1/72 - Sukhoi Su-17 & Su-17M "Fitter-B/-C" by Modelsvit - released - Su-17/-22M-4 in 2024

Homebee

But, but.....They all look exactly the same to me! :shutup:

Modelsvit has made them all different in accordance with the original aircraft. I mean not only few bits and pieces are changed between releases but almost 100% of the kit. There were lots of differences between the individual versions. Modelsvits kit production technology allows for making new press forms for each version. It would be highly uneconomical with main stream mass production technology!

I have the Su-17M (cat.no 72011) and it is a very nice kit!

Best regards

Gabor

• 3 years later...
On 30/06/2016 at 10:44, KRK4m said:

Because Sukhoi made them like LEGO bricks - whole family of Fitters (Su-7, 17, "19", 20 and 22), Fishpots (Su-9 and 11) and Flagons (Su-15 and "21") uses just four types of wing, four types of propulsion (hidden in three types of rear fuselage), three vertical fins, two horizontal tails, and (excluding minor shape and equipment variations) five or six front fuselage types.

Leaving Fishpots and Flagons away (as well as the fixed-wing Fitter A) you have two basic generations of swing-wing Fitters and each of them exists with slimmer (Lyulka-engined) and fatter (Tumansky-engined) rear fuselage.

First generation uses the Su-7U (longer than basic Su-7/Su-9) fuselage and original Su-7/9/11 fin with rounded leading edge top. On the ground the fuselage is horizontal like in the Su-7/9/11 as the undercarriage remained unchanged from the fixed-wing variants. 994 were built in 1967-78.

The sub-types include: 1967 Su-7IG Fitter B (S-22I, AL-7F), 1969 Su-17 Fitter B (S-32, AL-7F), 1970 Su-17K Fitter B (S-32K, AL-7F), 1972 Su-17M Fitter C (S-32M, AL-21F), 1973 Su-20 Fitter C (S-32MK, AL-21F), 1974 Su-17M2 Fitter D (S-42, AL-21F), and 1977 Su-22 Fitter F (S-32M2K, R-29B).

Most of the second generation variants feature higher fin with sharp edges, but the key difference is visible on the ground - the main u/c is lower, the front one is higher and whole forward fuselage (with wide canopy and fat dorsal spine) is heavily drooped providing better cockpit view. 1873 were built between 1976 and 1990.

The sub-types with original (i.e. rounded) fin include: 1976 Su-17UM Fitter E (S-52U, AL-21F) and 1976 Su-22U Fitter E (S-52UK, R-29B).

Tall-tailed sub-types are: 1976 Su-17M3 Fitter H (S-52, AL-21F), 1978 Su-22M Fitter J (S-52K, R-29B), 1978 Su-22UM Fitter G (S-52UMK, R-29B), 1978 Su-17UM3 Fitter G (S-52UM3, AL-21F), 1979 Su-22UM3K Fitter G (S-52UM3, AL-21F), 1981 Su-17M4 Fitter K (S-54, AL-21F), 1982 Su-22M3 Fitter J (S-52MK, R-29B), 1983 Su-22UM3 Fitter G (S-52UM3K, R-29B), and 1984 Su-22M4 Fitter K (S-54K, AL-21F).

Designation system is very complex, as Su-17 (droop-nosed variants were briefly called Su-19) applies to all variants built for VVS with Su-17K, Su-20 and Su-22 left for the export customers. Moreover there's a factory system (S-22, 32, 42, 52, 54) using the same letter abbreviations for different aircraft, e.g. Su-22UM3 is S-52UM3K while Su-22UM3K is S-52UM3 ! Totally confusing :)

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael

Found this thread while searching up info on the OEZ/KP/SMER etc 1/48th Su-17/22 kit.

Do you know what version the kit best represents?  I know 48th is not your scale, but you may know more about the kit.  

If it helps I was wondering about an Egyptian Su-20 circa 1973

Thanks

T

17 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Michael

Found this thread while searching up info on the OEZ/KP/SMER etc 1/48th Su-17/22 kit.

Do you know what version the kit best represents?  I know 48th is not your scale, but you may know more about the kit.  

Thanks

Hi Troy,

All the kits offered so far do depict only last two variants - the -17M3/22M3 Fitter H and -17M4/22M4 Fitter K.

You can get the M3 as KP106, Kopro J48031, Kopro 3163, Smer 0855 or Eduard 1149.

The M4 (with air scoop at the vertical fin base) is available as KP105, Kopro J48041, Kopro 3156, Smer 0856, Eduard 1151, Mastercraft G12 as well as Karaya S4801 and S4802.

Both kits are basically the same - the difference is in fin sprue (that also includes some variations in stores). Kopro 3182 featured both variants in a single boxing.

Thus both kits feature "broken" (canted down) fuselage profile, shorter main u/c legs, longer front u/c leg, taller vertical fin, higher and broader canopy as well as the broad dorsal spine.

Building an Egyptian Su-20 Fitter C  in 1:48 is not an easy task - we in 1:72 can have all the existing variants.

You should use the Su-7BKL fuselage (albeit slightly stretched behind the cockpit). Unfortunately there's no (proper lenght) Su-7U in 1:48 either...

The undercarriage and vertical fin should also be taken from the Su-7BM kit. The cockpit canopy has to be made from scratch (don't know the aftermarket one).

Of course you will have to build the dorsal spine and then use the complete wings from the Su-17/22 kit. The brake chute container and various antennas will also be necessary.

Happily Egypt used the Lyulka-powered variant, as featured by all 1:48 kits. Libyan Fitters are Tumansky R-29 powered, thus complete rear fuselage will be needed.

Cheers

Michael

PS. You didn't ask me about the 1:48 Hobby Boss and Kitty Hawk kits. Each of them is available as single- and two-seater form. But these are also M3/M4 variants, similarly useless for your Egyptian project. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KRK4m said:

You didn't ask me about the 1:48 Hobby Boss and Kitty Hawk kits. Each of them is available as single- and two-seater form. But these are also M3/M4 variants, similarly useless for your Egyptian project. 

Brilliant reply Michael.

I suspected this was the answer, but thank you for the confirmation.

I asked about the KP kit specifically as I picked one up from ebay as an cheap package, was not well listed, and stuffed full of resin AM (neomega cockpit, resin slats, wheel wells, wheels, wing and slats and more) for considerably less than a HB or KH kit would sell for...

Thank you for the information. 

cheers

T

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 10:51 PM, Troy Smith said:

Hi Michael

Thanks

T

You could also do the first swing wing fitter in Egypt, the Su-17K! Not a lot easier though... but different again :devil:

On 4/11/2020 at 12:14 AM, J.C. Bahr said:

So is an Su-22 like Libya used, ever going to be released, or have I missed it somewhere?

Not yet, but hopefully someday; it's also still used by the Poles, for a little while, at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Not yet, but hopefully someday; it's also still used by the Poles, for a little while, at least.

You are mixing up versions here. Poland uses the Su-22M4. Currrntly thostly used version worldwide ;)

Probably only some Su-22M3 still used in Vietnam and Syria, maybe Iran an well. That's it! The rest is M4s... and not many either!

Syria, Vietnam, Angola, Poland, Iran?, ... 

I think Bulgaria also retired it already. Yemen most likeky not operational due to civil/Saudi war....

On 4/11/2020 at 7:14 AM, J.C. Bahr said:

So is an Su-22 like Libya used, ever going to be released, or have I missed it somewhere?

It is available for years already. But not in 1/48 😢

In 1/72 you have the R-29 powered Fitters from Hobbycraft/Kitech and Pantera/Mistercraft.

Cheers

Michael

9 hours ago, KRK4m said:

In 1/72 you have the R-29 powered Fitters from Hobbycraft/Kitech and Pantera/Mistercraft.

Oh no way, those kits are long overdue for replacement!  The Hobbycraft molding is not even what they represent on the outside of the box!  The Pantera (Italeri?) is alright, but suffers it's own issues and not well detailed.  We've been needing a good Fitter series for a long time.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, J.C. Bahr said:

Oh no way, those kits are long overdue for replacement!  The Hobbycraft molding is not even what they represent on the outside of the box!  The Pantera (Italeri?) is alright, but suffers it's own issues and not well detailed.  We've been needing a good Fitter series for a long time.

AFAIK the Pantera kit has nothing in common with (much better, but limited to the later variants only) Bilek kit, reboxed by Italeri.

The Hobbycraft was only reboxed by Kitech and Polish SKmodel, while the Pantera tool had much more incarnations, including Smer, Master/Mistercraft, Plastyk, Akkura and Eastern Express.

But never the Italeri  :)

A the moment I have a decent Su-17 kit by Modelsvit in stash. If COVID allows there will be also the R29-powered variant in their pipeline I hope.

Cheers

Michael

The problem with the Pantera Su-22 kit and its numerous reboxes is that it does not really represent this variant. And maybe does not even correctly represent the correspinding Su-17 variants... The rear fuselage is somewhere between the two, maybe closer to the R29 engined Su-22s in section but closer to the AL-21 engined ones in details.

I still have the mastercraft Su-22M3 in the stash with plenty of aftermarket parts and Lybian decals, I'm often tempted to start building but then I give up... I'm sure that Modelsvit will issue their kit of this variant the day I'll finish mine 😆

• 2 years later...

From Vespa Model Kits

Source: https://www.facebook.com/VespaModelKits/posts/pfbid02vsGonPe8hdxMMr9NeAXUKZHayqN49oygw4arWnBeVmyhgMXtojE11CSNFhP3FK2kl

We are proud to announce our two first 1/72 scale releases: Tumansky R-29-300 rear fuselage conversion (VMKC 72001), designed for the Modelsvit series of Sukhoi Su-17 "Fitters". This set will be available in our web site https://vespamodels.com/ by the end of August.

297432951-469437625189260-61878511464544

V.P.

• Like 6

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Sukhoi Su-17 & Su-17M "Fitter-B/-C" by Modelsvit - released - Vespa Tumansky R-29-300 conversion set
16 minutes ago, Claudio Moura said:

Dear Sirs, 

exactly what the Modelsvit Sukhoy box I must be to use this conversion?

Thanks,

Claudio

No.72047, Claudio

9 hours ago, Laurent said:

In order to do a Su-22UM3 ? I guess so. After all the single sticker is a twin sticker without a rear cockpit.

That is what I am hoping so that I can build an Iraqi twin sticker.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 10:09 AM, Jabba said:

Could it be used on the twin stickers?

Yes. However, depending on the moulding you might need to remove a little of the fin fillet. The boxart shows Fitter-E, F, G and J.

• 1 month later...

For those who have ordered this conversion set and are not on FB, there is a delay in despatch due to some moulding faults. Amaru says they should start to be sent out next week. 

Martin

• 2 weeks later...