Renault FT-17 French tank, Meng 1/35

Looking spot on Jörgen. The chipping looks very natural.

One thing I would comment on though. The large wheels and rear sprocket rotate, correct? If so would they not be more heavily chipped due to contact with the tracks? Also I think they would benefit from being rotated slightly, if you are able, to break up the perfect flow of the camouflage.

Just my two penneth worth.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys. The wheels and sprockets are still rotating, so I can reach painting/weathering. When the tracks goes on they will indeed be fixed in a position not conforming with the paint pattern to break it up and add some life. The same goes for the turret. The wheels should probably be more chipped as well, I don't think I'm done with the chipping yet.

It's a bit odd that Meng didn't include a French WW1 scheme in the kit with the riveted turret when they did in the kit I'm building, albeit only one (mine) of four schemes.

I added some rust stains and small streaks yesterday, but never got round to picture. Still a lot more to do on that front.

I have messed around with this a bit more over the last few days. Today I also added the last detail parts. The steel wire and chain are not included in the kit but seemed a good addition when looking at various pictures. I think it needs more work, but it's getting closer to adding the tracks and start learning how to create some mud.

FT17_104.jpg

FT17_105.jpg

FT17_106.jpg

FT17_107.jpg

• Like 3

I like it, there's a logical pattern to the wear and none of it is too pronounced.....Maybe a misted on layer of dust might take the edge off the contrasting colours slightly and tie the panels together? :hmmm:

At the end of the day weathering is very much a matter of taste and from what I can see there are no absolutes when it comes to technique or media.

• Like 1

Tonight I fitted the tracks. It wasn't an easy operation to make all the links line up and get everything to sit right. In the end it looked like this with everything secured with glue. I think it will look OK after all the weathering that must follow now.

FT17_108.jpg

FT17_109.jpg

FT17_110.jpg

• Like 3

You are going to paint the tracks while attached? You are a brave man - I found it much easier to paint the tracks before attaching them as it meant it was easier to apply all the various washes and weathering

• Like 1

You are going to paint the tracks while attached? You are a brave man - I found it much easier to paint the tracks before attaching them as it meant it was easier to apply all the various washes and weathering

Well, yes and no. I have sprayed each link individually first, using three different colours on them. The washing, weathering and what it might be will be done attached. If that was a good or bad decision I don't know. It seemed logic but I haven't done this before, so we'll see.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't touched this for a while, honestly as I'm scared of the weathering. I have no idea about this and whatever I tried on some scrap looked, well, crap... Anyway I didn't knew what I was doing before with this, so the other day I just decided to continue doing what I don't know how to do to get this to an end...

I messed around with pigment and dry earth paint and after a first session I had this. I sprayed it with pigment fixer and left it overnight.

FT17_111.jpg

Then I continued with some more of the same and some wet earth paint. I also did some light dry brushing with silver on the track links edges and some rust washing. Not sure what this looks like. I somehow feel I'm too much of an engineer and too little of an artist for this kind of work. This is so far from what I know anything about...

FT17_112.jpg

FT17_113.jpg

I decided to make a small base to avoid thinking of some scenery, just something that gives a ground surface and leaves the rest to imagination as the tank will just stand there with most hatches and covers open. I'm thinking it has been standing there for a day, maybe drying up. Possibly it needs some sort of repair or maintenance. Or the battle is over. I don't know. I cut a small piece of wood that I varnished. Then I masked off the edges and smeared and stippled a layer of wall plaster, covered it with thin plastic film and used the tank to press some tracks into it.

FT17_114.jpg

Today I masked the edges again and painted the base with a coat of Humbrol Sand. Then I did some darker washing and lighter dry brushing. When dry I brushed some flat clear and sprinkled a tiny amount of coarse sand on it giving me this.

FT17_115.jpg

I brushed a very light dusting of the earth pigment on the base and the glued the tank in its tracks. I feel I'm reaching the end of what I can do with this build so it was time for this step. I then used some more earth pigment around the tracks and the base and sprayed it with pigment fixer.

FT17_116.jpg

Then I rounded off today's work with an overall coat of flat clear to seal everything and get rid of a number of shiny and satin patches. I think I have a long way to go to understand the art of weathering, but having said that I do think it looks better than I expected when I started this build. Next I will remove all the taped hatches and the turret, hoping that no nasty surprises show up... I have almost forgotten that there is detail underneath.

FT17_117.jpg

FT17_118.jpg

• Like 3

The layered pigment on the tracks has worked very well indeed, maybe just a hint of shine on the cleats and they'll be spot on.....I also like the way you've tied them into the base, the logic of your weathering is always impeccable, you should do more of these (I recommend the small ones)! :wicked:

• Like 2

very nice weathering, i like it a lot Jorgen realy. As Sgt. says, you could do something with the track edges, which are touching the road when the tank is running (srry i do not know the right word) - drybrushing gunmetal or just run over it slightly with pencil, to give it a bit of metal shine, just a bit on the edges. But better ask Sgt., which part of the track it is, i realy cant find the word :( i could point it out but not describe.. :/

• Like 1

That looks excellent! I like that it's not ultra-dirty since that lets the camouflage show with a degree of purity on the upper surfaces, it looks very lively.

That said I agree with the above suggestions - if you rub a pencil on fine sandpaper and apply the graphite powder that creates by dipping your finger in it, knocking off the excess and rubbing it gently over the raised track cleats it'll look nicely metallic. Go carefully though - if you get it on the edges it spoils the illusion a bit.

HTH,

Will

• Like 2

I somehow feel I'm too much of an engineer and too little of an artist for this kind of work.

I love this statement. You are clearly an excellent engineer as well as an artist with a bit of a modesty complex. Your builds are some of the best I have ever seen. Keep them coming Jorgen.

• Like 2

Thanks for all support and encouragement, it means a lot.

I agree with you all about the tracks. I had done a little dry brushing with silver, but I see that it more or less disappeared during the pigment dusting. I have now applied some graphite powder and repeated a little bit of silver dry brushing to the raised edge of the links. I think it did a clear difference IRL, not sure how much is seen in these pictures.

As can be seen I also removed all hatches and the masking. It seems to have sealed properly, thankfully.

FT17_119.jpg

FT17_120.jpg

• Like 3