Airfix Bf 109G6

Nigel Bunker

I see Airfix have re-issued this kit. Does anybody know if they have corrected the bulges on the nose, making two separate ones rather than the saddle on the earlier 2009 issue?

I've built this kit and it looks very toy like, bit like a diecast thing. The details are very simplistic and the panel lines very deep. You'd be better off spending £1 or £2 more and getting an AZ Models Bf109G. They're more difficult to build but you get a much more lifelike model as a result. I've not long finished the AZ Bf109G-1.

thanks

Mike

Best - but not ideal - is new AZ model series... With late and early Gustav...Academy isn't good. IMHO best Bf 109 in 1/72:

Emil-Airfix

Fridrich - Zvezda

Gustav - AZ and FineMolds (Soooo teuer...- very expensive)

Late Gustav - Revell...

Academy when i read isn't ideal... AZ is better choice.

Best - but not ideal - is new AZ model series... With late and early Gustav...Academy isn't good. IMHO best Bf 109 in 1/72:

Emil-Airfix

Fridrich - Zvezda

Gustav - AZ and FineMolds (Soooo teuer...- very expensive)

Late Gustav - Revell...

Academy when i read isn't ideal... AZ is better choice.

I'd forget about the Revell and go for AML or Finemolds for the K-4, in fact I'd for F through to K with Finemold.

Duncan B

Certainly avoid the Revell: the undercarriage is in the wrong place and the prop undersized. I'm told the AZ is a bit undersized in the nose, but this (in one form or another) is a common problem with Bf109 kits and doesn't seem to bother many modellers. The only Fine Molds one I have is the G-10 and I'm impressed.

We used to stock the Fine Molds 109's (I've a few in my stash as well!) but the UK importer stopped importing them, so they are hard to find 'new' over here. So if you wanted them, you'd have to order them from HLJ and hope they don't end up with the horrible customs/VAT charges when they get over here! As an overall product, I still think the Fine Molds 109's are the best but if you don't want to spend a lot of money on them, buy the AZ models kits, some of them are very affordable, the only issue for me with the AZ kits, is they aren't the best to build.

thanks

Mike

Please run away from the AML 109K-4 !!

According to my experience when I build it,it was absolutely a nightmare.

Had to carve cockpit side walls almost see-trough and had to sand the resin parts also smaller etc,very much flash on the parts and thick sprue gates.

I do admit that when ready it sure looks nice..........

And You get good decals what ever boxing You get.

Please do not forget the good & old Heller K-4!!

Of course FineMolds K-4 is a stunner as well as its price.............

Just my opinion that I wanted to share.

Teemu H

• Like 2

Hi Teemu

Yes the AML kit takes a bit of modelling to get the best out of it if you use all the resin and etched parts included in the kit but it does make into a nice kit. The Heller kit also takes a lot of modelling to get it up to the same standard due to it's age.

I was lucky/crazy enough to buy a whole heap of the various Finemold releases when they were readily available so don't have to worry about availability now but I've also got most other Manufacturer's kits of 1/72 scale 109's in the stash too so have the good, the bad and the ugly in the stash! One day I should get all the boxes out and photograph them all just for the fun of it.

Duncan B

The Heller K requires a replacement propeller as it goes the wrong way round. The nose also lacks the true asymmetry of the refined bulge. It was a truly superb model when it came out: I was on the last day of a holiday in Paris and managed to track down a shop that could get me one from Heller tomorrow... Then the new box appeared in the UK with the awful old K inside. You had to look for examples of the new box with the swastika blotted out to get genuine French stock of the new one.

There's also a K by Amodel, which is really a copy of a Heller K but with recessed panel lines, a corrected prop and a nicer and slightly better detailed undercarriage.

The original Heller K is closer to a G-6/U-2 or a G-14. I've a part assembled one somewhere.

• 1 month later...

I have built one Amodel 109K and I liked it.

Been trying to hunt 1 or two kits more but with no luck.