1/72 Miss Ashley II

Thanks a lot for you praise guys. :)

I thought it was a good time to prepare the resin exhausts that came with the kit for some paint. When I took them out again they didn't look as good as I remembered them. This would not just be some cleaning up, nor are they round, at least not to me, as they should be.

MA2_128.jpg

Instead of going to work on that I sat down searching for better parts online. Surely there must be round Griffon exhausts for late mark Spitfires in good resin somewhere. After a little while I had ordered some sets from Quickboost and SBS that Hannants had in stock. I hope something will be better than this and can be tweaked to fit.

As I was packing this one up to do something else I realised I wasn't done with painting at all. There were two more things to do, the flat black anti glare strip in front of the canopy and the wing leading edges which are supposed to be some "polished graphite" in colour. Not sure what to use for that right now, so I masked up the anti glare panel.

MA2_129.jpg

This was quickly sprayed with Lifecolor and masked off. So far so good, now need to find something for the leading edges.

MA2_130.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks a lot guys, glad you like her.

Polished graphite, in all pictures I have seen when she was in air the leading edges look black. Many on the ground too, while some look more like metal. I don't know. I did another masking package.

MA2_131.jpg

Something more towards black felt right, so I used Lifecolor gloss black and mixed in some gloss gun metal that altered the black colour to a slight metal dark greyish tone. I sprayed a thin coat of gloss varnish on top of it.

MA2_132.jpg

The difference from black is quite subtle and it looks mostly black, especially in photos, so I think I leave it like this.

MA2_133.jpg

MA2_134.jpg

The tail antenna still survives... :)

• Like 4

I really want to get the spinner painted just to see it against the painted bird for the first time. There is however some preparation to be done first. I laid up the prop and spinner base diameters with three blade locations spread 120° in AutoCAD and printed. I also jigged a pen and drew the planes for the front and rear blades on the spinner.

MA2_135.jpg

I'm trying to get a feeling for the spread I want between the front and rear blades when using the prop blurs. Or how to make things more complicated...

MA2_136.jpg

MA2_137.jpg

I think I'll go with this, approx 30°.

MA2_138.jpg

I added the front blade locations 30° off and the two diameters where the blades attach and printed a new template. I will need the two attachment diameters when I cut down the blades later. Then I drew the blade locations onto the spinner.

MA2_139.jpg

Just need to keep track which is front and rear and not mix up the holes to be drilled.

MA2_140.jpg

As I suspected the first coat of primer gave a good deal of ghost marks in my heavily reworked spinner. Given some patience to cure, sanding and repeating the process should bring it home and ready for a black base coat. I hope.

MA2_141.jpg

• Like 5

Many thanks, glad you like her. :)

Rich, ideally I would like to do her in 1/24 if there were good base kits, but a 1/48 must happen one day, I hope.

After three rounds of primer-sanding the spinner was ready for a coat of Humbrol gloss black base coat. Tomorrow should hopefully see some Alclad Polished Aluminum.

MA2_142.jpg

• Like 4

Tomorrow should hopefully see some Alclad Polished Aluminum.

I look forward to that, I used Humbrol gloss black on my Rotodyne props followed by Alclad Polished Aluminum so am interested to see how it comes out.

Here's the spinner finished in Alclad Polished Aluminium. Now I need to add something along the blade circles to make it look more like rotation, and darken the line between the two sections.

MA2_143.jpg

I just had to put it on the nose to have a good look. As soon as that large spinner takes up its place, the whole airframe comes together for me. Speed Bird.

MA2_144.jpg

MA2_145.jpg

MA2_146.jpg

I hope my new resin exhaust stacks arrive soon...

• Like 6

Excellent progress, now this really does look like polished aluminium:

MA2_143.jpg

I am sure you know not to put any varnish on it as it will detract from the fantastic effect you have achieved.

• Like 2

Yes, I never use any kind of varnish over Alclad, I think so far I have always found a way to arrange my order of painting to avoid having to. So far.

Today I have worked a bit more on the propeller. I cut the blurs to the desired lengths and primed them with light grey Alclad primer.

MA2_147.jpg

Then I sprayed them lightly with Tamiya Nato black, trying to get a thinner coat the further out towards the tips I got. I also sprayed some shadowing behind the blades on the two spinner sections while rotating it in an electric drill. No, I missed taking a picture, sorry.

MA2_148.jpg

Then I wanted to but a lighter blur where the small notes are placed in the middle of the blades on the front side, so I marked up the references on a paper and taped them up.

MA2_149.jpg

This is what I ended up with after some light grey spraying. I suppose I could have tried to make a whiter point in the middle. With the risk of messing it up more...

MA2_150.jpg

Then I needed 40 mm circles of masking tape. My old circle drawing template goes to 36 mm, so I had to go searching. After a good while I found the lid of this can of curry.

MA2_151.jpg

I taped one circle with the sticky side up on my template, positioned all the blades so I had spraying access, then placed the other circle on top. It almost worked, I had to cut a section and replace. Then I lifted the whole cake and rigged it for spraying.

MA2_152.jpg

I tried to keep the spraying light and ended up with this. Again it might be possible to spray more coverage in the centre of the blades. This could probably be worked on a lot.

MA2_153.jpg

• Like 5

Great work with the alclad...and everything else for that matter :)

When it comes to varnish and alclad, if you don't mind me derailing the thread for a slight second, how would you work around require a gloss coat for things like pin washes or if you wanted to weather the surface?

• Like 1

Excellent work Jorgen.

After a good while I found the lid of this can of curry.

That curry powder looks hardly used - I think you need to make more curries. I can provide recipes if you like.

Nigel

• Like 1

Oh, that's a new can of curry from the stock pile, we always keep extras of these essential things so we never have the risk of running out of it... :)

I do washing and weathering directly on Alclad surfaces like polished aluminium, which has so far worked well for the type of subjects I usually build. I'm not quite sure how I would make a heavily weathered NMF war bird as I haven't really been there.

I started my day with the assembly of the propeller. It was a bit fiddly but worked out in the end.

MA2_154.jpg

I needed four small silver decal circles, so I sharpened a flat syringe needle tip to create a punch tool and pressed out what I needed.

MA2_155.jpg

These went onto the wings, and a small tapered decal piece on the anti glare panel. Then I cut a thin strip for the canopy frame. I also did a little work on some panel lines. When looking at good photos of the real bird sized 1/72-like there is hardly a visible panel line anywhere, so I won't do much more if anything.

MA2_156.jpg

And some test fitting of the propeller when it was secure to handle.

MA2_157.jpg

MA2_158.jpg

• Like 4