sean

Cheers fellas, 5 and 6 are on their feet and ready for paint:

19a6b422-2711-4fee-8a43-a5a9d03287d6_zps

Ahhhhh...........Sharkmouths, where would we be without them, pain and pleasure in equal measures.

The ones from Eagle Strike are really for the Hase and Revell kits, and so need a bit of extra coaxing to fit,

plus copious amounts of Micro set, to fit the Academy Mustang,but seem to have settled alright.

While the D has already been allocated for an Israeli plane, for the B/C, there is a choice for a Chinese plane

in OD and Grey that appeals to me, but I'll have to go through the spares for serial numers,( I have national

markings already), as the Academy ones are very thick, We'll see anyway,

By the way, what is it with the undercarriage legs on the Airfix D's, I don't remember them being so bendy on the real planes!!

Regards

Sean

Edited by sean
  • Like 2

Cant wait to see them all finished together, ll be pretty cool flight :)

As for the gear legs in Airfix kit - yes, thats the only thing i do not like on the airfix kit.. The kit overall is absolutely and truly amazing and when you take into count its price, its seriously mindblowing how great value this kit has. However, out of the 5 kits i have/had at stash, FOUR of them had the bended (bent? huh, sorry :D ) legs and also slightly "banana shaped" fuselage + not exactly clean details around cowling. The banana fuselage is no problem with a bit of CA glue and brute force, details around cowling (and on bottom side of right wing) can be re-shaped using basic tools, thats no problem, but the legs... I use hot water to narrow these back to straight lines, but on the Sweet Arlene, after few days, the legs are again slightly off... :(

I guess the kit form might be slightly damaged or they were taking the parts out of the forms too fast, i dont have a clue how does it work. But its the only downside on the kit and even like that, all the details are way better than any other Mustang 1/72 all around. And big plus are the wheel wells :)

• Like 2

Cant wait to see them all finished together, ll be pretty cool flight :)

As for the gear legs in Airfix kit - yes, thats the only thing i do not like on the airfix kit.. The kit overall is absolutely and truly amazing and when you take into count its price, its seriously mindblowing how great value this kit has. However, out of the 5 kits i have/had at stash, FOUR of them had the bended (bent? huh, sorry :D ) legs and also slightly "banana shaped" fuselage + not exactly clean details around cowling. The banana fuselage is no problem with a bit of CA glue and brute force, details around cowling (and on bottom side of right wing) can be re-shaped using basic tools, thats no problem, but the legs... I use hot water to narrow these back to straight lines, but on the Sweet Arlene, after few days, the legs are again slightly off... :(

I guess the kit form might be slightly damaged or they were taking the parts out of the forms too fast, i dont have a clue how does it work. But its the only downside on the kit and even like that, all the details are way better than any other Mustang 1/72 all around. And big plus are the wheel wells :)

I hear you, I've had this issue on three out of the five I've procured. Here is the newest one out of the box:

IMG_7052s_zps17abf919.jpg

The problem I've had with straightening them is that the pegs for mounting the door are then out of alignment.

• Like 1

I do not have problems with the pegs for the doors, because i m usualy adding wire (as the hose leading to the breaks i think) and it is going between the legg and the doors. So i have to cut out the "peg" from the doors, so i m mounting the doors only on the two "pegs" which are on the leg, no third fixed point for it so it is fine :)

Wolwe, the legs are far worse on the 2nd kit for some reason, I'll probably have to superglue them to the

undercarriage doors to keep them straight-ish. Plus what's the reason for the canopy? I can't get mine to stay together

without loads of clearfix, and now it's on the clear bit :frantic:

Anyway, here is the state of play as of now.

The Israeli plane is ready for gloss and decals- The 112Sq plane just needs the inside of the canopy openings done with

interior green- The SAAF is just waiting for it's napalm tanks, a late addition,- And the Chinese plane has a first coat

applied. So, tiddling along nicely.

DSCF3882_zps1a588ac0.jpg?t=1408634777

A view of the Mustangs in the "hangar" while paint or varnish dries. a valuable purchase from Tesco.

DSCF3883_zps870355de.jpg?t=1408721051

Regards

Sean

• Like 3

Cheers fellas.

Yes, those legs are a major pain, no matter what I've done to straighten them, they still end up misshapen, super glueing them to the

undercarriage doors might be the only way to get them straight, or else make them in-flight.

Anyhow....the 112 Sq plane is finished:

1121_zps57f76034.jpg?t=1409071285

Photographed against my new background, I got fed up looking at white paper all the time.

I must admit, I do like the Academy Mustangs, nice detail, go together very well, and to my eye, look the part.

The Airfix -Ds on the other hand, well I'm not such a fan, dodgy undecarriage legs, the way the canopy has to be

put together, and the fuel tanks leave me cold as well. Which didn't help with the SAAF Mustang, which has

driven me nuts. Just when I thought I had it sorted and was taking photos for the gallery, I noticed something

missing:

SAAF3_zps62ab2f4e.jpg?t=1408989690

The title has come off somehow, and Lord knows where it is now, I hate this kit!!

So this is finished as well, basically because I'm fed up with it.

Regarding the other 2 kits, the Chinese one has got it's 2nd coat on now, and should leave it and the Israeli D ready for

gloss and decals,

Regards

Sean

• Like 4

nice work on both of them Sean, realy nice :) the legs are turning back to original shape slowly for me too, i just had to gently bend them, it almost broke but lucky for me it did not fully. Liquid tamiya glue also can help, as it softens the plastic, but carefuly with it as it can "eat" the details

• Like 1

Hi Sean. Just been looking at these in the gallery. They look really good. Well done. With regards the name decal, if it were mine, it would probably be stuck to the mug I drink tea from while kit building by now.

• Like 2

very nice! ...I still think the Airfix Mustang D shades the Academy B/C as best 1:72nd 'Stang although the Hasegawa B/C goes together nicely enough. I've vowed never to build another Italeri 72nd P-51 !

• Like 1

Hi Sean. Just been looking at these in the gallery. They look really good. Well done. With regards the name decal, if it were mine, it would probably be stuck to the mug I drink tea from while kit building by now.

Cheers Stix, knowing me, mine probably ended up in the tea and I drank it!!

very nice! ...I still think the Airfix Mustang D shades the Academy B/C as best 1:72nd 'Stang although the Hasegawa B/C goes together nicely enough. I've vowed never to build another Italeri 72nd P-51

Cheers FalkeEins, totally agree with you on the Italeri P-51, it's a bit too fussy the way it has to be constructed

Some good looking Mustangs there.

Cheers Cookie, glad you like them,

Regards,

Sean

• Like 1

Cheers Rich, here's another finished Mustang. Done as a Chinese P-51C, though where or when

Academy doesn't say.

CH3_zps6f54b795.jpg?t=1409864829

So, that just leaves one to go, the Airfix P-51D, which is now ready for gloss and decals. Going

to Portrush for the airshow, so it wll be sometime next week before it's finished. Now, as I build

OOB pretty much all the time,and as this was included ,the Academy Light Utility

Vehicle,(or a jeep to the rest of us), which of course comes in the box as well as a P-51.

DSCF3973_zps3cc5e5b4.jpg?t=1409950663

Anyway, the decals for the Mustang, I did set out to use the ones from the box, but the Chinese

roundels had a white outline around half the outside, so I used some from a Flying Tigers set, which

luckily were the same size. All other decals came from the kit and were smothered on with copious

amounts of Glosscote, before being toned down with Mattecote. I'm glad I chose to do the Chinese

option as it's not one I had before now, and it's something different to look at amongst the other

P-51's,

Regards

Sean

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Les, Stix, an update:

Unfortunately I've had a bit of a mishap. The wheel fell off, and it wasn't even the wonky one, it was the good one.

Nevermind, it'll be fixed easy enough with a touch of super glue. So you'll notice something different to the rest of

the builds in this thread....weathering!

DSCF3985_zps6a9c5785.jpg?t=1411157127

Basically, it was a case of just putting on the Mattecote, when the wheel fell off as soon as it touched the bench, so I said to myself

bugger, (or something similar), and got out the weathering stuff I had bought and never used. Now was as good as time as any to bite

the bullet and try them out. I used Humbrol Smoke powder first, applied with a touch of Klear. I wasn't too fussed on how it looked, too

thick and too heavy looking, so I went over it with Humbrol Sand wash, a stiff brush to take some off, and I'm fairly pleased how it worked out.

For the chips on the props and the cowling, I used Citadel Chainmail (Silver), applied with a brush from the Airfix gift sets that had a single

piece of brush hair sticking out. You're thoughts would be welcome on the result, as it's not something I do.

DSCF3987_zps489d8ebb.jpg?t=1411157002

DSCF3989_zps22f0e4e4.jpg?t=1411156842

DSCF3990_zpsd776882b.jpg?t=1411156719

That just leaves a top coat of varnish to seal everything in, and that will be another one finished,

Regards,

Sean

ps, sorry for the crappy photos!!

• Like 4

Cheers Wolwe, Stix., Mustang Mania has come to an end, and here are the final pics:

Mustangs001_zps67ce769a.jpg?t=1412016702

The first,(and quite possibly the last) time I've tried some weathering, apart from the odd exhaust stain. It's something I

find very hard to do to a nice shiny paint job, although certain aspects of this were quite pleasing, mainly the chipping on

the blades and cowling. I also found that Klear is great for sticking the canopy together and will go back to the other

Airfix Mustang and change the clear piece.

Overall, I've enjoyed taking part in the GB, as I had done this last year with the Spitfires last year, and found it a great way

to get some kits built,(although, I had 3 Spits to start, actually built 5, and still have 4 in the stash, wt... :mental: ).

There are no more Mustangs in the stash,(so far)

So here we are, all the Mustangs together:

Mustangs022_zps7c4bac37.jpg?t=1412016283

Thanks to all who followed this wip, brave souls that you are,

Regards

Sean

• Like 6

Wow thats great, i did not noticed you did build all of these! I noticed every single of them in the gallery, but somehow did not join them all together ! :) Thats some nice collection Sean. I like the metal finish you achieved there :)

• Like 1