1/57th (we think!) Pegasus Aerial Hunter Killer Machine - Build Review

Not used the Flory stuff, but it seems to give a decent finish, I'm more of an oils man myself, it suits my pace and I like the fact that you can play around with it for a day or so after you apply it. B)

The MIG stuff offers you quite a range of options, wash, dust and fix, all manner of fun. I'm still messing around with it at the moment.....But it's definitely one of the better purchases I've made recently. ;)

It's Alclad primer, their metallics are designed to work on a smooth gloss black surface.....And I do mean smooth!

Which makes the finish that Nigel has achieved all the more commendable.....The kit's ABS plastic is not altogether pleasant to work with and the panel lines on some of the major components do not align terribly well unless you lose the locating pins.

On the list of modelling products that intimidate me Alclad's near the top.....I was going to chicken out and use use multiple greys and and a lot of graphite for a heavily battle-worn finish.

• Like 1

Why did you paint it black first ?

KT said it really but I would just like to add that although the Alclad Gloss Black base is what you are supposed to use I don't think it is particularly glossy. I think an ordinary gloss black paint would give a more "chrome plated" finish. I was aware of this and think the finish I have better matches what the model should look like.

• Like 1

I have to agree that the Alclad Gloss Black is not as glossy as you would expect and doesn't polish up too well.

Often wondered why it has to be black or is it just the gloss finish that is needed.

Great work so far Nigel, the lighting should look impressive with the chrome finish.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

Today I decided that the Alclad had enough time to harden up so started on the weathering.

I was not sure how this would work so first I applied some Flory black wash to the underside of the engines:

P1070146_zps15d292c3.jpg

Like KT I would normally use an oil paint wash thinned with white spirit but Flory washes are water based, I felt this was the best choice for this model for two main reasons:

1] I just feel it will give the right look to the model

2] Past experience has shown that although the Alclad gloss black base is a cellulose paint it is dissolved by white spirit

Hence a water based wash seemed like the best way to go.

I did a check on how robust the Alclad chrome was now and found that with hard rubbing with a cotton bud it could be removed:

P1070147_zpsfc8da7fc.jpg

I need to proceed with caution then.

Here is the engine intakes before and after the wash:

P1070148_zpsc154fcf5.jpg

I think that looks quite nice and takes away the toy like appearance.

I found that the Flory wash was quite forgiving and if an area dried and I was not happy with it, it could just be removed with a damp cotton bud.

About three hours and several cotton buds later I had got everything done:

P1070149_zps3ba6de43.jpg

Time now for some assembly.

• Like 4

Thanks KT, here is the rest of tonight's work. I must also thank g-usa for putting me on to the Flory washes, they are great products.

I furckled out the bits of damp tissue I had used to mask the underside LEDs:

P1070150_zps4593e7a9.jpg

I then installed the lenses using Gator glue:

P1070151_zps85ecbcac.jpg

I also did an electrical test and by Jove they still worked!!

I removed the liquid masking from the front lights and gave them a bit of the weathering treatment:

P1070152_zps5184caf6.jpg

They need soldering on of course but that is now a job for tomorrow.

I glued all the claws and arms together and got them installed:

P1070153_zpsf80cdef2.jpg

I have realized that they are supposed to act as the landing legs and did look briefly at the option of posing this model on the ground. I think it could be done but would involve quite a bit of work remodelling the legs plus I think this model is best displayed in flying mode. It would be a good project for someone though - it never appeared landed in the films so it would be interesting to see.

Finally, here is how the weathered engines look:

P1070154_zpscd280949.jpg

I am going to selectively brush some areas on those with a semi-matt varnish as that is what I can see on the film prop.

There is not much more to do and hopefully I should get this finished tomorrow. Then there is just the base to get sorted out.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 3

Again I'd be inclined to consider layering washes of another colour onto what you have there.....It's a smashing finish but it's very uniform. With a subject like this I'd be inclined to go a bit bonkers TBH. ;)

• Like 1

I'm not unhappy Nige, just offering an inkling of how I might have approached it.....I was thinking maybe a very slightly reddish (or even greenish) brown selectively applied to locations where you already have a prominent build up of the black, suggesting fresh oil in areas where a major stain has built up, that sort of thing. :hmmm:

Coming from the AFV school of modelling I like to go heavy with the weathering effects, I'm comfortable with it and I really enjoy messing with the media.....I'm certainly not suggesting it's in any way a better or more correct approach, that would be rather ridiculous under the circumstances. ;)

• Like 1

Looks very good Nigel. To maybe get a happy compromise with Sarge's request, perhaps in areas where it looks like there might be oil leakage you might try a light wash of Tamiya Smoke. This would give a similar finish as Flory Black or Dark Dirt, but with a gloss finish. The Flory washes typically create a dull finish. The Smoke wash would have a wet finish like fresh lubricant stains. Just a thought. The kit looks smashing though.

• Like 1

Looking really nice Nigel!

On the list of modelling products that intimidate me Alclad's near the top.....I was going to chicken out and use use multiple greys and and a lot of graphite for a heavily battle-worn finish.

I was the same until I tried them, now I'm addicted. So easy to spray, so shiny, just great! I haven't tried to get a glassy finish on anything, mind, but blending the metallics on hot bits is heaps of fun.

Will

• Like 1

On the weathering front, one thing to consider is that while the film prop does look like uniform chrome, when you see it on the screen it's lit with lots of contrast and colour. Which your model might not be - so there could be scope for building some of that lighting into your paint job, or taking some carefully-lit pictures afterwards for dramatic movie impact :)

Also I found this while looking for pictures which is pretty cool:

W

Very cool, I want one. Impressive that it is stable with just the two thrusters.

I had a minor disaster when I tried to implement my plan of painting these panels on the engines with this semi-matt varnish. It is cellulose based and as I brushed it on it dissolved the Alclad black base underneath:

P1070155_zps796857c0.jpg

I decided to live with it and after coating it with some Vallejo acrylic matt varnish I actually quite like the effect.

I then finished installing all the remaining parts including soldering up the front lights and primed and painted the support tube just using rattle cans. A test of the electrics confirmed that everything was working:

P1070157_zps8b56fdb2.jpg

P1070159_zps1bf26088.jpg

The tail lights still worked although a nighttime shot might show them to better effect:

P1070158_zpsae6b5111.jpg

I think I can declare this project as finished apart from sorting out the stand:

P1070156_zps6f99282d.jpg

When that is done I will post a proper RFI.

As a conclusion to this review I would like to say that this is a good kit that builds up into an authentic representation of the subject without too much fuss. Recommended.

Nigel

• Like 3

Very cool, I want one. Impressive that it is stable with just the two thrusters.

I thought that too, but if you look really carefully the nose cone is vented top and bottom and there's a third fan in there - much better for stability :)

Well done on getting to the finish, it looked like hard work but the end result is cool. Looking forward to the RFI shots.

Now all you need are piles of tiny skulls for the base...

Will

• Like 1

Thanks Will, I did guess there were some extra thruster points in there - still very clever though. I imagine the "real" HK would have had to have tip jet thrusters on the tail and possibly other places but there is no evidence of them on this model. Such is Sci-fi.

Looks spiffing nigel, I think you have convinced me to buy one.

Goid luck on the quest for scale skulls, I wanted some for my 1:8 t800 endoskeleton, but couldn't find any.

Matt.

• Like 1

Your first build review was quite good and informative. I do like how what might have been a disaster with the chemical reaction between the top coat and primer coat resulting in a very neat effect. Way to go. Hope this will be the first of many reviews.

• Like 1

Thanks g-usa, I think your comment of "quite good" is faint praise but I will happily accept that. I now look to being showered to lots of free kits for me to review in my own special style.

Bring it on.

Nigel