AEG GIV, Sierra Scale 1/72 vacform

Bit more progress at the Front. Finished the nacelle support struts and reinforced the joints with CA. Had a dry run with the white metal Mercedes and they didn't collapse under the weight so happy enough. Cut the inner interplane struts from the Contrail material but the G.IV is a strange bird as far as the strut arrangement goes. Normally the engines have struts vertical to the upper wings, for example the Vimy or Gotha, and these form a handy trestle to set the top wing on to and then the cabanes and outers can be added. The G.IV hasn't got these type of nacelle struts so a different method will have to be devised. In the meantime I've added the tail planes. Drilled holes in the planes to receive support pins in the fuselage. Rudder next and then I'll have to individually locate the inner struts and build some sort of card support structure.

409977054.jpg

409977055.jpg

Regards, Steve

Edited by stevehed

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks All, comments are appreciated. A little more progress. Have been trying to decide on the order on work so that I don't build myself into a muddle. Windscreens can be left 'til later but nearly left off the exhausts which would have made attachment an adventure if the top wing was already on. Am going to try locating the top wing without a gig and use the old upside down method. Fingers crossed. The engines were no trouble and a mixture of filler to level them out and superglue gel to adhere to the nacelle inners worked well. A couple of radiator pipes for effect and then the top wing, says he.

410052768.jpg

410052767.jpg

Regards, Steve

• Like 1

Thanks again, folks. Been on with the nerve wracking bit recently. No jig this time just some eyeballed struts and two tins of paint and a cloths peg each. The fin/rudder must be in place as a support. Initially I had the rear struts a touch too long which lifted the trailing edges above the height of the leaders. Trimmed a couple of mille and then found the rudder was too high and was stopping the struts from entering the location holes. This is where the ruler came in again as the tapered sides allowed it to be pushed under the wings as support. The rudder had to be lowered and this was achieved by letting it drop over the edge of the book. This book has ruled lines and I use it to line everything up. It was a bit fragile at this stage so when the cement had set the cabane struts were dry tested and then glued into place. Much stronger now and should be capable of taking my usual rougher handling.

410079323.jpg

410079322.jpg

410079321.jpg

Regards, Steve

Edited by stevehed

Hi All and thank you for the kind comments. The Mark 1 has been on form lately but it has been known to perform the occasional snafu. Just a quick update. Top wing and struts now secure and rigging has started. The GIV is metal framed and thankfully there is minimal rigging compared to other twin types such as the Gotha or 0/400. Undercarriage struts were cut from the supplied material and the axles are injected and kit supplied. Looks like an AEG bomber now and it's lots of fiddly bits still to come.

410144923.jpg

410144922.jpg

Regards, Steve

Edited by stevehed
  • Like 1

Hi All,

Going to call it done. Fiddly bits included prop guards which I had left over from a Vimy, bombs from Roden's Gotha and Matchboxe's Heyford that looked quite Germanic. Gun rings came with the kit but only one was required although both guns were used. Gunners are Airfix and are six inches shorter now. Tail skid is ex Vimy and the tail struts are plastic rod. Underwing bomb racks were made from hss, nothing fancy just a suitable oblong to hang the bombs on. All in all a very enjoyable build and my first Sierrascale. Better builders than I could really go to town. When I build the bulkheads at the beginning I should have cut out a hatchway in the rearmost for a another downward firing mg. Gently score the under fuselage hatch so it could opened and there's a nasty surprise to be seen. Bomb bays could be similarly treated and more details included. Just a couple of examples but I'm pleased with the end result. The AEG was the smallest of the mainstream German bombers as can be seen in comparison to the Gotha. Rest of pictures to follow in the Gallery.

410209821.jpg

Regards, Steve

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I like this plane ever since l saw the real deal at the aircraft museum in Ottawa. I know WNW 1/32 scale version of this aircraft but space and expense keeps my bombers to 1/72. I've been searching but this particular beast is hard to find.