1/350 Airfix HMS Trenchant, Trafalgar Class SSN

G'day People,

I managed to chuck this one together over a couple of evenings, but then it languished for about a year before I got around to painting it. The sub underwent trials of an experimental camouflage for a short time. I doubt it was on long enough to develop the sort of weathering effects I have depicted but it looked a little strange and toy like without some (to me) so I will claim artistic license!

I thought it a more appealing scheme than an all over black one in any case. I am not 100% sure the sailors uniforms are the correct colour, I just took a punt.

010_zpseca32128.jpg

009_zpsd491d397.jpg

008_zpse29105bd.jpg

006_zps6a4dfafe.jpg

005_zpsa11efbf8.jpg

004_zpscf504a9a.jpg

003_zpsb1bf5da4.jpg

002_zps2f154a13.jpg

001_zps42f9e8f4.jpg

There is an Aussie connection with HMS Trenchant. In July 1997, HMS Trenchant ran aground off the West Australian coast near Fremantle when she made contact with a sloping patch of ground at a depth of 200m. The sub eventually manged to free herself and there was no reported damage.

This was a more fortunate result than her encounter with the fishing nets of the Antares, a Scottish trawler operating out of Aberdeen on 22 November 1990. Sadly, all four crew of the Antares were lost in that encounter.

cheers,

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 17

Definitely different scheme. I like it. Where did you get the figure from? I've got some the WEM PE ones and some of the Tamiya ones too, but they lack something. Ah yes, a belly and some ribs etc.

• Like 1

Interesting colour scheme on a T Boat. If anyone really wants to drive themselves mad though try modelling HMS Tireless as she looks at paying off. I have one in my stash but not brave enough to try that!

Thanks you all for your nice comments. I actually have another T-boat to build, I was thinking Trafalgar with the original unshrouded screw arrangement, but then I found some pics of Torbay in an experimental blue scheme, so many choices!

cheers,

Pappy

I've just built my kit as HMS Torbay but I elected to go with the standard black finish, the blue scheme looks interesting though, it was intended to help make the boats less visible in shallow seas like the Persian Gulf, there was a picture on the web from the air it was actually quite effective.

• 2 years later...

Nice job Pappy - I know it's an old thread, but it deserves a little pat on the back and I missed it first time around. I like that scheme, and the little rust spots set it off :)

Brings back memories of running around Devonport dockyard trying to get hold of the grey paint, I helped to do the painting for that scheme,

they removed all the tiles from the rear of the boat before painting, the blue on the fin was repainted grey after the first trip with the scheme.

When we trialled the scheme in the North Atlantic the Helo we were working with said we stuck out like Mr Blobby's overcoat when we asked him the 

if he could see us at periscope depth. 

Very nice work well done :)

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2014 at 8:50 AM, Pappy said:

I actually have another T-boat to build, I was thinking Trafalgar with the original unshrouded screw arrangement

Do you have any info or even pictures of the original screw at all?  I would be interested in doing one like that, perhaps even as a working radio control model.

• 2 weeks later...