1/350 Italeri (Dragon) USS Gettysburg

G'day people,

Well, I am still in a nautical mood so this will be the next one I will be working on. The kit has been re-boxed by Italeri but it is the Dragon/DML kit which has been superceded by the Trumpeter offering, but the kit can still be built into a respectable replica from the box, and with a little extra help can still be made into something nice.

Dragon released several boxings of the Ticonderoga class ships, representing various versions of both early and later variants. The USS Gettysburg represents a later version with the Vertical Launcher System (VLS) replacing the missile launchers fore and aft of the earlier ships. If you want to make the moist recent versions of the class however, you will need to do some research as there have been several additions and changes to the ship's weapons and sensor suite.

The kit however is known to suffer from fit issues and the fit can vary between to okay and it fits where it touches.

I have made a start by assembling the hull halves.

003_zps7bfdb6cf.jpg

The fit was not too bad along the centre but there were several sink marks along the top of the bow and above the sonar dome. I spent some time smoothing this area in with putty.

The lower rear hull area needed a little more attention

004_zpsf757aa3e.jpg

I do not like the prop shaft detail, it is a little soft and my parts were a little warped. I will probably replace these with some plastic or ally tube.

Coming to the stern, I managed to sand off the detail here trying to eliminate the join seam.

005_zps4dffe1fc.jpg

The white plastic lump in the corner is the start of the SLQ-25 "Nixie" torpedo decoy system,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

G'day people,

A little more progress today.

Continuing on with the hull, I have chopped out the warped pop shafts and replaced them with some plastic rod

45_zps91539fd9.jpg

Result!

The stern also received some attention with the addition of some styrene bits to represent the SPQ-19 towed array to replace the detail I sanded off during assembly

44_zps8b64c6d7.jpg

I will drill a hole once the glue has had a chance to dry properly.

Putting the hull, to one side, I now spent some time assembling the main superstructure section.

My parts were pretty warped whilst on the sprue, especially around the mid section, but I just took my time and glued the two halves about a centimeter at a time. I also added a honking great lump of u-section styrene at the front end to ensure the buts stayed square!

013_zps1fb3d7ab.jpg

012_zpse3fc2adf.jpg

I have also added various decks and fittings. I am really only using the instructions as a location guide as I am jumping around the assembly sequence. This is partly because I want to keep progressing the build while some bits are drying but I am also thinking about the painting sequence. Ships are challenging to paint because of all the little nooks and crannies which will be hard to get to later once railings and other assemblies have been attached.

011_zps3e86955e.jpg

010_zps9b09b7ee.jpg

Some of the decks don't seem to fit well, as they have quite noticeable steps between the two adjoining areas. The decks themselves also have varying thicknesses with looks a little odd to say the least.

The are two exhaust structures, here is the aft unit

017_zps9361646f.jpg

It lives here

014_zps53c0c182.jpg

The hole is there to allow me to push down on the helicopter hangar to ensure a good fit. I opted not to fit the hangar as per the instructions as this means ai can keep working on the rest of the ship and detail the hangar separately, inserting it afterwards.

The other exhaust lives on the uppermost deck of the mid section

016_zps796df1ed.jpg

015_zps4efc5904.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 5

G'day Jockster,

I will no doubt bog down when I get to the finer details a little later on.

Meanwhile, progress continues!

I have assembled the bridge superstructure and installed the main decking

009_zps84525804.jpg

008_zps2531bfc8.jpg

007_zps38b03537.jpg

The fit was surprisingly good. I say surprisingly because a lot of other builds seem to have fit issues at this point. I did need a little filler to fair in the bridge superstructure into the hull sides, but it did not seem excessive.

I also added this spacer to the deck. I needed it as it will push out the side of the aft superstructure section which tends to pull in without some form of support.

006_zps8f00ccde.jpg

I now turned my attention to the two mast structures. The aft mast in particular had heavy flash and took along time to clean up. I ended up replacing the upper support arms with some plastic rod, mainly because I hate cleaning up mould lines on round sections, but it is also slightly finer than the kit parts.

018_zps6d2ad7ad.jpg

019_zps94b9e258.jpg

I decided to scratch the support frame for the foremast as I really did not wish to repeat the laborious task of cleaning up all the mould seams again. Apart from seeming to be an easier method, it also afforded an excellent opportunity to clean up the join seam on the triangular structure at the base.

020_zpscc2fac97.jpg

021_zps64e9d951.jpg

022_zpsd2adbca3.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 4

Looks good so far.

Oh for fit that good!

Thanks fellas,

A little bit more progress today.

The two masts have received a coat of paint,

41_zps5a8fb068.jpg

40_zps479002f8.jpg

37_zpse7452590.jpg

36_zpsd7607cd2.jpg

35_zpsc7ef7a91.jpg

The masts have been put aside for now, so I started doing the fun bits - the stuff that goes whoosh bang!

First up, the two Vertical Launcher Systems (VLS)

38_zps6154ca94.jpg

I didn't realise until afterwards that the two systems are slightly different, the forward unit is inclined up at the rear. I assume this was done so that it sits level on the up swept foredeck?

Close In Weapon Systems (CIWIS)

50_zps241f471b.jpg

52_zps7c1939f0.jpg

I added two tiny ammo feed chutes (one to the front and back of each unit) using some scrap plastic and lead foil.

The Harpoon ant-ship launchers

53_zps1c63da08.jpg

I have also worked on the 5"/54 Cal gun turrets. I decided I wanted to have an access door open on each one so I cut out the door and scratched up an interior.

028_zpsb95e8c8b.jpg

54_zps281fa406.jpg

55_zpse62d4329.jpg

I did use a couple of reference pics as a guide, but in this scale adding details is closer to microsurgery than modelling so the gun interiors are more 'representative' than factual! I still need to add the access doors. I made these up from some scrap brass, but i need to add a little detail to the inner doors before they can be painted.

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 6

I am intrigued by the ant-ship launchers - must be a small scale thing :D

Very nice work all round. I like the Ticonderoga class - they look modern and purposeful but were early enough to not be slab-sided full stealth designs.

Will

Nice progress Pappy,

When painting the parts you have already completed did you spray the grey?

The colour you used for the 'windows' on those parts looks effective, what colour was it?

:thumbsup:

G'day Ray!

I am not sure i understand your question ref spraying the grey? I have sprayed all the grey bits so far. The windows were painted in light green (Vallejo yellow+blue to my taste) then I applied a dark green pin wash.

I am intrigued by the ant-ship launchers - must be a small scale thing :D

Very nice work all round. I like the Ticonderoga class - they look modern and purposeful but were early enough to not be slab-sided full stealth designs.

Will

G'day Will,

Thanks. The Harpoon launchers are okay, but the moulds have slipped a little and some of the smaller parts need a lot of sanding to get them looking good. Veteran Models make lots of nice goodies, but I want to see how the kit parts come out before heading down the AM rabbit hole.

I like the Tico's as well, but the Spruance look cleaner,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

Thanks Pappy, you did answer my Q, some brush paint the little bits and pieces, I think spraying looks better.

I think the Aus Navy should have got Ticonderogas instead of those Spanish jobbies, would look good with an Aus flag flying from the pointy bits (non nautical term).

Looking good, nice paintwork so far.

Just a thought with the 20mm Phalanx mounts, the barrel cluster looks so chubby, is it worth snipping it off and replacing with some thinner wire or plastic rod barrels?

Looking good, nice paintwork so far.

Just a thought with the 20mm Phalanx mounts, the barrel cluster looks so chubby, is it worth snipping it off and replacing with some thinner wire or plastic rod barrels?

G'day Rob

I tend to agree, I will see what i can manage. If I had seen the replacement 20mm Phalanx resin items that Veteran Models produce before I started I would have used them instead but I will stick with the kit items on this build.

G'day folks,

I have managed to finish the 5" guns with the addition of the access doors.

75_zps96f20597.jpg

74_zpsfba85dc9.jpg

73_zps50a8715f.jpg

I realised that I had painted the barrels the wrong colour and fixed that up as well.

The aft exhaust stack is almost done, it just needs the antenna attached. I will add these small details at the end to avoid breakages.

71_zps902d1972.jpg

The hangar bay door s are now done

67_zps9c3614bf.jpg

Plenty of fun masking off the vertical stripes!

I also added a little more interest to the SPG-62 missile director antennas. The feed horn and receiver were just a thick finger of plastic. Working from pics, I made a new receiver arm using some laminated strips of plastic. The receiver was built up using PVA wood glue and some copper wire added for interest.

46_zps27cc4c09.jpg

47_zpsc5e9a464.jpg

And now with paint,

65_zpsa3ac1cc3.jpg

66_zps22d3d557.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 4

Outstanding work on the details!

Thanks,

A little more progress today.

I have sprayed some matt white onto the helo deck and the fore/ aft vertical replenishment areas (VRA's). The kit does not provide decals for these markings but instead provides a raised outline on the deck areas.

43_zps84311300.jpg

42_zpsd2f5bad8.jpg

I thought about sanding these off and just masking the details, and whilst this would be simple enough for the VRA's, I don't fancy my luck with the helo deck markings, so for consistency I will retain the raised details.

Once I had masked off the deck markings, the deck colour was applied. I have heard that Gunship Grey (FS36118) is a good match but I prefer to use Tamiya German Grey (XF-63) as it closer approximates what i see in my references.

33_zpsf4874ee4.jpg

34_zps64584a0f.jpg

30_zps2e3d0de7.jpg

I then went over the deck colour with a lighter version to add a subtle mottle to the surfaces as the large areas of grey can end up looking too stark and boring,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

Great job so far. Looking forward to the end result.

Thanks very much.

I have moved on a little. The tedious task of masking the horizontal sections of the main superstructure was carried out over an evening and the hull grey was applied the following day.

56_zpsea5e0bfc.jpg

The masking was removed once the paint had thoroughly dried, and some of the small details have been picked out with a fine brush

64_zps0ba22253.jpg

The rear of the hangar superstructure masking was also de-masked

67_zps9c3614bf.jpg

Test fitting revealed that the front section fits well. It clicks into a recessed area aft of the bridge superstructure

62_zps92ae6db4.jpg

61_zps09dddcfe.jpg

However, a gap begins to appear the further aft you go until the rear of the deck is well clear of the main deck

60_zpsba28abc7.jpg

59_zps52ebf3ac.jpg

The hangar superstructure port side should join seamlessly to the hull. This one is going to need a little work!

58_zpsad53b4af.jpg

Thanks for looking,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

G'day people,

Here are some more pics of the supestructure before I attached it to the deck

85_zps2965a916.jpg

86_zps28557fb2.jpg

87_zpsf1ce21e3.jpg

89_zps70a17073.jpg

Meanwhile I have been playing around with the ship's boat

001_zps22ed1cff.jpg

002_zps1a5648cf.jpg

This does not look like the current ships's boats that I have seen in my reference pics, I think they must have replaced it at some point. I am still deciding which time period and config state I want my Tico to be at. I know Veteran Models make a resin RHIB/ship's boat set so I may end up using these yet,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 4

G'day people,

This will be the last update for a little while as I will be busy with work commitments in the next few weeks.

I wanted to leave one of the hangar doors open to give a glimpse of a busy hangar bay with one helo inside all folded up undergoing maintenance. I had some reference pics which showed glimpses of the hangar bay interior but nothing exhaustive, so my detailing efforts were simplistic and mostly fictitious, so please do not assume the details are correct - I havn't!

The kit supplies a hangar bay comprised of four flat sections that feature chunky rib details. I have added some random cabling,conduits and pipework as well as some hangar roof sheetwork using sections of styrene strip and rod. I chopped up some sections of thin styrene strip and attached these to the roof stringers to represent hangar lighting. Finally, a 'mezzanine' balcony was added to the interior hangar bulkhead.

76_zps4e8db32c.jpg

77_zps4e50bfe9.jpg

78_zpsd2a18b1b.jpg

Some PE watertight doors, PEfire hoses and a balcony railing added a final touch.

After a quick blast of semi-gloss white, some of the details were picked out and a pin wash was applied.

79_zpsc3db9b62.jpg

80_zpsf751524e.jpg

81_zpsd47cd4c4.jpg

82_zpsdcc11edf.jpg

82_zpsdcc11edf.jpg

I added the large flag to give a more candid appearance as it seems common practice to see displays of patriotic pride in my reference pics, and it also makes it harder to see exactly how sparsley detailed the hangar bay actually is!

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

G'day people,

Well, I am finally back at the bench and I have made a little progress. The seam between the hangar superstructure and the hull sides has been filled and sanded

93_zpsaa8bc890.jpg

95_zps12848bb1.jpg

94_zps10e101a2.jpg

Now that that has been cleaned up, the major assembly work has come to an end, but not before the rudders were added as it is now the hull's turn to visit the paint shop

90_zps6e1605ab.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 4

Lovely jubbly!

Thanks, and hopefully your speech impediment will clear up soon!

Only a small amount of progress today.

I built up the small antenna platform that lives on top of the bridge

99_zps2edb53a9.jpg

100_zps138d67de.jpg

The lattice work was full of mould flash and it was a pain to clean up. It was also moulded in two halves which are split along the top of the platform base. Every time I tried to sand the seam it would break apart. The end cross pieces were very chunky so I ended replacing these with styrene rod. The top of the platform received a styrene disc which helped the thing stay together as well as eliminating the seam.

Next up, the SPS-49 radar antenna was assembled.

101_zps884ede9a.jpg

103_zpsb4b0fa5d.jpg

It consists of just four parts (and a strip of styrene!) but looks ridiculously better than the kit item, included here for comparison purposes

106_zpsc8e2310e.jpg

105_zpsb90dbe96.jpg

thanks for looking,

Pappy

• Like 5