Junkers G-24 Revell fuselage correction

If I remember well, there are also problems in the wing span and in the format of the upper fuselage at the rear. Not mencioning the thickness of the trailing edge...

I'll try to locate the info and will get back to you.

Carlos

• 6 years later...

I will use my old topic to continue discussion. In my starting message is that way wrong that fuselage is correct length, but shape of roof line is too high. Whole tailplane structure is too high.

So what you fellow modellers think is easiest way to correct this problem.

Maybe gutting top line of fuselage half's in right angle and small cut in roof to help in bend it to right angle.

Any better ideas? See photo below that is from Arctic Decals sheet.

cSS4xPH.jpg

The best option possibly depends on what looks best with the corrugations - if the black line shown on the instructions going from the windows' upper edge to the tailplane L/E is a natural seam, then the optically best solution may be a cut to the top piece at the vertical "break" behind the rearmost window, and progressively reducing the dorsal part in depth. Which may be a real pain, as getting it symmetrical would be much easier on the side parts I guess. 

I am  sceptic - it is not said that those drawings are better from what was a base for preparing Plasticart model. When you look at this photo of G23 (fuselage the same)3-T72OKaow9t7uv7WW1gWgtgn3jKc52Nmk57US8O 

the fin/rudder seems to be as high as in box. 

Similar here

562-2.jpg

to compare with decal drawings

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxm4Sht1e8gyF9VhFg4wp

For me the drawing shows tail too low...

Here (with newer fin) the upper fuselage goes more like in Plasticart/Revell kit than like on those drawings

Junker_G_24,_ABA.jpg

So, maybe the efforts to do corrections are not necessarily? "The better" could be a true enemy of "good" ...

J-W

• Like 2

I've read that initially they had problems with vibrations so the engines were moved outward by adding a piece inboard of the engines. As they were bolted to the wings it was easy to do.

You could also look at thisreview: http://www.internetmodeler.com/2007/september/first-looks/Revell_G24.php

http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/cw1/g24/g24-2.gif

I've seen a drawing that explained that there were an interference of prop streams that was the cause of the problems but I can't find that one now. On the link to the drawing above you can see that the circles of the props run into each other but on the drawing I can't find anymore show a wider part between the fuselage and engine so those circles don't touch each other-

• Like 1

Vessa, I was wrestling many years ago with this kit so I know it a bit. 

What I wanted to say is that for such rare machines there are no single drawings which are for sure flawless. In my case just after looking on many photos  I skipped any possible problems with dimensions focusing only on conversion.  BTW - I do not remember that I had any  problem with discrepancy with drawing I was using. 

Here is a nice set of photos and drawings (one of them was given in previous mail by @Orso http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/cw1/g24/

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

So I got some more information from @Mika Jernfors  about shape of fuselage. Below is picture where this is visible.

a87EZKe.jpg

And there are new type of horizontal stabilizer in  this photo and it looks to be higher.

Aero_OY_Junkers_G24_Finnair_via_Edvardss

And here is photo where is possible see steeper angle of roof:

https://www.alamy.com/three-stewards-of-the-lufthansa-help-a-young-family-get-on-a-junkers-g24-image247161258.html

I hope these will help in future modellers 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

g24_103.JPG

This discussion made me reach for my shelf of shame and bring down my started G24. I had read about the roof but wasn't prepared to try and fix it as I couldn't think of a way to do it. This is how it came out building it straight out of the box.

g24_203.JPG

I had also started on a second where I modified the wing to move the engines outward. Now when I got involved in the discussion I realized that I got it wrong and as I now have a third kit that I had no plan to build I decided to use the wings from it on this plane.

As I then would have spare parts for the fuselage I decided to have a go on the roof as well.

I cut the rear part loose and tried to sand it down at the rear to make it slope backward but it was hard to do so some of the front got sanded down too. But with some filler it will work (I hope). I also moved the stabiliser down so it isn't placed above the roof. 

Edited by Orso
  • Like 1