Scratch-built 1/350 HMS Queen Elizabeth

My 1/350 scale scratch-build of the new Royal Navy aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth, currently building in Rosyth Dockyard. The model was built for the Royal Navy and will be on display at the naming ceremony on Friday, 4th July:
Queen_Elizabeth_350_120.JPG

Queen_Elizabeth_350_121.JPG

Queen_Elizabeth_350_122.JPG

Queen_Elizabeth_350_123.JPG

Queen_Elizabeth_350_126.JPG

Queen_Elizabeth_350_127.JPG

Queen_Elizabeth_350_128.JPG

Queen_Elizabeth_350_130.JPG

Queen_Elizabeth_350_132.JPG

Queen_Elizabeth_350_125.JPG

This picture gives you a good idea of the size of this build! Outside the building are the bows of the real thing:
Queen_Elizabeth_350_143.JPG

And here are the bows of the real thing with a 1:1 model of an F-35B on the ski-jump, all spruced up and ready for HM the Queen to name this Friday, 4th July:
Queen_Elizabeth_350_147.JPG

Dave

• Like 28

Thanks for putting this on BM its only when you see the aircraft on deck that you see the size of the vessel. Nice job that you've done with the model.I would also like one Mr Airfix, next years releases please ?

Living in Fife its been brilliant to watch the 1:1 build at Rosyth,HMS Illustrious looks small beside QE,great model,hope a 1/700 comes out soon also.

Looks like a great model of the new carrier you have built there! I like the compliment of aircraft and helicopters too :goodjob:

I must say that I think our new carrier looks way better than the American new counterpart - we beat them on the design front this time! :fight:

Well working where you do I bet the detail is correct! Excellent work congratulations!

Thanks Paul, I don't work for the builders or the Royal Navy. In fact, I retired from work years ago and I was only in Rosyth Dockyard to hand over the model to the Navy. However, I did have assistance from the shipbuilders during the build.

Dave

Love scratch built models especially ships, takes a lot of effort to achieve results like this. While we are on the subject of the new carrierI must ask why two islands? Most only have one

Dave you retired from work years ago? you are wearing well by your picture then! :lol:

I retired in 2001 aged 42 and been a man of leisure ever since!

Dave, may I ask what plans/drawings you worked from to scratchbuild this?? Despite many searches I still haven't found any good plans to work from. Ben

Ben, as it was a commission for the Royal Navy, I was given permission by them to liaise with Babcock International, the shipbuilders who as well as building many of the modules is doing the final assembly in their dockyard in Rosyth. They were brilliant and gave me as much information as necessary to complete the build. For example I would email them asking the location of all the watertight doors and next day I would have the information. Unfortunately for other modellers, I cannot pass on the drawings etc for their use due to copyright or confidentiality reasons, which is a shame.

While we are on the subject of the new carrierI must ask why two islands? Most only have one

I think the reason why the island was split was because they couldn't fit it all in front or behind the forward aircraft lift. I must admit to not liking the design originally but it does grow on you in time....

Dave

Edited by davecov

Thanks for reply Dave,fully understand. I know some people involved in the design process so might be able to give them a shout. Considering its size what method/materials did you use for the construction of such a fantastic model? Ben