Academy P-51B Mustang "Old Crow" 1:72

Very nice. I'm making the new Airfix P-51D myself, can't have too many Mustangs. I saw a programme on tv a while back and Bud Anderson actually took a Mustang up for a flight, amazing guy!!

Googled him, and he has a Facebook page, the Worlds gone mad!! What a Guy, great stuff.

What decals did you end up using, kit or after market?

All the best.

• Like 1

smart work - shame about the first one though :(

how did you photograph the spinning prop?

• Like 1

Kev1n, a hair-drier is what most people use to make the prop go round for photography.

dr_gn, well done for maintaining your patience. The finished model is well up to the exceptional standard which for you seems quite routine, but which would break me. I have never noticed the 'whitewalls' before: presumably the sidewalls were simply whitewashed for comic effect by the ground crew?

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2

Kev1n, a hair-drier is what most people use to make the prop go round for photography.

yes I know, but there are always alternatives, tho' I have to admit I can't think of one.......

• Like 1

I never tire of seeing MUSTANGS and yours is EXCELLENT.. :heart::heart:

Looking EXQUISITE in MY Eyes...Beautiful neat painting and neatly finished .. :worthy:

Look forward to seeing your photos from Duxford of the real thing if you take pics...... Here's hoping on MY part. :whistle:

Have a great show...

Your a Hawk is super too..

:worthy:

KUDOS......

• Like 1

Guys, thanks so much for the positive comments - it means a lot after what I've been through with that kit! Presumably the errors aren't that noticable after all (I'm particularly aggrieved by the canopy mismatch!).

To answer some questions:

Decals - I ended up with so many sets that I think apart form the stars they were all Academy originals, albeit the codes were doubled up to reduce the trancparency over the stripes. The stars I think were possibly from a Microscale set I had, and I think this is where my error with the fuselage stars came in (too big).

Prop spinning - no hairdryer! I just set thecamera to 2 second self timer and flicked the prop with my finger.

BTW I went to Duxford yesterday, but no sign of "Bud". He was definitely there, but he wasn't on any official list of veterans so I had zero chance of finding him. Ah well it was a great day as usual.

ETA, I e-mailed the "Old Crow" website to ask a few detail questions about the aircraft as I was buildig it, and lo and behold I got a response a few hours later from Bud Anderson himself! I really didn't expect that. Turns out the website is run by his son, and passes on any questions to his dad. Amazing. He agreed to sign the model base when he was at Duxford yestarday, but as I said I couldn't find him. Maybe I will send the paper by post and he micht sign it.

Edited by dr_gn
  • Like 4

Prop spinning - no hairdryer! I just set thecamera to 2 second self timer and flicked the prop with my finger.

ah - HA!.....I knew there was another way!!!!!

it's a mega - pic anyway :)

• Like 1