WNW Sopwith Triplane, 8 Squadron Royal Naval Air service ++FINISHED++

photo1_zpsb929c32f.jpg

photo2_zps4e979673.jpg

photo3_zps20e4c358.jpg

Looks like it will be a lovely model to build. Current fave on Pheon decal sheet as indicated, because....

....One of my daughters friends is the great grand-daughter of Sir Herbert Thompson - ex RNAS, tripehound pilot and later knighted for service to India

He served in 8 sqn RNAS - possibly C flight and certainly flew Triplanes - as there are snippets on the web of interviews with him about the old flying staircase.

So Sir Bert - this ones for you!!

Jonners

• Like 2

Nice choice Jonners, was thinking of purchasing one of these myself, but found a 1/48 Eduard Tripehound on ebay, which is my preferred scale of choice.

Looking forward to watching your build.

More work on the wood graining.

I've applied some Indian Yellow over the initial dark brown oil - this has yellowed out the tone which was looking a little too red before, and is giving a nice fine grain. I'm reliably informed that British aircraft used a very fine grained high quality wood for their aero parts, so the grain pattern doesn't need to be coarse ( not like later war german parts which suffered from the effects of blockade and had to use inferior wood often), so the idea is to give a very tight fine grain. See what you think

tripestrut_zps8719f73a.jpg

Jonners

• Like 4

Wow Jonners thats looking great, love the wood grain

Instead of a 'how to' perhaps we could all send you the wood bits and you paint them (as you have had practice :worthy: ) then you send em back and we pretend it was our work all along :wicked:

will be watching this build now

• Like 1

That'll be great Jonners

let me see what I can come up with!

Wow Jonners thats looking great, love the wood grain

Instead of a 'how to' perhaps we could all send you the wood bits and you paint them (as you have had practice :worthy: ) then you send em back and we pretend it was our work all along :wicked:

will be watching this build now

LOL, or I could trade with someone that likes Alcladding for some of my shiny rocket planes

Jonners

• Like 2

You lucky fish to have one of these kits and I do like the struts, the wood grain effect is spot on. I'll be keeping an eye on the build thread.

Colin the envious...