Scratch-built 1/350 HMS Queen Elizabeth

On 07/07/2014 at 0:27 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Lovely clean build Dave! B)

Still think putting F-35s on it may be a tad optimistic though! :wicked:

Thanks Andy. You still like having a dig about those F-35s don't you? :P

On 07/07/2014 at 5:59 PM, Benbow said:

Thanks for reply Dave,fully understand. I know some people involved in the design process so might be able to give them a shout. Considering its size what method/materials did you use for the construction of such a fantastic model? Ben

Ben, it was bit of a kit bash. I thought that a kit made entirely from plastic card might not be strong enough, so I cut and shut a Tamiya 1/350 USS Enterprise hull and clad it in plastic card. I did add braces across the hull made from balsa wood later on in the build and these also supported the flight deck which was made from plastic card:

Queen_Elizabeth_350_006.JPG

Then I clad the hull in plastic card and added the sponsons:

Queen_Elizabeth_350_022.JPG

Islands were also built from plastic card:

Queen_Elizabeth_350_034.JPG

As were the walkways:

Queen_Elizabeth_350_056.JPG

Ski jump was a modified Airfix HMS Illustrious one:

Queen_Elizabeth_350_042.JPG

On 07/07/2014 at 6:12 PM, Rickpadwick1801 said:

Nice job Dave, I saw this on facebook the other day.

I still want one of these for my collection.

Rick

Thanks, Rick. :D

Dave

• Like 2

Very nice model

However........... 1/350 Leander’s, Type 21’s, Type 22’s and a County class GMD or two please Mr Airfix before you expend any effort on a kit of this ugly monster, yet to see if it floats, not really a ship yet!

She looks great Dave, very nicely done. I thought Illustrious was big in 1/350 but HMS Queen Elizabeth is ginormous! I would struggle to put it anywhere for display.

Thanks for showing the finish and some of the in progress work.

Kind regards, from one amazed Ray

Thanks Andy. You still like having a dig about those F-35s don't you? :P

As I and almost everybody else I know will be paying for the damned shonky things until the universe implodes, yeah, I figure I have a stake there! :D

As long as you don't shoot the messenger.....!

For size comparison, here are three pictures of her alongside the Airfix 1/350 HMS Daring:

Queen_Elizabeth_350_085.JPG

Queen_Elizabeth_350_086.JPG

Queen_Elizabeth_350_087.JPG

Dave

• Like 2

Love the model Dave, well done on getting the build done in time for the launch as its not easy trying to scratch build to such a short and important deadline. What did you use for the F-35B ?

BTW don't forget Dave did this with Airfix so if you want it to appear as a model push Airfix !!!

The twin Islane design stems form having gas turbine propulsion, it would have mean either a long island like the Invincibles with deck edge lifts forward and aft or the split islands with the deck lifts aft of each Island which has proved to be more benefical.

Thanks Geoff.

Due to the tight schedule I had to cheat with the F-35s and used Orange Hobby F-35Cs in the hope nobody would notice - some people have though!

Dave

• Like 1

That pic from above with the Airfix Daring really brings it home how big she is; look at a Type 45 in real life and you suddenly see how big they are.

Even a Crab might be able to land on that...

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Goggsy.

Sorry, but I had no part in the building of the full-scale F-35 on the ramp. My one got stuck on my modelling desk because I couldn't get it down my cottage stairs.

Dave

• 6 months later...

I had no part in the building of the full-scale F-35 on the ramp. My one got stuck on my modelling desk because I couldn't get it down my cottage stairs.

Dave

Dave, I know Airfix was a part of your commissioning of this 1/350 scale model. BTW, VERY well done! Thanks for sharing.

http://www.airfix.com/us-en/news/airfix-unveil-specially-commissioned-queen-elizabeth-aircraft-carrier-model/

My question is this (and I am sure you've probably heard it before) , does Airfix plan on putting out a 1/350 scale kit?

Along the lines of what they did for the lusty? (Which btw, I have built - http://www.jeffhead.com/modelbuilds/UK-R06.htm, along with every other modern 1.350 scale aircraft carrier I can get my hands on).

Is Airfix planning a kit?

I am absolutely positive that they would roll off the shelves if they did. Besides myself I personally know dozens of modelers here in the states who would buy them 1st thing.

Edited by Jeff Head
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

For me, there's no words to describe just how well you've put this model together, and from scratch as well, oh if only Airfix would get themselves sorted out and release this in 1/350 kit form, clearly they don't need the money, they would make a fortune, look at the new 1/350 Ark Royal, I've got the Kit, and I have to say, I really am impressed with it

• Like 1