Academy 1/72nd TBF-1 Avenger

baldmanwithsnake

Now, I know this kit is the old Frog Tarpon, but should I build it as the Tarpon or the Avenger? The kit clearly has the round observer blisters exclusive to the Tarpon, but the kits decals only provide for a USN Avenger scheme. I am loathe to spend any extra money or effort on the kit, as it was an impulse buy.

I think the Tarpon is the way I'm going to go, as filling the panel lines round the observer blisters counts as extra effort, although buying FAA decals counts as extra expense..... *sigh

any thoughts, ideas, similar dilemmas?

Xtradecal have some nice decals for US Types in Fleet Air Arm aircraft which include some nice Avengers,.....have a search on Hannants. They cost around £8 but there are other types on each sheet too, so it won`t be wasted.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, although I have now spent more than I did on the kit itself, my way forward is clear.

I bought the Xtradecal Yanks with Roundels pt2 set, which means I'll be able to use one of the other schemes for a Hellcat I have in the stash :-)

• Like 1

Thanks Tony, although I have now spent more than I did on the kit itself, my way forward is clear.

I bought the Xtradecal Yanks with Roundels pt2 set, which means I'll be able to use one of the other schemes for a Hellcat I have in the stash :-)

I've got the same kit and the same decal sheet so we might end up with the same scheme ! Lol!

Now, I know this kit is the old Frog Tarpon, but should I build it as the Tarpon or the Avenger? The kit clearly has the round observer blisters exclusive to the Tarpon, but the kits decals only provide for a USN Avenger scheme. I am loathe to spend any extra money or effort on the kit, as it was an impulse buy.

I think the Tarpon is the way I'm going to go, as filling the panel lines round the observer blisters counts as extra effort, although buying FAA decals counts as extra expense..... *sigh

any thoughts, ideas, similar dilemmas?

I have some Far East FAA decals for the Avenger/Tarpon if you're interested?

Please PM me if you want some more info.

Dave

• Like 1

I have some Far East FAA decals for the Avenger/Tarpon if you're interested?

Please PM me if you want some more info.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I would have been intetested but I've already taken the plunge with the xtradecals sheet, appreciated though :-)

Thanks Dave, I would have been intetested but I've already taken the plunge with the xtradecals sheet, appreciated though :-)

No worries. I need to sort through my stash of kits, decals and accessories at some point. Rather see stuff getting built than just taking up space. Once I've made enough posts I'll get some lists out.

Cheers

Dave