Thanks for watching Patrick.

In the meantime, small steps ahead with the build.

Transparencies were masked...then the gusight and head armor protection installed.

I had to modify the gunsight...as the lens was far too thick and of wrong shape.

Also the ventral armoured glass had received a coat of Clear Yellow (Revell), but maybe it was a better idea to discard the kit part and make a completely new one from the same stuff like the windscreen armor.

Regards,

68_zpsace96ad9.jpg69_zpsf0529b1e.jpg70_zps7e8985eb.jpg

Edited by One-Two
  • Like 2

Windscreen installed.

Also the fixed (back) part of the canopy was installed over the radio compartment.

The sliding part of the canopy is not yet glued into place.

Initially, I wanted to make this Lavochkin with the canopy closed...but now I an not so shure anymore...I'm thinking about leaving it open.

The problem is that the transparecies are far to thick to corectly represent then in open position. If posed in open position, the sliding part would sit too high over the back part of the canopy.

So, I'm thinking that maybe I will not glue the sliding part into place...just live it free in close position and when I want to see the interior I just remove it...

Have a nice weekend guys.

73_zpsff4844f1.jpg74_zps36e4b486.jpg75_zps5c80db64.jpg76_zpsc0072e67.jpg72_zps1e7d3b22.jpg71_zps8cb8ef51.jpg

• Like 3

You're doing a great job with this kit! Cockpit looks really "busy" and detailed :goodjob: As far as the canopy goes, when I did mine (Academy's kit) I had the same problem of it sitting too high when open, but posing it closed was even worse, so...

Have a look at the link in my signature, if you like, but yours is certainly coming out better then mine

Ciao

Thank you guys, glad you like it.

@sdk_uk: yes, it's a nice little kit. It has some issues, but nothing serious. If you buy the profi variant, it is better equipped in the cockpit - but even so some scratchbuilding wiill be neccesary in my opinion. I downloaded the Eduard instructions for the PE fret for this kit...which is included in the profiline offerning...and it is indeed much better than the weekend edition, but not complete. Anyway, it's a nice kit.

@giemme: thank you giemme, very interesting buld. I'm also watching with interest your latest builds.

In the meantime, I masked the model, clean it and sprayed some MM light ghost gray on the canopy frames (interior color).

Then came the primer. I used the Revell white primer for enamel...very good product.

Some minor issues were then adressed at the leading edge of the starboard wing.

Hope that soon I will be able to pt on some paint on the model..

All the best,

77_zps130f18dd.jpg78_zps4ebb0082.jpg79_zps65cace5e.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for whatching Houston.

Model painted - this is how it looks now.

As far as I read, the Dolgushin's Lavochkin was one of those late-war machines painted with a single color on topside.

Eduard instructions but also other sources I looked for are saying that for this specific machine the color should be AMT 7 for underside and AMT 11 for topside.

For the underside I used MM 2126 "russian topside (!!) blue" - and I think is really ok.

For topside, as AMT 11, I used MM 2123 "russian underside (!!) blue". Although much darker than what I used for underside, in my opinion the colour is too light for AMT 11...and not grey enough.

However, the AMT 11-12 issue is a very contested one...with various conflicting opinions...much like RLM late-war colors.

So I decided that for this project it is ok like this, but however for mai next late-war GPW projects I will definetly look for something better for AMT 11 and 12.

Next step is a coat of future and then decals.

All the best,

80_zps50440c1a.jpg81_zps206ff304.jpg85_zps514774a8.jpg82_zpsc440bd23.jpg

84_zps75660b79.jpg83_zps144ae37c.jpg86_zpse7a3ca38.jpg87_zpsbaed1076.jpg

• Like 1

For topside, as AMT 11, I used MM 2123 "russian underside (!!) blue". Although much darker than what I used for underside, in my opinion the colour is too light for AMT 11...and not grey enough.

I agree with you on this. The clear coat layers will help you getting it darker, but I'm afraid the blue-ish aspect would become even more evident. At least that's what happened to me with my Tornado built: I wanted to get a slight blue hint in my grey, but after gloss and matt coats, it came out way too blue.

Nevertheless, you're doing a great paint job :goodjob:

Ciao

Thanks for whatching Houston.

Model painted - this is how it looks now.

As far as I read, the Dolgushin's Lavochkin was one of those late-war machines painted with a single colour on topside.

Eduard instructions but also other sources I looked for are saying that for this specific machine the colour should be AMT 7 for underside and AMT 11 for topside.

For the underside I used MM 2126 "russian topside (!!) blue" - and I think is really ok.

However, the AMT 11-12 issue is a very contested one...with various conflicting opinions...much like RLM late-war colors.

So I decided that for this project it is ok like this, but however for mai next late-war GPW projects I will definetly look for something better for AMT 11 and 12.

Next step is a coat of future and then decals.

All the best,

From discussions on Sovietwarplanes, it seems that AMT-12 was applied first, then AMT-11.

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1502.0

possible AMT-12 uppers

La7-singleuppercolor176GIAPp32MBI.jpg

So, a single upper colours may well be AMT-12 or.......here's the only photo I have seen on Dolgushin's plane, possibly repainted post war in overall AMT-11

Orlov did write that right after war gray-gray scheme was changed just to AMT-11 on the top and in late 1947/early 1948 to AGT-16.

So I suspect that some b&w pix are dated wrong and show some planes after post-war repainting. This would explain appearance of some planes such as Dolgushin's La-7. Remind you that standard painting procedure for gray-gray scheme was to spray AMT-12 (darker) first and then the areas in AMT-11 according to desired pattern which, contrary to popular belief, was vastly (fully) adhered to by manufacturers.

42.jpg

The AMT-11 on the model looks too light though. AKAN paints are recommended as being the best matches for VVS colours these days.

One final point, bit late now, is that the Gavia La-7 has too narrow a rear canopy section, note the model compared to the drawings underneath.

Fix is to wedge the fuselage open and fit a new rear canopy, the Zvezda La-5FN comes with an open and closed option, so one of those could be used.

Neat build so far.

HTH

T

Thank you guys for your interest.

@Luftwaffe: the answer to your question is yes and no. :winkgrin:

Initially I wanted this build OOB with canopy closed. During the build, because I invested some scratchbuilding in the cockpit, I starterd to think about leaving the cockpit open. However, the transparecies are not allowing such an operation - the sliding part of the canopy would stand too high over the rear part of the canopy in open position.

So I opted to paint the sliding part separately and not glue it to the rest of the airframe. It wil stay closed (it's a tight fit) and if I want to see better the cockpit, then I just remove it alltoghether.

Regarding the colors, thank you so much Troy for your information.

I think that the AMT 7 is ok and qiute possible this airframe was AMT 11 on the topside.

Indeed my interpretation of AMT 11 is too light - but it was a choice because I don't have anything else close to that colour and didn't wanted to wait.

For my next GPW projects I will look far a more plausible AMT 11 (and 12) for sure.

I know about AKAN paints, but they look too dark to me - for AMT 12 especially. I saw some AKAN AMT 12 and is almost black...

I'm thinking about Gunze interpretations for AMT 11 and 12...respectively Gunze H317 and H331...anyone tried them?

Decals on.

The decals were somehow degraded...some white was present especially on the red stars.

I was afraid that this white will be visible after I put the decals and I was right.

However, this white was almost completely "cured" after a treatment with Mr. Mark Softer.

I don't know why, but besides softening the decals, Mr. Softer had a very good effect over the colors of the decals.

Now I will wait for the new coat of future to dry...and then I will proceed with some panel wash and some very restrained wear and tear, because the plane was a late-war machine and possibly pretty well maintained...

88-1_zps6db724eb.jpg

88_zps0a71a670.jpg

89_zpsfa295570.jpg90_zps6b09a99e.jpg91_zpsffaf0bde.jpg92_zpsc1b13176.jpg93_zps4b54001a.jpg

• Like 1

Top color look much better after the Future coating; still a bit on the lighter side, but definitely much better :goodjob:

Excellent job with the decals, too.

Ciao

Thank you guys for your interest.

@Luftwaffe: the answer to your question is yes and no. :winkgrin:

Initially I wanted this build OOB with canopy closed. During the build, because I invested some scratchbuilding in the cockpit, I starterd to think about leaving the cockpit open. However, the transparecies are not allowing such an operation - the sliding part of the canopy would stand too high over the rear part of the canopy in open position.

So I opted to paint the sliding part separately and not glue it to the rest of the airframe. It wil stay closed (it's a tight fit) and if I want to see better the cockpit, then I just remove it alltoghether.

Regarding the colors, thank you so much Troy for your information.

I think that the AMT 7 is ok and qiute possible this airframe was AMT 11 on the topside.

Indeed my interpretation of AMT 11 is too light - but it was a choice because I don't have anything else close to that colour and didn't wanted to wait.

For my next GPW projects I will look far a more plausible AMT 11 (and 12) for sure.

I know about AKAN paints, but they look too dark to me - for AMT 12 especially. I saw some AKAN AMT 12 and is almost black...

I'm thinking about Gunze interpretations for AMT 11 and 12...respectively Gunze H317 and H331...anyone tried them?

AMT-12 IS dark, here's the Yak-3 at Le Bourget, with the paint being sanded back. The dark grey around the star is AMT-12.

IMG_9285.jpg

http://www.pyperpote.tonsite.biz/listinmae/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=201&Itemid=118&showall=1

see

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1151.msg7941#msg7941

1943 colours were darker than what we are used to! Original colours of Musee de l'Air Yak-3 are significantly darker than those used to repaint the plane in 1970es

If you read the entire linked thread there are discussion on AMT-11 and 12, and model paints tested.

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1151.0

The AKAN paints are dark, supposed to be good match for fresh full size paint, so a bit dark for a model.

HTH

T

Hi Guys.

Small progress.

An oil wash was applied for panel lines (burnt umber).

Then a combination between black and white oils was used for the main control surfaces.

The same dark grey was used for some streakings...especially on the undersides.

I don't intend to make it more dirty...because I suspect that the aircraft was pretty new and well maintained.

Maybe I will appliy some more oil washes on the undersides....some earth colors in the areas near the wheel wells/landing gear.

Regards,

97_zps00d51f83.jpg98_zps949ebf1d.jpg99_zpsbcfe3c21.jpg100_zps102040bd.jpg101_zpsd586c25f.jpg102_zps44e21382.jpg

• Like 1

Nice weathering, very effective. :goodjob:

But are you going to leave the exhaust area as it is? Even in a well maintained AC, I would suspect you should see some traces of use and fumes.

Ciao

• Like 1

But are you going to leave the exhaust area as it is? Even in a well maintained AC, I would suspect you should see some traces of use and fumes.

Ciao

No way Giemme. I just forgot to mention that I will add some exhaust fumes.

Exaust is the next step after finishing with oils.

Thank you and regards,

• Like 1

Hi Guys.

As said, some more weadhering and exhaust staining.

The exhaust staining is black&brawn enamels heavely diluted and then airbrushed on.

My experience is quite limited and I'm not yet very happy with the colour (I think is too black) or with the dilution (the colour is too strong...I have to dilute it more for the future projects), but I think it's ok for this one.

Also some more oil weathering was done on the underside, using earth colors.

Fuel stains were added on the topside of the wings (special product from AKInteractive - I like it).

So it's over with the weathering. After very small touch-ups I will add a final semi-gloss (or matt?) protrective coat.

So much for the "clean and well-maintained" aircraft of comrade Dolgushin...but I guess I like'em dirty :guitar:

Next, I must install again that antenna mast. The antenna wire will be pretty challangeing to install also...

All the best,

103_zps6172eedd.jpg104_zpsf614fb1f.jpg106_zps695fbfb7.jpg105_zpsf4cb9d92.jpg107_zpsa65cc710.jpg108_zpsbec0e6d4.jpg109_zps8ea43439.jpg

• Like 2

Nice going with the weathering :goodjob: ! One small thing though, if I may: In the exhaust area, rather being too dark, I think it's too flat - I don't know how to exactly explain this in English - you should see streaks of fumes going according to the airflow (note: I'm taking a sort of reasoned guess here, because I haven't seen war-time pics of this AC).

Keep up the good work

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind words Guys!

Giemme, for exhaust area I used as reference a picture with a restored La 9 (same engine, similar exhaust system) and also some La7 drawings, because even b/w pictures with real La7 exhaust area are really hard to find.

The La9 picture is showing a pretty flat exhaust fumes pattern.

I thought that La 7 should be quite similar - but without that downwards trend, because on the La 7 the exhaust was not so close to the wing trailing edge.

PS: And there's one more reason....but pls don't tell to anybody else...I also wanted a more streaky exhaust pattern ...but I'm not yet the complete master of my airbrush...sshhhhh :winkgrin:

La9_zps82474f0c.jpgla7_zps8e0ef4d1.jpg

PS: And there's one more reason....but pls don't tell to anybody else...I also wanted a more streaky exhaust pattern ...but I'm not yet the complete master of my airbrush...sshhhhh :winkgrin:

LOL! :lol::lol: Ok, I won't tell anybody :whistle: Anyway, the second pic you posted shows what I was referring to; I tried a similar effect on my LA7 build and even more so on my RE2002, airbrushing first with a sort of "dirty" brown, then with a very dark grey. Didn't turn out very well on the LA7, much more to my liking on RE2002, the only thing is that with bomb and rack mounted you can't really see it even taking a picture from underneath...

Looking forward to see this comlpeted

Ciao

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

So here it is...finally finished.

Comrade Dolgushin can now fly away and kick some invaders' butt.

Thanks guys for your kind comments and advices during constructuction.

More pictures on RFI here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234971801-lavochkin-la-7-148/

110_zpsae17fc39.jpg112_zps2579b9f7.jpg114_zps000103e7.jpg116_zps3d9caecf.jpg119_zpsb294d8b1.jpg124_zps0568e9e2.jpg

Edited by One-Two
  • Like 1