Munich Crisis Hawker Fury questions?

All,

Just thought I'd pose some questions here to hopefully seek some clarification on those pre-war camouflaged Hawker Furies operated by No.1 & 43 Squadrons.

Whilst searching the 'net, I found a nice range of photographs showing No.43 Squadron Furies in various A & B camouflage schemes with B&W undersurfaces.

The Ducimus Camouflage & Markings No.5 booklet also mentions that these aircraft could have also had their wheel discs, propeller spinners and in some cases ailerons?, painted in Flight colours. In a few cases some aircraft also had their underwing Port roundel overpainted in "Night" in the form of a Black disc.

By my eyes, I would have thought that "B" Flights yellow colouring would have stood out amougst the Reds & Blues of A & C flights, however in these B&W images all wheel discs seem to be of similar tones.

Just wondering if (over the last 40 or so years) has any more information about these aircraft come to light?

Ducimus Booklet link - http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/05-Gladiator-Gauntlet/Gladiator-Gauntlet-Fury-and-Demon-5-01-960

Photographs link - https://www.flickr.com/photos/16118167@N04/5175831420/in/photostream/

Cheers... Dave.

I have the Mushroom book on the Fury/Nimrod with profiles of a 43 squadron machine. Green/brown top sides, wrapping around under the nose as far back as the radiator bath, "A Flight" red wheel discs (the text in the book states that wheel discs AND prop hubs MAY have been painted in flight colours so presumably other flights added theirs) but standard prop colours (wood with aluminium tip) shown on the profile, white beneath starboard lower & upper wings with black to lower & upper port wings, fuselage & tailplane lower surfaces remained aluminium. "B" type roundels on lower wings & fuselage sides, no roundels to top wings but apparently these were added later, 43 squadron cockerel in the spear head on the fin. HTH

• Like 1

Graham,

Thanks for the reply. I do not have that particular publication, however your description is very concise. I get he picture - so to speak.

I've seen red wheel discs, however I kind of think that C flight Blue would look quite nice.

Cheers.. Dave.

By my eyes, I would have thought that "B" Flights yellow colouring would have stood out amougst the Reds & Blues of A & C flights, however in these B&W images all wheel discs seem to be of similar tones.

You might be interested in this brief note on b/w photographs I posted some time ago - I am no chemist but I believe my little research still stands its ground:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234958226-colour-interpretation-of-bw-photos/

I hope it might be of help.

Kind regards,

Flavio

Flavio,

I appreciate the photography interpretation link - many thanks.

Seems to be a bit of a lottery I suspect - in the end I'll probably go with the colour that I feel like on the day.

Cheers.. Dave

Edited by Rabbit Leader