Hanriot HD.1 in Italian Service - Eduard 1:48

4f895668-3157-4afe-ad22-efaf4798e52d_zps

Hello everyone.

This is my entry in the Great War Group build. It's a tiny wee thing even in 1:48 and I'm hoping that it wont take me too long to finish. I've been in the model maker's doldrums for a long time now and haven't actually finished a project for three years. This little scout will, I'm hoping, restore my mojo.

I'm planning to brush paint, because I have no extractor fan at the moment and also because it will be so much faster and easier.

IMG_0322_zps1a5c0868.jpg

You will notice that the engine has has a coat of semi-gloss black already and the intake manifolds have also been painted. I think that is acceptable under the 25% rule.

IMG_0324_zpse6926bfa.jpg

I was delighted by the four paint schemes in the box and decided to go with the one on the left above. I like the camouflage, with mottle on the fuselage sides; clearly these guys didn't want to be seen. But look underneath and it screams "Here I am!" in Italian. That makes me smile every time I look at it.

• Like 2

Nothing today worth a photo. I've been painting little bits and pieces, fettling the wings and so forth - just pottering really. However, the house smells of white spirit and I have made a little progress, so I'm content.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha what are the odds that we both return to group-builds at the same time heh

Ah, and the Lord per ardua ad ostentationem. This is indeed an honour. Finally, the two greatest gentleman fliers in the world meet. Two men of honour, who have jousted together in the cloud-strewn glory of the skies, face to face at last. How often I have rehearsed this moment of destiny in my dreams. The panoply to encapsulate the unspoken nobility of a comradeship....

Looking forward to seeing this Don :) im over in the D-Day build with another floaty thing ;)

Snail-like progress.

As this is a 'return to mojo' operation, I'm not taking it too seriously. Most of the photoetch and the smaller bits of plastic are going straight to spare box. Particularly when it comes to the sixteen cockpit pieces, almost all of which will be invisible behind the instrument panel. I'm also brush painting as my spray bay is inoperative. That said, I have stuck some small pieces together!

IMG_0341_zps8a7fcbfe.jpg

The seat, on its tiny frame is supposed to be glued to the fuselage side but the locating pins are tiny and imprecise. What to do?

IMG_0342_zps546604ba.jpg

My ever ready pot of chopped up sprue, normally used for paint stirring (no splinters), to the rescue.

IMG_0343_zps59b6f283.jpg

And with a little sawing...

IMG_0344_zps3019f29d.jpg

Solidly mounted at (approximately) the right angle. Not a right angle but the right angle.

Well, at least I did something! :)

• 2 weeks later...