Martinsyde S.1, Scratch-build in 1/72 --- Finished

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent work, OM! I don't know how I missed this one. You make scratch-building almost look easy. Almost. It makes me want to get back to my long-stalled scratch-built Dayton-Wright RB racer. Almost.

Regards,

Jason

Thank you very much, Gentlemen.

It has been a while since I could post an up-date, but there has been considerable progress, and most of it I did manage to get pictures taken of, if not processed through until recently. So this is likely to be a fairly long post....

The first item was getting the cowling completed. This involved cutting in some surface detail down low on the forward fuselage sides, and piecing together the lower portions of the cowling after the motor had been affixed.

IMG_5876_zpsae46ae5a.jpg

IMG_5878_zps971ee35a.jpg

IMG_5881_zps67bbe33e.jpg

It was necessary to replace the front strip; it took several attempts before I managed one with satisfactory perforations. The underpart of the cowling is built up from a total of seven small pieces (five 'parts'; and two 'patches' where angles were sanded through). This took quite a while, though a lot of the time was spent figuring out how to do it and how to make it work. If I were to do it again, it would be a fairly direct process and not take more than an hour or two. I am not sure what is going on on the lower fuselage sides, but I suspect there is a fuel and oil tank directly behind the engine. The deliberately thick sides and bottom gave ample play for the cutting.

Next step was finishing the horizontal tail-plane and attaching this and the lower wings to the fuselage.

IMG_5883_zps9c295658.jpg

IMG_5885_zpsad9b01fa.jpg

IMG_5886_zps0482c9ed.jpg

IMG_5888_zpsb0f7731a.jpg

This went fairly smoothly, and I feel good about the prospect of locator holes lining up, and that sort of thing. There has been some more refining of the sculpting on the nose.

After putting in cabane locator hole in the fuselage, painting has commenced....

IMG_5903_zps67c558b9.jpg

IMG_5905_zps3a7de5d2.jpg

IMG_5907_zps5162d1b0.jpg

The linen color is PollyScale 'Old Concrete' cut with some 'IJA Grey'. I do not intend to weather this machine as heavily as I did the Short 827. The only major piece left to make is the vertical tail surface (this has to fit over the tailplane, and goes up to the end of the triangular decking). Wheels and propeller wil come from the spares box; I am very glad to note in the in-service up the Tigris picture, wheel covers are in place.

Cabane struts will be put on first, and upper wing then attached, after which interplanes will be put in. This is because there are fish-plates for the cabane attachments to the fuselage, which I do not think could be gotten at readily if the uper wing was already on.

It will be a close-run thing, a sit usually is with me and dead-lines, but I expect I will have this in hand by the closing bell....

• Like 2

Thank you very much, my friends.

Bit more done on this over the weekend, Gentlemen. Definitely on the down-slope now....

IMG_5930_zps0cd438cc.jpg

IMG_5933_zps88f93ede.jpg

IMG_5935_zps07921ef4.jpg

Undercarriage and cabanes are on, as are the various 'fish-plates' at critical joints, and a coaming for the cockpit, and the vertical tail surface has been made. The fish-plates are a bit over-scale in thickness, but such is life in 1/72. Finish over-all has been tightened up a bit. One nice thing about the design is that there is no splay to the undercarriage or the cabanes, which makes them easier to set up. I will rig the cabanes before attaching the upper wing. Last picture shows the upper wing resting on the cabanes in a test-fit. This picture shows the miniature Union Jacks wife set up for me; two will go on the rudder, one each side (also some U.S.A.A.C. markings, shield for the Technical School, for another build I am working on).

• Like 1

Rounding the turn into the home stretch here, friends; upper wing attached and structural rigging put in....

IMG_5941_zpsba4f4f90.jpg

IMG_5943_zpsb381f4df.jpg

IMG_5946_zps5dbd524d.jpg

Interplane struts were made individually once upper wing was on the cabanes. Tricky business, but no serious difficulties.

Next session ought to see it complete....

• Like 2

Fabulous work Old Man! I have learnt so much reading through this, inspirational!

All the best, Ray

Thank you, Sir. A taste for the obscure will drive a man to scratch-build....

Astounding modelling and what a bizarre looking subject.....Smashing stuff! :thumbsup:

Thank you, Sergeant. But still....

Call that bizarre? THIS is bizarre....

IMG_3399_zpsf5721567.jpg

IMG_3391_zps1e9e5e83.jpg

• Like 1

Great work on the S.1, OM, but what on Earth is that Bristol(?) thingy? It looks like something made up for "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines"!

Regards,

Jason

That, Sir, is a Breguet U1 'affine', a 1914 design, the last of the 'single spar' Breguet tractors. It is needless to say a scratch-build....