Airfix 1/24 Typhoon

chrisov

I thought I recognised the name; a few weeks ago Amazon were offering the Italeri 1/35 Vosper at a fantastically low price. When I placed an order, I got a "Very sorry, we got the price wrong, so your order is cancelled." I wouldn't touch "jadlamracingmodels" with the proverbial bargepole after that.

Edgar

Jadlamracing do have a habit of doing this far too often, but I'll stick with them cos they're one of the very few places which will post an order to N.I. without hiking the delivery charge up cos we're not 'mainland'.

• Like 1

Chris,

If you read through the bumf in your first quoted Amazon ref., it says:

THIS IS A PRE-ORDER FOR THE HAWKER TYPHOON THAT IS DUE IN-STOCK BETWEEN THE 8TH - 12TH OF JULY New in 2014, a super detailed 1:24 scale model of the legendary ground attack Hawker Typhoon MkIb. This fantastic model has been created using our advanced CAD design used on all our new models, and we think youâ€TMll agree the results are stunning! Introduced into service in 1941, the Hawker Typhoon was designed to be the RAF's new ultimate interceptor fighter. Superseding the Hawker Hurricane it was hoped that the Typhoon, together with the Spitfire, would be a powerful and effective opponent of the Luftwaffe. However, it was not to be. Initially plagued by mechanical woes from the engine and suffering from a deficit in performance at high altitude, the Typhoon instead found fame as a low level attack aircraft, a role to which it was both well-suited and hugely effective.

Patience, we'll get it in due course!

Cheers, Brian

Have to disagree with Edgar, I have used Jadlam a number of times now with no issues, bit cheaper with free postage. The last one being the new Revell 1/32 Spitfire MkII. Purchased for £19.95 with free carriage. I cant fault or argue with that.

Re the Vosper, well everyone can make a mistake I suppose. Everyone loves a bargain does not all ways come off then you win one or pick one up and its happy days!

I was lucky with my Vosper, picked mine up from Modelzone a year ago for under £70.00 when the Reading store was closing down.

I will be getting one, but not until Christmas / Birthday. At least I am not buying it. Down to Mrs B for this one.

Just been told (by Hornby) that Typhoons have arrived, but just the first batch; until the second batch arrives, none will be distributed. This is to ensure that the situation of some retailers getting them, and some not, doesn't arise, since it causes the odd whinge. From that, it would seem that anyone saying they have it already in stock might be speaking with forked tongue.

Edgar

Tonto is purported to have said "I think paleface speak with forked tongue" in the first episode of "The Lone Ranger."

Maybe this also applies to model suppliers. Why the rush for it? Most will probably end up as temporary loft insulation, or even worse not built and end up back on evilbay. I am willing to wait on this one until white beard and red suit man comes rocking around my Christmas tree. Will keep me happy over the festive season

• Like 1

I would broadly agree with Edgar in that Jadlam gave me the run around twice over the Airfix 1/48th Lightning. It was the SMW weekend a couple of years back and I'd just let two go in the Kit Swap at £18 apiece. Having bought one from Jadlam previously without trouble I checked the site that night and 'lo and behold' I could get one from them for about £18 so the order was placed and the PayPal transaction completed, Later the following week I got the message to say they hadn't actualy got the kit and the money was refunded - drat! But I persevered and a few weeks later the kit was available again and so I went through the whole process again and, yes, that too was a phantom kit and not of the F-4 variety. Jadlam were very embarrased and gave me a special discount code for my next purchase - which was a good 6 months or more later but I was able to get a couple of Tamiya Meteors for a very reasonable price as a result. The moral here is that Jadlam sometimes get it wrong but, if you tell them how upset you are with the fiasco you too may get a super discount opportunity in the future! I hasten to add that I have bought from them since then and have been very pleased so, on balance I have to say that they are okay but have a 'rogue' computer system!!

Simon

Hat tons just emailed ....typhoon should be with them on or after 21july....

Me three but...

...they're telling me the price has gone up to £80, when I ordered it was £70, whilst I know £80 is a bargain, it's still not as bargainous as £70!

The e-mail I got at the time said the price you pay is the price currently advertised.

I find e-Hattons service very good - I wonder if the e-mail we all received was a blanket one and I'll actually get charged £70?

Wez

Tonto is purported to have said "I think paleface speak with forked tongue" in the first episode of "The Lone Ranger."

Maybe this also applies to model suppliers. Why the rush for it? Most will probably end up as temporary loft insulation, or even worse not built and end up back on evilbay. I am willing to wait on this one until white beard and red suit man comes rocking around my Christmas tree. Will keep me happy over the festive season

Why the rush for it? Well look at it from a traders perspective...if the 1st trader can get your money first, then the money won't go to 2nd trader ......

Edited by Bill Clark

Im waiting for the third trader, :D To be fair it will probably come from the trader I usually use, He will be getting my money

Support your local trader (Waives fist in the air)

I have heard, from my LMS, that Airfix have upped the price to retailers yet kept the RRP so reducing the dealers margin. Might explain why the discounted price has risen.

My LMs said the same thing, but not just the Tiffie, its on all the products.

Hornby cannot dictate the RRP; they can only sell to the retailer, with a recommended retail price. What the retailer sells at is entirely up to him (if this wasn't the case, you'd never be able to buy at a discount, e.g. Hannant's offering a 10% reduction on pre-orders.)

The main point is; Hornby have upped the price to the retailer, leaving him less room for offers. My LMS says, on average, the wholesale price has gone up by 20%, and on some kits such as the Tiffie his wholesale price is just below the 'discount' price a certain major seller is selling [advertising to sell] retail at.

Like any business Airfix will sell for what they can. Trade customers will all get rates based on volume.

I am sure Hattons, Hannants will pay less per kit than Joe Bloggs Models on the high street. Its just standard business practice.

I must admit that if I had a LHS I would use it.

Julien