EA-1F Electric Skyraider

Hi All, Just taken some pic`s of my very latest completion: my attempt at making an Electric Spad out of Revells boxing of the old Matchbox 1/48 A1-E Skyraider

998y3rb.jpg

Completed to represent an aircraft of VAQ-33 Det 14, USS Ticonderoga, June 1968

7jJuVPZ.jpg

Built from what is mostly in the box, with a few modifications and improvements, including;

CkrXYjn.jpg

Slightly embellished seats using scraps of plastic, paper and foil seat belts and wire, homemade windscreen wiper,...

bxxiJDP.jpg

some antenna from plastic card,tail ECM fairing from a modified fuel tank, new cowling cooling flaps from plastic

card

lzkY59l.jpg

thinned the wheels a bit and added brake cylinders and pipes, boxed and detailed the wheel wells

MzOlgQe.jpg

plus prop, fuel tanks and ECM pods from the spares box with decals being a mix of the kits, the stash and the tail band being hand painted

It`s not 100% accurate but near enough for my shelves.

Hope you enjoy looking at,

Cheers Russ

• Like 21

That's a first class job, a real punchy look to it. The paint and panel line work looks like the real aircraft. Cheers Lindan.

• Like 1

That is impressive! even more so when you take into account the kit you have built it from!

Great work :)

• Like 1

Looks a bit splendid

If this isn't a daft question, how did the undercarriage retract? DID the undercarriage retract? I've Googled pictures that imply it did, but I can't see how it would on the version you have modelled.

I *love* Skyraiders, me...!

Mike

• Like 1

Looks a bit splendid

If this isn't a daft question, how did the undercarriage retract? DID the undercarriage retract? I've Googled pictures that imply it did, but I can't see how it would on the version you have modelled.

I *love* Skyraiders, me...!

Mike

Hi Mike, you`ve just pointed out something I`ve missed, the two levers behind the main leg should have a hinge in them and a cross piece about 1/2 way down which would be pulled inwards by a jack, same as on the single seat versions,then the main gear lies over the spar with the main wheel in the wheel well. I`ll correct it one day soon, Cheers Thanks for looking and commenting.

Thanks to everyone for looking and positive comments.

Another Superb build Russ,I know you,ve done a lot of extra work on the basic kit but great to see a Matchbox product turned out to such a high

standard,one of those brave releases Matchbox used to give us.

• Like 1