1/72 - Sukhoi Su-17 & Su-17M "Fitter-B/-C" by Modelsvit - released - Su-17/-22M-4 in 2024

Homebee

Well,it's about time we have an accurate sukhoi fitter in the market.It was a mighty long wait,thankfully it's here now.

Could not agree more, and hopefully there are other different variants of "Fitters" to come.

O for awesome, bring on the Su-22s

I have all of the Modelsvit Su-7 series they started producing over the last few years and IMHO they are quite a few steps up from say Amodel kits which the lay-out of the sprues remind me of. Obviously not a 100% simple click and connect but nice nevertheless.

Great news

• 3 weeks later...

I've have a feeling it won't be that long before trumpeter give us 1/48 SU-7 and 17 given they've announced the 9 and 11...

That's not based on any rumours just a feeling/hope....

In the mean time I may try one of these....

Edited by SaintsPhil

• 2 weeks later...

Could not agree more, and hopefully there are other different variants of "Fitters" to come.

Check out the shop website - 4 different variants of the SU-7 available and, a different version of the SU-22. Why is pay day 3 weeks away ??? :(

Allan

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

is possibe to assemble the Peruvian version with this kit? I, particulary, think that no.... NOTE: Peruvian Air Force had Su-22 and Su-17 versions!

I'm surprised that Peru would have had Su-17s. Su-17 is the domestic (Soviet) designation while Su-22 (and Su-20) is the export designation.

I believe that the conversion work would be extensive.

- modify the rear fuselage which is more bulged because the engine is different; because of this the fin must be modified too

- add the under nose Doppler radar bulge

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 1

Claudio, my understanding is that Peru only used Su-22 variants with the R-29 engine, not Su-17s.

The variants used were two: the original Su-22 was the equivalent (at least in terms of visual differences) of the Soviet Su-17M2 but with a different engine requiring a different rear fuselage and with a different fin-fuselage fairing (more angular on the 22)

Later the Su-22M was received, that is the equivalent of the soviet Su-17M3. Again, this has the different rear fuselage etc. The Su-22 and Su-22M differ in the front fuselage that is angled downward in the M.

The kit shown above is a Su-17M, that differs from both the M2 and M3 in the front fuselage, so this is not a good base even if the modifications to the rear fuselage are introduced.

If you know something about the presence of true Su-17s in Peruvian service, I'd sure like to know more ! If you know what versions these were, I can advice on the kit to use.

For a Su-22 at the moment the options are very limited as no kit that I know of correctly represents the rear fuselage of this type, although the Pantera/Mastercraft kits are the closest

• Like 1

I'm surprised that Peru would have had Su-17s. Su-17 is the domestic (Soviet) designation while Su-22 (and Su-20) is the export designation.

I believe that the conversion work would be extensive.

- modify the rear fuselage which is more bulged because the engine is different; because of this the fin must be modified too

- add the under nose Doppler radar bulge

Dear Laureant,

thanks for your explanation!

Maybe I could make some confusion with the designations because I have not certain if in Peru the Su-20 was called Su-17 too... I myself didn´t the differences of these versions until recently....

Regards,

Claudio Moura

Claudio, my understanding is that Peru only used Su-22 variants with the R-29 engine, not Su-17s.

The variants used were two: the original Su-22 was the equivalent (at least in terms of visual differences) of the Soviet Su-17M2 but with a different engine requiring a different rear fuselage and with a different fin-fuselage fairing (more angular on the 22)

Later the Su-22M was received, that is the equivalent of the soviet Su-17M3. Again, this has the different rear fuselage etc. The Su-22 and Su-22M differ in the front fuselage that is angled downward in the M.

The kit shown above is a Su-17M, that differs from both the M2 and M3 in the front fuselage, so this is not a good base even if the modifications to the rear fuselage are introduced.

If you know something about the presence of true Su-17s in Peruvian service, I'd sure like to know more ! If you know what versions these were, I can advice on the kit to use.

For a Su-22 at the moment the options are very limited as no kit that I know of correctly represents the rear fuselage of this type, although the Pantera/Mastercraft kits are the closest

Dear Giorgio,

my confuse is because the FAP called all your Sukhois like Su-22!! But the difference in the canopies is the most visible.... and, I believe, that your explanation with Su-22 and Su-22M designations is the point! MAYBE the FAP called Su-22 was the short canopy (like Su-17/20) and the Su-22M was large canopy (like Soviet Su-22M3 canopy). For this my mistake in refer the designations!

http://s94.photobucket.com/user/Halcon_24/media/SU-22%20de%20la%20FAP/SU-22yarmamento3.jpg.html

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/kkkarmapolice/CIX%2007/Su-22M2_011_FAP_ECardenas_CIX07.jpg

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/7/9/9/1650997.jpg

http://geocities.ws/aviacionperucenepa/AeronavesPeru/imagenes/su2223.jpg

Well, so I have to wait the Modelsvit release the Su-22M Family... correct?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Claudio Moura

Well, so I have to wait the Modelsvit release the Su-22M Family... correct?

Well there's always...

158040-11185.jpg

Poor detailing, expected problematic fit (I've built their Su-17... I had to fill the gaps with melted plastic), hybrid Tumansky/Lyulka rear fuselage but the Doppler bulge is provided.

Claudio

yes, correct, in any case we have to wait for a proper Su-22. The rear fuselage of most Su-22 is different because of the different engine. I say most because the Su-22M4 has the same engine of the Su-17M4, but Peru never used this variant so I'm not to go into this one.

The cockpit and front fuselage is indeed different between Su-22 and Su-22M. The FAP correctly used these designation, they are the same used by the Soviets (at least according to most sources). I've also seen the designation Su-22A for the first version, not sure if it was locally used in Peru or is only a western designation never really used by anyone.

To recap:

Su-22: same front fuselage of the Soviet Su-17M2. This is longer than the original Su-17/Su-20 (by 200 mm). Has a fairing under the intake for a Doppler ground speed system (that makes the version easy to recognise). The dorsal spine is slim, same as the original Su-17.

Su-22M: same front fuselage of the Soviet Su-17M3. This has a wider canopy and the area before the canopy is angled downward. There's no fairing under the intake. The dorsal spine is fatter where it meets the canopy.

All variants have the rear fuselage typical of the R29 engined variants, that is different from the Su-17. And all variants have a very angular spine/tailfin fillet while the Su-17s have a smoother transition.

Personally I consider the Su-22M one of the most interesting variants of this aircraft, it's a pity that there's no easy to build accurate OOB kit of this variant.

• Like 1