here about ten times bigger than real life is how they are tonight

All of the interior of Scout is the same old light grey, I'm using Modelair 71050 Gris Claro (? Me no spikka de lingo?)

Looks purty well like the paint on the ones in the BM walkaround so it'll do for me

Here goes

Scoutinga5-005.jpg

The collected stupor goo on the observers chair will vanish once the seat cushions are in place

I have dusted the seats with more artists pastels, so the dust can change the hue of the seats and 'lift' them out of the general samenessness

I've been using this small square of sandpaper for years now, rub the chalk of choice on the square then lift it and dust it lightly on the model with my Cotman number four sable brush

Scoutinga5_019.jpg

the colours you can see were also used on the jetpipes

seeing the right colour emerge is a real part of the pleasure of modelmaking, when the base colour might frighten the horses :)

||||||

here's the two seats in for a place fitting

Scoutinga5_018.jpg

I will be able to fit the very thin collective betwixt seat

Not quite as sure about the observer's bespoke seating :)

Tonight I have been building but not yet photographing the inner floor and dashboard gauge backs and the stiffening rod that keeps it all safely aloft

finally, the bubble masked off for the usual stuff

Scoutinga6_004.jpg

On the morrow kind gentlefolks, 'til then have a fine night

• Like 4