The IdolM@ster F-22 Raptor

Has someone been watering the flowers?

Apparently not as there are all these cracks appearing from dehydration!!

Doesn't look much like a Typhoon to me George.

This is the proposed scheme for the third Typhoon build, you know, where everything is exposed and out in the open!

Now, I really do have a Typhoon in this type of scheme, but it is a 1/72 Eurofighter type Typhoon. Guess I could always upscale the decals and improvise.

nice work George, love the decal work. would have gave up myself ages ago with all that pink.

Any chance of a shot of the f-117a box? building an ordinary one myself, and would love to see theJapanesetake on it.

Matt.

Matt,

Here are the decal instructions for the kit and the actual decals themselves. At least the colors on this one is a tad bit more masculine!

decalscheme1.jpg

decalscheme2.jpg

decalscheme3.jpg

decals.jpg

The theme for this plane is "Everything Coming Up Roses"!

• Like 1

Did you use super glue or liquid cement?

I have found that when using liquid cement, if I disturb it after the initial few minutes of setting, then the joint is easily broken later. Could it be that you opened/closed that section a few times while putting the beast together?

Did you use super glue or liquid cement?

I have found that when using liquid cement, if I disturb it after the initial few minutes of setting, then the joint is easily broken later. Could it be that you opened/closed that section a few times while putting the beast together?

I generally use Model Master Liquid Cement. I am not sure what happened, but they have been superglued shut now; evil things.

• Like 1

Final update. I just have a few steps to go before this kit is finished. The rear end of the plane was fixed with some heavy handed application of superglue and repainted. Now I need to finish the exhaust nozzles and attach them. The exhaust nozzles had already been given a base coat with a simple wash to more realistically portray the metal finish. What was left was to do the heat effects of the exhaust. The first step was an application of clear blue.

exhaustweather2.jpg

One of the untreated nozzles is left in the picture for comparison. Once the blue is applied, it is then removed with to just leave a bluing effect.

exhaustweather3.jpg

The next step was to do the same thing with a layer of clear red and then blend the two for this result

exhaustweather4.jpg

Next up the clear bits, consisting of the sight, the identification lights and the canopy.

gunsight.jpg

navigationlights.jpg

These are installed. The only thing left is to install the canopy and go over some decal seams with white paint.

seams.jpg

And here is the finished product

Finish1.jpg

finish2.jpg

finish3.jpg

finish4.jpg

finish5.jpg

finish6.jpg

finish7.jpg

finish8.jpg

A proper RFI will be done when the sun comes up and I have time to photograph the model outside. Thanks for watching and, as always, all comments welcome.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Good work with that kit! I'm building the whole fleet of these in 1/72. The decals are going so well with my first one that I decided to complete the collection. I added the Su-33 second variant, The A-10A, F-16, SAAB Draken and a second variant of the Mirage 2000 today. Those additions sparked after reading your reply in my post. My wallet thanks you for that. lol

BTW, Hobby Link has the 1/48 F-16 and F-2 on sale for $15 and the 1/72 Su-33 for $18 right now. I paid $55 for the regular edition of the Su-33 so that is a great deal for that nice kit.

• Like 1

Good work with that kit! I'm building the whole fleet of these in 1/72. The decals are going so well with my first one that I decided to complete the collection. I added the Su-33 second variant, The A-10A, F-16, SAAB Draken and a second variant of the Mirage 2000 today. Those additions sparked after reading your reply in my post. My wallet thanks you for that. lol

BTW, Hobby Link has the 1/48 F-16 and F-2 on sale for $15 and the 1/72 Su-33 for $18 right now. I paid $55 for the regular edition of the Su-33 so that is a great deal for that nice kit.

I have several more in my stash, mainly the 1/48 versions. I also got them on sale at Hobby Link. My ultimate kit will be upsizing the decals for the A-10 to 1/32 and putting them on the Trumpeter version of the A-10.

I wasn't impressed with the A-10 Idolmaster design. I originally wasn't going to buy it. That will be pretty awesome to upscale the decals though; I'm looking forward to seeing it!

I agree, out of all of the schemes it is the most bland. However, the idea of a 1/32, detailed, open panel, IdolMaster A-10 appeals to me. And, that puppy will be entered into a contest just to mess with judges.

I'm building the orange Mirage 2000 and when it came time to put the white stripes on the jet some of them didn't want to fully conform. The only reason I used the decals instead of trying to paint those white stripes is because the white stripe decals had words and designs as part of the complete decals. The white stripe decals aren't 100% opaque and would probably look better if they were painted instead. Well, I just noticed on the decal sheet that they include the same words and designs as separate decals you can place over the white stripes had you chosen to paint the white lines instead of using the decals...