1/72 Airfix F-51D

Adam Maas

Since my Hasegawa P-51D kit is coming along swimmingly, I thought I'd duck into the stash and pull out one of the several Airfix Mustangs I have.

This is the F-51D boxing with the extra sprue with rockets, bombs and the uncuffed HS prop.

I'll be using a set of LEM Western Canada Mustangs decals for BU*N of 442 Squadron RCAF Reserve. This won't require the resin included in the set for the unusual aerials used by many RCAF Mustangs.

14637423445_9f2a754541_z.jpgAirfix F-51D 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

This is actually my third RCAF Mustang, I've done PR590 with the Tamiya F-51D and the same LEM set and FB*N with a chromed Testors Hawk P-51D plus SMP's old Post-War Mustangs sheet and a True Details cockpit. We might see a return of that SMP sheet later as there's a Monogram P-51D in my stash somewhere.

Edited by Adam Maas

This one's building almost as fast as the Hasegawa.

Main assembly is complete, although I ran into the biggest weakness of the Airfix kit, getting the joystick off the sprue in one piece. It broke again, although thankfully this time I was able to repair it.

Working on cleaning up seams now, should be shooting paint this afternoon.

Given the state of my stash, this GB is a godsend for clearing.

Right now I've got the following in my stash:

3x Airfix new P-51D 1/72

1 Italieri P-51D 1/72

1 Academy P-51 1/72

1 Frog P-51A 1/72

1 SH P-51A 1/72

1 Monogram P-51D 1/48

And I've got the SH Mustang 1 and an RS P-51H cracked but not over 25%

I'd like to clear a few of these out.

• 2 months later...

Well, a month and a half of no building does slow the stash clearing.

I'll be posting pics shortly, but the aluminum is down, next up is the anti-glare panel and the red wing/tail tips. Should be done on time if I get a little time this week.

Got the basic scheme down last weekend.

15438182672_f4b3403577_z.jpgAirfix F-51D 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

Then during the week I shot the anti-glare panel, the gloss coat and finished the decals.

15251757119_7a37214a62_z.jpgAirfix F-51D 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

Today I'm finishing up the fiddly bits and raiding another kit for a spinner, as I seem to have misplaced the front half on this one. Guess I'll be acquiring the Mk.IVa conversion for one of the kits in the stash.

I expect to be done later today.

And done, with a save from Tamiya, as the aerial broke (not unexpected) but I had a spare Tamiya aerial from an F-51D kit I'd built up with the dome-style RCAF aerial (Resin from Leading Edge, and included in their RCAF West/East sheets).

15452322475_4484461efb_z.jpgAirfix F-51D 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

15451973592_3c0a237ae8_z.jpgAirfix F-51D 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

15449162561_4cc65bbb98_z.jpgAirfix F-51D 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

• Like 5

Very nice, Adam! Always good to see the Mustang in non-USAAF schemes (nothing wrong with those, but I've seen more than a few of those so it's nice to see something a bit different).

Regards,

Jason

Very nice, Adam! Always good to see the Mustang in non-USAAF schemes (nothing wrong with those, but I've seen more than a few of those so it's nice to see something a bit different).

Regards,

Jason

Thanks,

Most of the Mustang's I've built actually are in non-US colours. There's some interesting schemes out there, and I've always considered the Mustang an RAF/RCAF aircraft that the USAAF used, rather than vice versa. I do still do the odd USAAF scheme, and one day I'll do an actual USAF MUstang (actually, I've got a USAF F-51H on the bench)

That's interesting; I feel somewhat the same way about the P-39 Airacobra. To me it's a Soviet aeroplane that the USAAF just happened to use. That Airfix Mustang kit looks quite nice. If I buy one (I probably will), I might do it in a camouflage scheme, perhaps an Israeli one, or a camouflaged Mustang IV.

Regards,

Jason