Revell 1:144 F-14A - VF-84, Cat-shot - update 10-10 - canopy help required

This is rather impressive in such a fine scale, simply extraordinary skills here, not to mention the best jet ever to grace the skies!

Nice,

Eng

I agree there's a lovely elegance and purposefulness to it.

Cracking work!

I do like 1/144 stuff

Thanks, agreed they're are some lovely 144 kits (and they're easy to store)

Unfortunately there's no more progress at the moment.

Edited by Neal

Where do you start with the decals? The neat little ones on the missiles, the warning stencils or the big bold ones so you can make jet whooshing noise and swoop the model over imaginary Zero's! The child in me won:

Like you Neal, always has to be the big un's so I can annoy 'er indoors with either jet noises or dagadagadaga sounds depending on the era of model. Great fun. :pilot::winkgrin:

• Like 1

John,

Glad it's not just me then.

Got all the kit out last night but couldn't seem to generate any enthusiasm for decalling.

So thought I'd try and actually finish something off; dark wash across the whole deck and some Tamiya pastels on the JBD, then stick it all together.

The wash has softened the tie down fixings nicely.

photo-31.jpg

I'd not been sure how to do the windows on the raised "Island", masking around the window and wipers would've been nearly impossible. In the end I spotted a trick used on small 144th scale trucks which is to use a normal lead pencil. Worked pretty well although there's still something not quite right about the island although I can't quite put my finger on it.

The fogging on the canopy seems to be just some residue from the tamiya tape, what's the best way to get it off? Water, thinners?? Any help would be great

• Like 1

I seem to be on a roll, cracked open the modelling gear and got the deck crew painted.

photo-32.jpg

At this rate I may be finished before Xmas.

They look great Neal, now if you rearrange the first four you could have them performing YMCA. :fool:

Did you get anywhere with the canopy residue? Sometimes if you use a fresh piece of tape and keep dabbing the sticky side over the area it will remove any left over glue. The only other thing I could suggest would be to try meths on a cotton bud and gently rub over the clear area, just be careful around the paint and if you have clear coated the canopy. I would seek further advice before adopting this method, the last thing you want at this stage further problems. HTH

• Like 1

John, thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go with the tape and something a bit stronger once all the decals are sealed and protected.

My tornado do came to a sticky end not so long ago so there's another team member for the deck crew. He'd been painted up as mid 90's tornado ground crew, I think I'll leave his outfit as is as it looks ok (maybe he's on detachment)

photo_zps8fd9146c.jpg

photo-170.jpg

• Like 1

Loving the work here Neal, also still love that Tonka! :)

Regarding the canopy, knowing me I'd probably fudge it right up. I have a spare Dragon canopy you can have if needed. Also Brengun sell vacform canopies too, I got a few myself. :)

Looking forward to more :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Loving the work here Neal, also still love that Tonka! :)

Regarding the canopy, knowing me I'd probably fudge it right up. I have a spare Dragon canopy you can have if needed. Also Brengun sell vacform canopies too, I got a few myself. :)

Looking forward to more :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Thanks for the generous offer, I've a couple of kits I can raid if need be I just don't really fancy cracking the current one off. I'll push on and get it finished and see whether its worth the effort to correct.

This is now a push to the finish!