Renault FT-17 French tank, Meng 1/35

I have been working away on this one the last two-three days but never come round to an update, so here is a larger one. It was time to assemble a bit more, and enter into the dark art of weathering... This is not my comfort zone at all when it comes to this type of subject, but I have decided to make a tank in service, so there's not much choice. I have so far mainly messed around with these things.

FT17_24.jpg

I sprayed everything I had painted so far with a thin gloss varnish coat. Then I did some washing and dirtying, to get a start. I don't know how this will end, but not here.

FT17_25.jpg

Here is the engine and gearbox ready to be installed in the chassis. I thought.

FT17_26.jpg

FT17_27.jpg

At that point I couldn't find a reason not to add the ignition wiring. It would of course have been better to prepare for that before any paint, but now it is like it is. I used 0,2 mm copper wire.

FT17_28.jpg

While doing that I assembled a bit more on the interior sides, and did a little more weathering. I also picked two instrument decals from my 1/43 scrap decal boxes that fitted the two instruments on the left side.

FT17_29.jpg

The ignition wires were routed and glued to the spark plugs. I think they were routed through some tubing on many of the real tanks, but I just made it like this.

FT17_30.jpg

With a little paint it doesn't look to bad, even if I think I have done better on some 1/43 scale racing cars.

FT17_31.jpg

FT17_32.jpg

Then it was finally time to install the complete transmission to the chassis, and I encountered the first more serious problems. The brake/clutch drums are a very weak fit to the gearbox and while trial fitting soon one broke off. They were also too wide overall, so when two side transmission housings were added they angled outwards, preventing the side walls to be fitted correctly.

I have learned early on that the kit is very precise and does not allow for any paint in the glue joints, but I really thought I had build it all up very carefully. Perhaps not enough though. I decided to change my approach and peeled of the other drum as well and cleaned all joints.

FT17_33.jpg

Then the gearbox could easily be fitted and centred. I then glued the drums to each side housing and cut off material at the gearbox joints until the side housings fitted perpendicular to the chassis. I had to remove a surprising amount.

FT17_34.jpg

Then all the transmission parts were easily glued in place and fitted well, which I forgot to take a picture of at that time. I don't really think it is a problem by Meng, it's more likely that I somehow missed to build something tight enough in the transmission area. Watch out here if you are building this one.

After some more weathering - I seem to be messing with it all the time while fitting something - I sprayed everything with a flat varnish coat. This is what I had after that.

FT17_35.jpg

A little detail painting with gloss clear was done to the ammunition, which is supposed to be a fresh load, and the copper and brass canisters as well as the instrument faces.

FT17_36.jpg

FT17_37.jpg

FT17_38.jpg

Some more dirty grease/oil added to the transmission area. This is now ready for the engine.

FT17_39.jpg

FT17_40.jpg

And a bit more work done to the crew section.

FT17_41.jpg

FT17_42.jpg

The radiator was fitted to the engine without any problem and a little more weathering done.

FT17_43.jpg

FT17_44.jpg

FT17_45.jpg

And with a perfect fit the whole assembly joined the transmission in the chassis.

FT17_46.jpg

FT17_47.jpg

FT17_48.jpg

And here the fire wall has been fitted, and more weathering added. The wall is tight up against the gearbox and has a very slight forward rake, which it should not have. But when the side walls are added it easily fits into the slots and looks perfect, so I guess it will be OK.

FT17_49.jpg

FT17_50.jpg

I feel I have no clue about this weathering art and that I'm just playing around trying to think of how dirt and mess will collect on 1/1 scale machinery I have been close to or worked on, but I'm getting blind to the result now, if it looks real or just a mess. I think I had expected worse result so far though.

I have also hatched some idea of how I will display the model on a base/scene I feel comfortable with and find interesting that will let me have the hatches open, I think. Need to search for some suitable accessories and a figure or two I can buy somewhere.

• Like 3

Jörgen your work is always a joy to look at, I think you are one of the most gifted modellers I have ever encountered (as I may have said before...). I am extremely impressed at what you are creating here.

Nigel

• Like 1

Thanks a lot gentlemen, you are most kind. This morning I still felt satisfied with the result when I looked at it, I wasn't sure that would be the case, so it feels quite good.

And just because of that perhaps, the step in the build comes when most of all that work and detail disappears... The first sidewall goes on. The control rod at the drivers left foot still has to find its correct position.

FT17_51.jpg

And with the other side installed it's quickly becoming clear how little will remain.

FT17_52.jpg

FT17_53.jpg

FT17_54.jpg

The front and rear ends are completed and I did some additional weathering to tie the parts together.

FT17_55.jpg

FT17_56.jpg

And it's getting worse. Here the fuel tank goes in.

FT17_57.jpg

As if that wasn't bad enough, here is what is left when the top deck is installed. It's not glued yet, hence the gaps.

FT17_58.jpg

FT17_59.jpg

Well, that must be the worst waste(?) of modelling work I have ever done, even worse than my EH-10 locomotive. But, it has been an interesting session to see if I could make it. I'm not quite ready to glue that top deck yet. I wonder if I could make a "cut away" model of it. Need to consider what has just happened I think...

• Like 4

Hi, yes some fantastic work there, and a shame it will vanish. I don't suppose it even helps that we know it is there. Cracking job though, hats off to you.

All the best, Ray

• Like 1

Well, that must be the worst waste(?) of modelling work I have ever done, even worse than my EH-10 locomotive. But, it has been an interesting session to see if I could make it. I'm not quite ready to glue that top deck yet. I wonder if I could make a "cut away" model of it. Need to consider what has just happened I think...

Jorgen, you have to remember that your work will be preserved forever here. (Providing you keep up with your payments to the photo hosting site). And what impressive work it is, lovely stuff. Most of the internal work I did on my Flying Banana is now invisible even with the lights but it can still all be seen on my BM build thread.

Regards,

Nigel

• Like 1

Wow that version of the kit has a huge amount of internal detail missing in my cheaper version. You''ve done an excellent job gettign it all together and it is a real shame it will be invisible... unless you make it a diorama with the back hatches opened up for maintenance? :) Having assembled the rear panels of mine there are obvious hinges that you could use to display the engine open to the world...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the kind support, glad you all appreciate my attempts at this.

After some time of psychological trauma over forever hiding most of the work I did I finally went ahead the other day.

That's it.

Done.

FT17_60.jpg

I then prepared the small exterior parts left for the main hull.

FT17_61.jpg

I generally don't like to paint parts still on the runners, but I saw no sensible option when it came to all the ammunition for the turret rack.

FT17_62.jpg

I cut them as carefully as I could, and by placing them with the cut towards the turret wall I hope to keep touch up to a minimum.

FT17_63.jpg

It ended up like this. It now needs a dark wash.

FT17_64.jpg

The rear skid was built up, again everything fitted perfectly.

FT17_65.jpg

Then the gun was painted and installed in the turret with the gunner's support strap and the ammunition rack.

FT17_66.jpg

FT17_67.jpg

A quick test fit of the turret on the hull.

FT17_68.jpg

FT17_69.jpg

This morning I started on the suspension system. There's a lot of similar parts so I try my best to sort everything well so I will end up with the correct assemblies for each side.

FT17_70.jpg

Subassemblies done.

FT17_71.jpg

I continue to sort parts on top of the instructions. I still had to concentrate to get everything right.

FT17_72.jpg

In the end it paid off and I had a right and left side that seems correctly assembled. The fit is again excellent, but it's easy to mix up the way everything is supposed to sit, so take care if you build this one.

FT17_73.jpg

FT17_74.jpg

I made another dry fit of the main sections to see how it turns out.

FT17_75.jpg

FT17_76.jpg

Of course I have forgotten to order/buy the paints I need for the exterior, so I will be stuck for some time now. Or, I do have all the track links to prepare of course, probably another tedious session...

• Like 4

Well done on the suspension - I made a bit of a hash of it, not helped by loosing the springs so I had to make up my own which look a bit meh compared to yours :) You also managed to avoid my mistake of putting both "outer" roadwheel panels on one side!

The suspension is incredibly complex am most frustatingly most of it is invisible once the tracks are on!

The inside of this version looks superb - I just wish there were sutable figures available to make it worth opening it all up!

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

I'm terrible at spotting things long after they've started - this is excellent!

It does look very fiddly compared to the rather simple Mark IV I'm working on though. Definitely for the advanced modeller!

Will

• Like 2

Morning Jorgen, i just noticed this thread and i dont know what the hell i just saw :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: I had to punch myself, to make sure i m not dreaming yet.. Thats totaly amazing and its looking so smooth and clean (the build, the weathering is nicely dirty :) ). Its inspiring and demotivating at same time... :D Like "holy hell thats looking soo beautiful.. but i m never gona be able to do stuff like this so why even try.." :D But no no, mostly its inspiring me, cannt wait to see more progress!

• Like 1

Thanks a lot everybody. Honestly though, much credit for a clean and precise build must go to Meng for their excellent tooled kit. As long as you align parts well, clean off any paint from join areas and glue with some precision it more or less just comes together like this. It's an enjoyable kit to build.

Well done on the suspension - I made a bit of a hash of it, not helped by loosing the springs so I had to make up my own which look a bit meh compared to yours :) You also managed to avoid my mistake of putting both "outer" roadwheel panels on one side!

The suspension is incredibly complex am most frustatingly most of it is invisible once the tracks are on!

The inside of this version looks superb - I just wish there were sutable figures available to make it worth opening it all up!

Keep up the good work!

It was very much thanks to the heads up you put in your thread that I decided to be extremely careful in sorting all the parts during the suspension build. I'm not so sure I wouldn't have made some mistake in the process otherwise.