++Update 30/9 ++ Fisher Model & Pattern 1/32 RB-51 Reno Racer

trickyrich

Ok to prove I’m completely and utterly crazy.....I just couldn’t help myself! :doh: The urge to build this has just too great and seeing the other racers and with the delays in starting the Cavalier.......... :whistle:

DSCF1255_zps4ed138c9.jpg

Actually to say I’ve had the urge to build this is an understatement, have been playing with it regularly and now I’ve finish my 3/1 roster I have the time to really think about it...now with this STGB the perfect opportunity! I’ll make no promises at this stage that I’ll finish it in time though!

DSCF1256_zpscf5afc81.jpg

This should for the most part be a fairly simple build as the quality of the moulding is just first class, way better than most plastic stuff even!! Trail fits have shown that there will be very little filler required and everything just fits...no trimming even!!

DSCF1257_zps311046fd.jpg

DSCF1262_zps8246e5d8.jpg

The biggest part of the build will be the paint job and finish, which I must say is a bit daunting!

DSCF1261_zps447ec320.jpgDSCF1260_zps1f9218e4.jpgDSCF1259_zpsa0ab1e0d.jpg

DSCF1263_zps53f6dd52.jpg

Enamels and Acrylics I don’t think will cut it for this, weapon of choice for painting will be Lacquer and probably automotive! I use to use it a lot with 1/24 & 1/12 car models and you could get mirror finishes quite easily. Plus being resin the lacquer won’t eat the plastic....actually if you’re really careful and light with the spraying you can apply lacquer straight to plastic without dramas.......just very light couple of coats first.

DSCF1265_zps72ae6d7e.jpg

The only issue I have with the model is that the tail wheel is missing...spares box of aftermarket for that!

DSCF1258_zps6cfe5f50.jpg

This won’t be in a rush to build this and if I don’t finish in time it’ll go into the WIP thread.

Well here we go! :whistle:

• Like 4

What a beautiful-looking kit!

You're not wrong, I’d have to say it’s one of the finest moulded resin models I’ve ever work on, and that is quite a few!!!

Well have spent most of the time just cleaning up the major and some minor bits. Very little was actually required in the way of filling, just a couple of areas, and only a coupe of pin holes!

DSCF1766_zpsadd79d1a.jpg

DSCF1765_zps27b40423.jpgDSCF1764_zps84873514.jpg

The only actual faulty moulding found was one of the prop blades, and there were two extra blades in with the model, so no problems there.

DSCF1761_zps312ff337.jpg

Did some more test fits and tidied up some the the internal bit so that everything fits nicely.

DSCF1762_zps40458435.jpg

Now just have to clean up some of the filled sections before everything gets a nice bath to clean up any residual mould releasing agents.

DSCF1763_zpsa854a1b1.jpgDSCF1767_zps622de018.jpg

Yummy bronze (?) undercarriage)

DSCF1758_zps628c2ae9.jpg

The interior will be painted Lt. Grey, almost a Ghost Grey, will do a wee bit of pre-shading and post washing to help remove the blandness, but the interior will be left very much clean.

Am just loving this build, so happy to be back working with nice resin!

• Like 1

Gosh it's seems like forever since I updated this!

Well work has interfered as in I have had to go to work this week, but least it’s close to home for a change.

Most of the time spent so far has been looking at the fit of all the major parts and cleaning up areas that maybe a problem. So lots and lots of trial fitting and sanding, the quality of the resin used is excellent and it’s as easy to shape and work as plastic. Plus lots of time spent finding and going over all the reference photo’s and stuff I can find.

There are a few serious fit and gap issues but I can’t do too much more until I finish and fit the cockpit. They’re not show stopper but can only be worked on later in the build. Plus to prevent damage to the wing tips and trailing edges which are soooo fine, I’ve had to tape them up.

The nose has lots of rivets/panel fasteners which are actually quite noticeable on photos of the real thing (they used silver coloured panel fasteners which will be fun to duplicate!!). These were not quite so noticeable or uniform on the fuselage, plus some were completely missing. So a few boring hours where spent fixing and adding!!! Plus the spinners needed work to add details and get them to line up correctly, not too much of an issue for me, but have read they can be quite problematic!

DSCF1769_zpsa6a7baae.jpg

Just over halfway through..... :hypnotised:

DSCF1770_zps312667eb.jpg

The cockpit though detailed needed more work as it was a bit bared plus there was no visible wiring. So spares were raided for bits and pieces plus the odd PE bit, then lots of wire....and it’s looks not too bad. I won’t say it’s 100% accurate as there arn’t many detailed photos of the cockpit. Once it’s all together and in place it does look great, there still a bit of work to go though.

cockpitdetails_zps9b56426a.jpg

And yes the floor did have two wooden floor panels so what better to use than real wood.....much easier than trying to paint wood!!!

DSCF1776_zps895b6070.jpg

The main undercarriage doors are closed on the ground, which is nice as the detail is not fantastic. If I was leaving them open and wanted to spend the time I’d fit aftermarket items....though that would mean having to grind out the originals......not a fun thought!!

DSCF1775_zps885c841f.jpg

Just sitting together like this gives you a good idea what she looked like....very sleek! Am loving this build so far even if I don’t have that much to show for all the time spent!

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok after what seems forever I'm back to this one...

As mentioned I probably won’t get to finish this build in time but will see how we go.

All the work with this build is the preparation, it needs to be perfect else the finish won’t be right...and it needs to be perfect.

Well since the last update the hole model has been rubbed back first with 600 grid and then up to 600 grit so as to give the resin a smooth finish but still leave something for the paint to grip. Plus I’m now sort of ready to fit the lower wing, there are a couple of fit issues here I need to figure as I really don’t want to do too much filling.....mains way more pre-paint perp-work!

DSCF1917_zps20d31b57.jpg

This picture makes the surface look quite rough, but this is over 1/2 hours using micro-fibre pads up to 6000 grit!

Plus the finish on the main wheel wells was crap so it had to go, a little time with some over cleaner and all gone. I’ll redo this before the top coats go on.

DSCF1916_zps17bf4a54.jpg

I had planned to use automotive lacquer for primer and top coats (another reason why I left doing any work on this until the days started to warm up). The primer works perfectly and is smooth once shot and is nice and thin. The main coats are another matter, the paint is just a bit too thick and doesn’t go on a smoothly as I would like. So for these I’ll now switch to Tamiya lacquers as they go on a lot thinner and it’s easy to get a smooth finish. The spinner covers have just been primed.

DSCF1915_zpsf06e88b6.jpg

I need to get this sorted out before I can go much further as the lower scoop needs to be fitted so I can fill in some rather large gaps.

DSCF1919_zps69f1b8a1.jpg

Plus I have just found out I’ve lost the instructions......... :doh:

• Like 2