1/72 scale Supermarine Stranraer

Marags, as all the other posters have said, you have created an awesome model and an extremely impressive diorama - certainly better than I've ever produced! Accepting that this is something that I haven't (yet!) tried myself, can I offer a suggestion? The Stranraer is superbly weathered, but it looks bone dry; any flying boat dealing with those waves would have water splashed all down its flanks, and this would probably give the appearance of darkening the camouflage where it is wet as well as appearing more glossy. It would further complicate an already-complex paint job, but it's an effect that I've often considered when I've looked at dioramas incorporating water.

Jon

Dear Jon,

Thanks for the high praise! I also agree that it does look a bit dry. I'll splash a little satin or gloss varnish on it to simulate water.

Thanks for the great suggestion,

Kindest regards,

Marags

When matt paint gets wet it also appears darker, so it might not be as simple as applying gloss varnish. Perhaps thinned Tamiya smoke might give a suitable effect, or gloss varnish with just a hint of 'darkener', or maybe even Klear with something to darken it. It would definitely be worth experimenting first! It's something that I've often considered but never got round to trying, so I must emphasise that my suggestions carry neither experience nor authority! Perhaps I'll get myself a flying boat kit one day, and put my money where my mouth is...

Jon

When matt paint gets wet it also appears darker, so it might not be as simple as applying gloss varnish. Perhaps thinned Tamiya smoke might give a suitable effect, or gloss varnish with just a hint of 'darkener', or maybe even Klear with something to darken it. It would definitely be worth experimenting first! It's something that I've often considered but never got round to trying, so I must emphasise that my suggestions carry neither experience nor authority! Perhaps I'll get myself a flying boat kit one day, and put my money where my mouth is...

Jon

They are excellent suggestions Jon. I'll have to try Tamiya Smoke. Indeed, I'de love to wean myself off enamels all together and try full time acrylics.

Good luck with your future flying boat and keep me posted on how you get on.

Kindest regards,

Marags

• 2 weeks later...