XF-89 Scorpion Prototype in 1/72 scale

Having just got into Scorpions - the Norhrop F-89 variety - I thought I'd have a go at making the XF-89 prototype using the Hobbycraft F-89B.

The first area of difference concerns the fuselage above and below the jetpipe - the XF-89 did not have the fairings to divert the hot exhaust gases - so the fuselage needs to be modified.

The hatched area show what needs to be removed....

Scorpion_014.jpg

I have filled the insides with Milliput - in case I break through the plastic when rubbing down.....

Scorpion_015.jpg

This is all being worked out as I go along - using a scaled-up drawing from the Aerofax book - bodging and filling.

The area of the 'wake fairing' is quite substantial - both above and below the wing root at the rear - and as I started to rub down, the Milliput came off.

So I have added a plastic card 'keel' to establish the lower contours and a couple of bulkheads to give the shape...

Scorpion_016.jpg

Scorpion_017.jpg

I now need to source a jetpipe fairing - it is quite curved on the XF-89.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

I have started to add thin strips of plastic card to fill in the rear hole - rather like a clinker-built boat.....

Scorpion_018.jpg

I have also filled in the front intake aperture - the intakes on the XF-89 are different....

Scorpion_019.jpg

Trying to get things filled in when the under tray is not fixed in place yet is difficult - but I'm getting there.

I realised that I also need to cut off the rear of the engine nacelles to fit narrower, more conical, exhausts.

The rear of the engine nacelle is totally different to the kit - so I have had to remove the last inch or so and fit bulkheads...

Scorpion_020.jpg

.... all a bit 'slash and burn' as I go along - and all done by eye - no subtlety here.

I found a plastic knitting needle of approx the right diameter - so cut off the end and sanded it to a more curved shape...

Scorpion_021.jpg

.... a trial fit shows it to be reasonably correct....

Scorpion_022.jpg

The kits lower fuselage insert has to be cut down accordingly....

Scorpion_023.jpg

All I need to do now is glue everything in place - and fill in the holes with plastic card..

The exhausts have been reamed out and a suitable piece of brass tube fitted to improve the look...

Scorpion_024.jpg

A bit more sanding required to get a smoother curve - but its coming along...

Then I have to do the other side, then the intakes, then the nose, then the bullet fairing, then the cockpit, then the canopy..... BANGHEAD2.jpg

Ken

• Like 1

The jetpipe is fitted - note the difference in the lower fuselage shape between the port and starboard fuselage halves...

Scorpion_025.jpg

Making a start on the starboard fuselage - compared to the original at top...

Scorpion_026.jpg

For the new, shorter nose, I cut side and plan profiles from thick plastic card - to establish the shape.... I left a slot ti fit a tube to take the long nose probe later

Scorpion_027.jpg

... test fitted in place....

Scorpion_028.jpg

It's all rough and ready - but it works for me.....

Scorpion_029.jpg

Meanwhile, back at the rear fuselage.... some more sanding and filling....

Scorpion_030.jpg

I think the shape is almost correct - and the gloss black finish will hide a lot of sins.....

Scorpion_031.jpg

Scorpion_032.jpg

Ken

• Like 2

After adding a couple more bulkheads and filling the nose with lead shot, I roughly filled it with Milliput.....

Scorpion_033.jpg

A few sessions of filling and sanding - and the basic shape is established....

Scorpion_034.jpg

.... more filling and sanding needed yet - but its getting there...

Scorpion_035.jpg

After casting around for a suitable diameter tube to make the intakes, I resorted to butchering a 1/700 scale submarine.....

Scorpion_036.jpg

Suitable sanded to shape at the front end, they will do nicely....

Scorpion_037.jpg

.... once blended in with filler...

Scorpion_038.jpg

The nose shape needs a bit more fettling - but its coming together....

Ken

• Like 4

I want my XF-89 to look as different from a production model as possible - so I'm doing it from a photo that shows the rear cockpit faired over and fitted with some sort of instrumentation (it also had a bullet fairing at the fin/tailplane junction).

With that in mind I have covered the rear cockpit with plastic card - I'll add the 'gubbins' later....

Scorpion_039.jpg

All I have to do now is to carve and crash-mould a new canopy !!!

I'm also leaving off the tip tanks - so the wingtips have been faired over with plastic card....

Scorpion_040.jpg

Ken

I love the things you find to make the profiles you need. It's good to see some real modelling and a real breath of fresh air after hearing about people complaining about all the new unbuildable kits.

Keep up the good work, this is brilliant modelling at its best.

The cat

Thanks for all the compliments(?) chaps......

Some more progress........

Circular section sprue to make the fin/tailplane bullet fairing.....

Scorpion_041.jpg

Main parts assembled......

Scorpion_042.jpg

Scorpion_043.jpg

I still need to add some more 'instruments' behind the pilot's seat - only a couple of photos to work from, so its mostly just made up :rolleyes:

Underside view....

Scorpion_044.jpg

I have altered the pilot's bang seat to make it look a bit like the one fitted to the XF-89.....

Scorpion_045.jpg

Finally, the new canopy is carved - ready for crash/plug/plunge moulding....

Scorpion_046.jpg

Ken

• Like 2

And THATS how the big dogs run. VERY impressive. If you need me I'll be sliding my hands through a band saw...one finger at a time. Outstanding work...great googly moogly!

The Aerofax book on the F-89 shows that the XF-89 (and early models) did not have nosewheel steering, so I removed the mechanism and added a landing light.....

Scorpion_048.jpg

Early Scorpions also only had 3 brake discs - so one was removed from the kit moulding....

Scorpion_049.jpg

Another small detail - a lot of F-89's had a spoked nosewheel - and as I couldn't find a suitable replacement in my spares box, I had to modify the kit item....

Scorpion_050.jpg

The model now has its final coat of primer.....

Scorpion_051.jpg

The instruments behind the pilots seat - all scratched from a couple of indistinct photos and lots of artistic licence....

Scorpion_052.jpg

The homemade canopy tempoarily in place - I'm quite chuffed with it....

Scorpion_053.jpg

Ken

• Like 4