F-35 possible no show at RIAT

snapper_city

I'm in no way a proponent of the F35, but with all the investment in the world, would Harriers still be flying in thirty years time? In 2044 would people be saying, if only we'd invested in F35 thirty years ago...

Or we could have invested in the F18 programme when it was offered years ago, like so many other countries and have a multi role aircraft that is going on and on and on...........................................

• Like 1

...... combined with the ugliest warship I have ever seen, even worse than a type 45 and, that is no mean achievement :lol:

Beauty is, of course, in the eye of the beholder but I don't remember "looking pretty" being a part of the spec for either project.

Perhaps you are confusing it with a Crab Requirement..... :P

PS. I'm not too keen on Type 45s either. :lol:

• Like 1

Not sure if is exactly correct/true, but a little bird told me that the latest 'issues' are down to shedding blades.

Whether they are compressor or turbine, I don't know.

:unsure:

Sorry all you F35 dislikers. From a news report I have seen it seems that the F35B will be coming to the UK after all. The report indicates that the engine problems refer to the F35A, and not the F35B which has a different engine.

John

Just copied from airtatto.com:

"TIME RUNS OUT FOR F-35B AT AIR TATTOO

Published: 10 Jul 2014

Despite everyone's best endeavours, it has now been decided that the Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II will not fly at the Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) 2014 as all of the aircraft currently remain grounded.

Air Tattoo Chief Executive Tim Prince said the decision was a great disappointment given the amount of planning that had gone into bringing the aircraft over to RIAT for its international display debut.

He said: "It's not unusual for there to be delays in the development programme of any new military aircraft, and the Air Tattoo has been working closely with teams from Lockheed Martin, the US Marine Corps, Department of Defence and MoD to ensure the aircraft touched down at RAF Fairford for the Air Tattoo. Unfortunately we've simply run out of time."

An MoD spokesman said "The safety of pilots and aircraft has to be our priority. Of course, it is disappointing that the Lightning II has not arrived in the UK in time for the Air Tattoo but we fully support the decision not to grant clearance for the aircraft to make their first transatlantic flight to the UK until the technical investigations following an engine failure are complete."

Mr Prince added: "We fully understand and support the decision as safety of pilots and aircraft has to be paramount.

"Fortunately, the F-35B is only one of more than 200 exciting aircraft representing 33 air arms from 27 countries around the globe that will be taking part in RIAT 2014, which begins tomorrow (Friday, July 11). We are looking forward to staging the UK's biggest celebrations marking the RAF Red Arrows 50th display season at the world's largest military airshow."

I might be the only one who is disappointed judging by this thread.... :crying:

Just copied from airtatto.com:

I might be the only one who is disappointed judging by this thread.... :crying:

No, there's two of us at least. We'll just have to get on with enjoying everything else that's there!

Steve.

Cant say i'm not disappointed, as much as i'm not the biggest f35 fan i do enjoy seeing something new. Then again, i was more disappointed NATO pulled its E3

The lure of the a7 and su22's have MORE than wet the appetite though!

Good job i've got Farnborough tickets too, fingers crossed for that!

Edited by JohnHull

I am gutted I won't be able to photograph it, but it wasn't the highlight for me, it's all about the rare, last types for me this year, the Greek Sluff's, Su-22's, Italian Tornado display & Piaggo P-166! Plus a few more.

There is a chance that they will be there for RIAT but will not be able to display. LM and Lt Gen Bogar were not aware of the RIAT statement and think they can still make it for Saturday

How about two Su-22s, Steve?

How about three! (One spare)

Hope they park them South side, but I suspect not, with all the emphasis on the Reds and other teams this year. I plan to make the most of it whatever happens. Might get a bit wet Sunday, but also the possibility of nice moody skies in the background of some pics.

Steve.

What makes my blood boil is we had a perfectly good aircraft industry.This was more than capable of producing a home grown alternative yet we insist on buying American.(I have deleted the rest of this sentence as it contains extremely obscene language )

What a jolly good idea lets put JCB's through our Nimrods and by Rivet Joints and how about flogging our Harriers to the Yanks they love them.

Going back a few decades I seem to remember the Canberra was a success over the pond .T-45 Goshawk comes to mind as well

Rant over I am now going to take my pills and have a lie down!!!!

• Like 2

How about three! (One spare)

Hope they park them South side, but I suspect not, with all the emphasis on the Reds and other teams this year. I plan to make the most of it whatever happens. Might get a bit wet Sunday, but also the possibility of nice moody skies in the background of some pics.

Steve.

Ooh, I hadn't realised that Steve! I'm in my hotel room preparing to venture to Fairford for the Reds Pit Day. I notice that not all of the 10,000 tickets for today have sold, but Saturday is sold out.

I for one, can't wait!

The trouble with the F-35 is that it's gone so far down the line and the US, UK and other nations have invested so heavily in it, both politically and financially, at the sake of a viable alternative, that it just can't be allowed to fail. Like it or lump it, it will enter service, with all the limitations that that may or may not bring.

Graham

It's also the jobs here in the UK that are producing equipment for it, I for one work on such a contract so I don't think replacing it is an option. :deadhorse:

Graham

Edited by Graham

Now a no-show at Farnborough too........

And to think we could have got a couple 'o hundred Super Hornets and CATOBAR on both carriers for the money that has been tossed down the drain on this pile of junk...

Edited by alpine_modeller
  • Like 2

Now a no-show at Farnborough too........

And to think we could have got a couple 'o hundred Super Hornets and CATOBAR on both carriers for the money that has been tossed down the drain on this pile of junk...

There aren't enough people in RN/FAA to sustain CATOBAR ops on one carrier never mind two. Or enough money to expand the RN/FAA to the requisite size. So it's STOVL and hence F-35B or nothing.

showed this thread to a French colleague of mine. His response; ".. are you guys nuts? that thing is supersonic without re-heat...." etc etc ...I haven't a clue, better read that nice new Flypast/Key F-35 'special' currently on the news stands and educate myself. Gotta move on from Harrier I guess...

Edited by FalkeEins

Sorry if I sound pedantic here but is it not the ENGINE that is the problem here not the actual aircraft ....so I would of thought that slagging off the whole F35 project is a bit of an exaggeration.

Before you start on me Im not the greatest of admirer of the thing myself but Ive also had a similar experinece to what FalkeEins has had.....I quote .."What you are getting is going to be top of the pile for the next 15-20 years ...whats your problem ! "

Anyone remember a certain swing wing aircraft getting the same abuse during development ....Must Replace Canberra Again , Multi Ridiculous Crappy Abomination...etc etc etc .

Today its called Tornado ......on the 14th August it will be 40 years of age.

Just a thought.

Andy

• Like 3

Sorry if I sound pedantic here but is it not the ENGINE that is the problem here not the actual aircraft ....so I would of thought that slagging off the whole F35 project is a bit of an exaggeration.

Before you start on me Im not the greatest of admirer of the thing myself but Ive also had a similar experinece to what FalkeEins has had.....I quote .."What you are getting is going to be top of the pile for the next 15-20 years ...whats your problem ! "

Anyone remember a certain swing wing aircraft getting the same abuse during development ....Must Replace Canberra Again , Multi Ridiculous Crappy Abomination...etc etc etc .

Today its called Tornado ......on the 14th August it will be 40 years of age.

Just a thought.

Andy

I thought that is was Must Respar/Refurbish Canberra Again. Another was Mother Reillys Cardboard Aircraft.

The trouble with the F-35 is that it's gone so far down the line and the US, UK and other nations have invested so heavily in it, both politically and financially, at the sake of a viable alternative, that it just can't be allowed to fail. Like it or lump it, it will enter service, with all the limitations that that may or may not bring.

Graham

All i will say is Nimrod MRA.4 :-)

Nothing is too big to fail.

The problem now is how much will an individual airframe cost? As the orders fall off, the aircraft will become unaffordable.

Edited by Shar2
You say you're not being political, then promptly go on to be just that. Complete with a dose of sexism