Blenheim oil tanks colour

olda homola

I think the red rubber was for self-sealing petrol tanks, I don't think it works for oil tanks as it needs petrol leaking out to make the raw rubber layer swell up and stop the leak.

I'm not 100% certain but I think that's right :hmmm:

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Ben.

Those were without red rubber protection cover seen on mid/late war british planes? (Mosquito, Lancaster....)?

I would'nt have thought so as there were no mid to late war produced blenheim 1! Any surviving Mk1 airframes at that time ( few i would think ) might have been fitted with a coated tank.

Selwyn

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC, Edgar posted a description of the painting of the 'aluminium' coloured interior of the spitfire (e.g. behind the cockpit in the fuselage), which involved a grey primer and an aluminium top coat.

What's the practice with other types? If it was exposed to the elements, is there not a case for giving it a protective coating?

Hi

When i was an automotive apprentice many many years ago, a lot of the tradesmen, were ex raf groundcrew

they used the silverine paint on most tanks etc, it coped with heat and helped stop corosion and any leaks showed up real easy.

cheers

jerry