F-35 possible no show at RIAT

snapper_city

I think it's a given that they WON'T be flying at RIAT as their flypast for the launch of the new Navy carrier ' HMS Queen Elizabeth' schedualed for today has also been cancelled for the same reason -i.e. the reported engine fire issues.

Gary

That would be quite a spectacle, three burning F35's flying low over Rosyth! I know they are named after the P38 Lightning but I find it quite fitting that they are keeping the (EE) Lightning engine fire tradition alive too!

Duncan B

• Like 2

Isn't that one very large Airfix kit? I'm assuming that Flankerman is very well aware of this, though...

Must have been the Hasegawa one parked on the ramp of the new carrier - much more detail and even more expensive - true to scale - just like the real thingy.

Dennis

• Like 1

It OBVIOUSLY isn't the Hasegawa version...it doesn't have the yellow price sticker on the side....the one that that you glance at quickly, then have to do a double-take as you're convinced you mis-read it the first time!

• Like 2

Ironically the reason they aren't already over here in the UK is the MOD dragged its feet in clearing BK-3 (the British F-35) to fly to Pax River in the US to join the 3 USMC F-35B's following the fire at Eglin, If they had given the authorisation earlier the 4 jets would probably already be over here and while they would be grounded and subject to the same air worthiness directives at least they would be here.

also FWIW as i understand it the F-35's will all be airside at RIAT and will be flying at Farnborough from Fairford so there wont be much chance to see them other than during the display itself

That's not real Wheres the panel lines?? Whats he looking for??

He's checking to see if there full length seamless intakes?!

• Like 1

sounds good to me. They can set fire to the rest for all I care.

:lol: I have zero interest in this type so it's no great loss as far as I'm personally concerned. Just another dull, boring grey clone. Overdue,over budget,over priced & overweight , it's now over cooked & not even over here!!. Maybe now they'll have space in the flying for the Vulcan? :P .

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 2

sounds good to me. They can set fire to the rest for all I care.

:lol: My sentiments exactly!!. Mind you they seem perfectly matched with their host ship. a butt ugly aeroplane (that doesn't seem to work very well) combined with the ugliest warship I have ever seen, even worse than a type 45 and, that is no mean achievement :lol:

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 2

Call me cynical, but the money spent on the F35 could easily have been invested in the Harrier. Keeping a world class, war winning British invention at the forefront of world aviation.

I'll be over here, still seething & simmering.

• Like 1

Call me cynical, but the money spent on the F35 could easily have been invested in the Harrier. Keeping a world class, war winning British invention at the forefront of world aviation.

Very hard to disagree with that. At least you aren't simmering like the F-35..I also have very strong views regarding the purchase of this wretched aeroplane and it's carrier but,there are no politics allowed here...........................!!! :angrysoapbox.sml:

Allan ;)

ps - enjoy the show anyway!!

I'm in no way a proponent of the F35, but with all the investment in the world, would Harriers still be flying in thirty years time? In 2044 would people be saying, if only we'd invested in F35 thirty years ago...

• Like 1

I wouldn't be happy if it cancelled, but not the end of the world either. The SU-22s would be 'toys out of the pram ' time.

Plenty of years to see the Lightning.

Steve.

• Like 1