Ferrari 250 GTO

This is the Airfix Hitech re-box of Gunzes' 250 GTO Competition release (minus the full engine detail)

its just about OOB but i had to buy in new lenses and make all the other clear parts (windows etc) from 0.005" acetate. Finished with Zero paints ferrari red and their gloss clearcoat. Its quite a simple kit but even OOB looks the dogs dangly bits.

14647894925_154a664529_h.jpg

14644655361_a1f73bebbf_h.jpg

14667805023_e680b88b1e_h.jpg

14647895315_20021a9f8e_h.jpg

14461476067_8df0c0af9b_h.jpg

14647895275_b4fca76807_h.jpg

• Like 10

Just brilliant from top to bottom-literally. Superb finish and your work with windows and lenses pays big visual dividends. The gunmetal-style finish below is subdued and evokes bare steel very well. Nice metallic look to it.

And your photography is not slouchy either...

You definitely have good eyedears... :D

That's utterly gorgeous! Perfect photographs, although I'm sort of glad you can see a bit of your house in the last one - it would be too perfect otherwise.

Can I ask a couple of questions?

- It looks like you've used velvet for a backdrop, I guess this should give a deep black (which my sheet of black paper isn't doing) but how do you deal with it glinting?

- Is this really only 1/24?

Thanks!

Will

codger , thanks. i just realised that the underside still has some grey flory wash on it i places. :shit: i have cleaned it off now.

will - yes a black velvety type back drop and a black glass dining room table. its not true velvet , but its close. there is some glinting here and there, especially when using the diffuser lights.

i try to angle the lights so they dont point straight at the backdrop and under expose a stop or so if possible to keep it black. this worked ok here as the model is a high contrast red with no real dark coulours. but not so well on darker models that need more light. if the model looks too dark you can add fill flash in your photo editing software to brighten the model only and lift it away from the backdround. and the any glinting can be removed with the clone brush. usually i would cover the table with the same material to stop and room reflecting on the top down shot, i was a bit lazy last night :whistle: these pics just had a touch of sharpening done on them.

black paper is surprisingly reflective. i see that a lot of ppl use a blue background as its very neutral.

yup its 1/24

• Like 1

Beautiful job. That Airfix box is a good way to get the Gunze kit, isn't it? Did you mould the windscreen and rear window at all, or just rely on the flexibility of the acetate? And are those the original decals? If so, they're in better nick than mine were!

Bestest,

M

Beautiful job. That Airfix box is a good way to get the Gunze kit, isn't it? Did you mould the windscreen and rear window at all, or just rely on the flexibility of the acetate? And are those the original decals? If so, they're in better nick than mine were!

Bestest,

M

hi. just relied on the flexibility. its not perfect by any means! the front screen could only be secure along the top and bottom edges due to the compound curves. it took a lot of superglue and prayers. not having the original parts made molding difficult. the thin acetate just deformed rather than conform to the shape of the opening when heated. thicker acetate may have worked better maybe? yup original decals. they were not too bad but the edges were a bit rough. a thick clearcoat, a good sand down level and then another clearcoat re-sand and polish flattened them. they did not like being cut though.

i sort of wish i had splashed out on the full detail gunze kit but it was 4 times the price! not worth it for a rough cast metal engine block that i probably wouldnt look at again once finished.

Congratulations, it looks fantastic. I'd heard it wasn't a good kit but you've managed to conjour a beauty out the box. Magic pics too...

Colin

• Like 1

A simply wonderful model. I have a house full of Ferraris, (none in the garage though), and would be delighted to have this sitting among them.

The 250 is probably the nicest of them all, well done,

Sean

• Like 1

thank Sean, i have five ferraries waiting and two built, i love them too. do you have a link to some pics of yours?

• Like 1

Unfortunately not, after the modelling room was redecorated, none of them got back in. Mostly my 1/43 die-cast Ferraris made it back, mostly on account of lack of room.

I'd still find room for the 250 though,

Sean

• 5 years later...

I'm in the process of building one of these. How on earth did you paint the etch bonnet badge!!

If my build comes out half as good as this one I'll be over the moon :clap: