Renault FT-17 French tank, Meng 1/35

How did I miss this? :doh:

Incredible work Jorgen, your weathering is very well thought out and beautifully executed.....Was really impressed with the radiating oil stains around the fan and starter housings and the pooled oil effect on the floor. Damned crying shame that you had to hide it all away, but we know it's there now and can attest to its quality. :coolio:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for the support guys. It's time to get a bit more done to this one as I received some paint during last week.

I masked off all interior faces in preparation for the sand brown base colour. I hope it will be sealed enough.

FT17_77.jpg

The prepared track links were also taped to a sheet for painting.

FT17_78.jpg

I feel more lost with this painting than I ever did when I started painting my figures a few years ago, or the Bullfinches. I have no idea about this. I started by painting a steel like colour on lower surfaces and edges, then I followed with red-brown random spraying that could be primer. If I can do some scratching of the later colours I hope to come back to some of this.

FT17_79.jpg

The tarp for the rear rack was painted a greyish mix as a base and the tools got a coat of Alclad "Steel".

FT17_80.jpg

Then I sprayed the track links in Alcad "Exhaust manifold", "Burnt Iron" and "Jet Exhaust", a third in each colour for variation. The outside then got an overspray with a mix of red-brown and gun metal in a random varying coverage. This is a base for further work to be done when they are installed.

FT17_81.jpg

FT17_82.jpg

Here is the paint and stuff I ordered. It may look like I think I will do a better job just by getting the right products, but nothing can be further from truth. I just don't have much stuff like this in stock as this build is quite far from my usual subjects, so I need some basics to experiment with. We'll see where all this ends later...

FT17_83.jpg

• Like 1

I too think it will be interesting to see how I paint this, not least as I don't really know how to do it. :)

Today I sprayed the sand brown (yellow) colour. Luckily I couldn't find any spray dust under the masking.

I have read somewhere that these tanks during this period of time were usually painted all over in this colour, and then the camouflage colours were painted on top of this with pretty much random variations. I don't know if this is correct, but my plan is to work like that, so I made sure to get good coverage from all possible angles on all the separate pieces.

FT17_84.jpg

Next I plan to fit the complete suspension, tool box and rear skid to the hull permanently, and the turret and all hatches in closed position with some temporary method. Then mask the complete thing roughly and spray the red-brown and green camouflage, leaving what's in a spray shadow with the cover it gets.

• Like 2

Here everything is tacked on with tape and/or bluetac, again hopefully sealed enough. It's now ready for masking.

FT17_88.jpg

I forgot taking a photo of the first masking, but it felt like the weirdest masking job I've ever done, thin bluetac rolls and pieces of tape between on a fully assembled model. Not what I usually do. I wonder how this will turn out.

Anyway, the green was sprayed first. Again my non existing photographic skills shows, the green is darker and browner in reality than this. Not only do I not know how to paint things like this, I also can't get a true picture of it. Never mind, next there will be more bluetac rolls with tape and then the red-brown colour goes on.

FT17_89.jpg

FT17_90.jpg

I also painted some shadows and highlights on the tarp and a gloss coat on the tool shafts.

FT17_91.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys. I'm really just experimenting, but some paint does indeed make a difference.

Keen to get this part of the work done I masked off for the red-brown this morning. More bluetac and tape. It still feels weird to me.

FT17_92.jpg

FT17_93.jpg

And in between some real (?) world work I sprayed to colour. This is what I brought out from my spray box.

FT17_94.jpg

FT17_95.jpg

After some drying time I started unmasking. What will this be like? All the tape is removed.

FT17_96.jpg

And after a bit of fiddling all bluetac was also removed. It doesn't look too bad. Some minor completing work with a brush needed but not much at all.

FT17_97.jpg

FT17_98.jpg

With the touch up done I couldn't wait to get the black outlining done. After studying some pictures I decided to do this with a brush on free hand and deliberately doing it shaky and uneven. The lines really made the thing take off. I'm quite happy with the result so far. These last pictures are also a bit more like the real colours, it's still a bit less "toy like" IRL though.

FT17_99.jpg

FT17_100.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for the kind words guys. Apparently there should be no black lines between green and brown, at least not according to Meng's instructions and some pictures I have seen. I'm quite sure there are variations. I read somewhere that later in the war they didn't paint the black lines at all.

I worked from the illustration in Meng's instructions, which I'm not happy with when it comes to the exterior painting. All you get is a colour drawing of the left side. I would have liked all five views, at least both sides and the top, as it's most likely not symmetrically painted. The rest is now just me guessing how it looked.

Not sure what to do next. Either try making some scratching and chipping, or perhaps I should use tiny drops of oil paint to vary the tone in the painting first, if necessary? Then a gloss coat and decals before continuing with weathering.

Thanks guys, I've made a start on the next phase. I did some chipping and scratching, mainly on the front and rear lower sections. I think there will be more, but I need to learn what I'm doing first.

FT17_101.jpg

I applied the two decals, and then I went over all rivets and other surface details with a neutral wash. I think I just wanted to see what happened and get a little more feel for it. Those decals must be toned down as more weathering is added and everything is hopefully tied together. I think this will be a lot of work adding and removing stuff in layers to make it look like something.

FT17_102.jpg

FT17_103.jpg

• Like 5

Looking very nice indeed. I didn't do much chipping on mine but a LOT of different washes.

That camo looks excellent, I wasn't looking forward to doing that myself and was really pleased when I found some pictures of other camo versions used by the French later in the war. The thing that puzzled me most about the kit is it gives several schemes, none of which are actually French! You've made an excellent job on this one, those black demarcation lines look great.

• Like 1