New Revell Tornado: Middle bit issue

Gary West

The Fat Slags did appear on a Jaguar, but I'm not sure whether the artwork was applied after the conflict ended.

I was stationed at Muharraq on the Tornado detachment and we shared the Dutch Barns with the Jags and Buccs. During the conflict I don't remember seeing the Fat Slags noseart.

XVTonker :pilot:

XX962 certainly had artwork applied on its return to Coltishall in March '91. There are plenty of photo's on the web of that occassion. Can't say for sure when it was applied though, but it was applied by Cpl Paul Robins, who painted the artwork on the majority of Jag's whilst 'out there'.. FAT SLAG artwork was applied on the right side of the nose, whereas CRUSADER was applied on the other side. This may have been applied by SAC Dave Keely, who applied other artwork on the Jag's....

http://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/gb/jaguar.html

fat_slags_5.jpg

fat_slags_3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It's done!

Cue one 1/48 Revell Tornado IDS kit going in the bin!!!!

Fuselage fit was bloody awful to the point that it wasn't worth any more effort!...I dry fitted it all before assembly to no avail & I'm not gonna waste anymore time on it!!

Worse kit I've made in a long time!

It's done!

Cue one 1/48 Revell Tornado IDS kit going in the bin!!!!

Fuselage fit was bloody awful to the point that it wasn't worth any more effort!...I dry fitted it all before assembly to no avail & I'm not gonna waste anymore time on it!!

Worse kit I've made in a long time!

I'm very sorry you feel that way. Granted, the fuselage assembly is complex but, a "bloody awful fit that wasn't worth any more effort"? I'm afraid I don't agree. I'm almost finished building my first. I think possibly the kit is over engineered and the fuselage sub assemblies are definitely fiddly but certainly not worth binning an otherwise excellent (if complex) model. , I cannot believe we are talking about the same kit here unless you were unlucky enough to pick one of those rogue kits that crops up from time to time. Based on my experience so far, I certainly won't hesitate to add a few more to the stash. Anyone else had similar problems

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

I'm very sorry you feel that way. Granted, the fuselage assembly is complex but, a "bloody awful fit that wasn't worth any more effort"? I'm afraid I don't agree. I'm almost finished building my first. I think possibly the kit is over engineered and the fuselage sub assemblies are definitely fiddly but certainly not worth binning an otherwise excellent (if complex) model. , I cannot believe we are talking about the same kit here unless you were unlucky enough to pick one of those rogue kits that crops up from time to time. Based on my experience so far, I certainly won't hesitate to add a few more to the stash. Anyone else had similar problems

Allan

I think I got a dog one!...The problem looks like the intake trunking was too wide & thus the port intake wouldn't fit but the stbd fitted perfectly!

I stripped it down & used the cockpit & wings on the second one that went together perfectly,apart from having to shave 1/2mil of the front face of the stbd speedbrake...

I think I got a dog one!...The problem looks like the intake trunking was too wide & thus the port intake wouldn't fit but the stbd fitted perfectly!

I stripped it down & used the cockpit & wings on the second one that went together perfectly,apart from having to shave 1/2mil of the front face of the stbd speedbrake...

Sounds like it!! I do sympathise by the way!! We can both agree at least that there are fit issues with this kit. For the record, I have also binned a kit out of sheer frustration - the Airfix 1/72 TSR 2!!

Allan

• Like 2

The only thing I've found frustrating on the kit is the mechanism for the swing wings, but some of that was due to me putting the but that connects them to the fuselage backwards (duh)

Oh and the decal for the pilots panel got absolutely trashed so hand painted it.

My decal sheet was well out of register, just as well I didn't plan to use any of it!

Mine's gone together really well...Sorry Merv! Only issues were the noted issues with the radome and fin. Oh, and the navigator's CRT boxes , which are a bit undersized I think.

• Like 1

Well it's all gone together despite my best efforts to c**k it up.
I'm dreading the painting of it, I don't have an airbrush and the colour scheme has them all fading into each other.

Any ideas how to get that effect?

Well it's all gone together despite my best efforts to c**k it up.

I'm dreading the painting of it, I don't have an airbrush and the colour scheme has them all fading into each other.

Any ideas how to get that effect?

Yep,

Get some foam (like you'd see in draught excluders around a door) & cut a strip.Now get a flat ended thingy (bit of thicj spru cut at an angle should do)...

Bend the foam over the top end of the spru in a 'U' shape & tape the long legs of the foam to the spru,don't pull the foam too tight,you wan't some 'bounce' in it!

Mix your paint & paint the solid area tha color you want,then lightly dip the foam end into the maint,making sure the's not too much paint on the foam....Test dab on some card & you should see it sort of fading out & it'll give an airbrush effect.

Then do that on the edge of the color on the model.

That's how I used to 'Airbrush' without an 'Airbrush).....

Yep,

Get some foam (like you'd see in draught excluders around a door) & cut a strip.Now get a flat ended thingy (bit of thicj spru cut at an angle should do)...

Bend the foam over the top end of the spru in a 'U' shape & tape the long legs of the foam to the spru,don't pull the foam too tight,you wan't some 'bounce' in it!

Mix your paint & paint the solid area tha color you want,then lightly dip the foam end into the maint,making sure the's not too much paint on the foam....Test dab on some card & you should see it sort of fading out & it'll give an airbrush effect.

Then do that on the edge of the color on the model.

That's how I used to 'Airbrush' without an 'Airbrush).....

Elegant yet simple! :thumbsup:

I don't have an airbrush either (don't like the things!!!).I tend to use a brush cut down to a short stub and use that in similar fashion. Been doing that for years to achieve the mottled finish on WWII Luftwaffe types and, equally successful recently in providing a feathered edge (for example) on the Italian colour scheme on the Airfix BF-109G-6. Have an assortment of older round and flat brushes I use for that sort of work. Takes a bit of practice but, not difficult to get the hang of.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

Accuracy? Schmaccuracy... I really miss the days when no-one give a flying hoot about accuracy...you could buy an Esci Tornado, for example, with no detail whatsoever, build it in an hour or so, slap some paint on it (no Dark Sea Grey paint? Luckily you could pop down to Woolworths buy a pot of household gloss black, add some white, stir it with a broom stck handle, and apply it with the other end, and no-one would care.) add the out of register transfers while the paint was wet, set fire to it and lob it out of the window....all in an afternoon....bliss

And then all these JMNs /rivet counters turn up.....demand kits be a bit accurate, ask for engraved panel lines, make other modellers produce bits of resin to improve kits even further, make others buy air brushes, insist that decals are in register and adhere, and paints actually match the real shades, and have the nerve to moan when shapes are wrong, suggest how to improve models..........my god they need to get a life, instead of spoiling everyone's play-time.....

I can't read this without hearing it in a broad Yorkshire accent.

Accuracy? Schmaccuracy... I really miss the days when no-one give a flying hoot about accuracy...you could buy an Esci Tornado, for example, with no detail whatsoever, build it in an hour or so, slap some paint on it (no Dark Sea Grey paint? Luckily you could pop down to Woolworths buy a pot of household gloss black, add some white, stir it with a broom stck handle, and apply it with the other end, and no-one would care.) add the out of register transfers while the paint was wet, set fire to it and lob it out of the window....all in an afternoon....bliss

And then all these JMNs /rivet counters turn up.....demand kits be a bit accurate, ask for engraved panel lines, make other modellers produce bits of resin to improve kits even further, make others buy air brushes, insist that decals are in register and adhere, and paints actually match the real shades, and have the nerve to moan when shapes are wrong, suggest how to improve models..........my god they need to get a life, instead of spoiling everyone's play-time.....

:thumbsup::lol::lol:

That is SOOOOOOOOOO true!!!!!.

Have one of :drink: on me Bill!!

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

New Tonka from Revell isn't good ? When i read first - positive-impressions i bought it - and in real it isn't good kit ?

It's the best 1/48th scale Tornado, it's as simple as that. As with all kits there's always room for improvement if you wish.

New Tonka from Revell isn't good ? When i read first - positive-impressions i bought it - and in real it isn't good kit ?

As Bill say's,it's better than the Italiari & a thousand miles better than the HB 'attempt'!..Yes the are areas that it can be improved on,I got a dog kit that was a disaster but the second one has gone together well & so far I've used no filler on it.

It's weakness is it's over-engineered some area's,like the full intake trunking & wing sweep for the pylons, are'nt really needed,I mean on my second one I've not bothered to paint all the way down the intake trunking nor the engine blades as you simply cannot see them!

The other area is the over cluttered instructions...

Can anyone tell this Tonka-rookie whether 'hard' FOD covers were common/used, it seems my pics only show the 'fabric' covers draped? Just thinking/planning my assault on this kit - the 'fabric' covers seem easy enough to make myself from lead sheet or aluminum foil.

Can anyone tell this Tonka-rookie whether 'hard' FOD covers were common/used, it seems my pics only show the 'fabric' covers draped? Just thinking/planning my assault on this kit - the 'fabric' covers seem easy enough to make myself from lead sheet or aluminum foil.

You're probably best asking in your own topic than tagging onto a "thumb-up-bum, tongue-in-cheek" topic like this :) However, the usual seems to be fabric, but that's the end of my experise on Tornados. :shrug: