1/72 Miss Ashley II

Thanks a lot Les. The box do tell the truth, "Adjustments of parts & filling required"... :)

I've had another reasonably productive session. I did a little more adjustment to the Airfix outlet roof and then committed to glue. It fits very well when the fuselage halves are joined, thankfully.

MA2_46.jpg

I cut down the Airfix cockpit base to what I think I need, and then sat down looking at what parts I have available. I also remembered that I have one reference picture showing the panel and part of the left side, and I realised that I will have to do a bit more detailing and scratching in this area to be satisfied.

MA2_47.jpg

After some trial fitting and further thinking I decided to use these parts as my base. A good mix of what I had.

MA2_48.jpg

I then had to make the canopy fit properly to ensure there's room for the pilot and that everything ends up in the correct position lengthwise. This was quite a lot of work both on the canopy itself, trimming small amounts each time, and also some adjustments to the fuselage was needed. It's now a very good fit when pushed in place for glue, but I just can't tape it in place properly to take a photo.

MA2_49.jpg

I then assembled the cockpit parts and finished my radical surgery to the pilot to end up with this assembly. I think I can live with that, if I also do some detailing to the fuselage sides. That will be the next thing to deal with.

MA2_50.jpg

MA2_51.jpg

I had to make a final check to see that the helmet cleared the canopy. It all fits as I want, but once again the small pieces of tape doesn't hold the canopy in place for photos.

MA2_52.jpg

MA2_53.jpg

• Like 2

looking very nice indeed!

I've been looking for photo's for you but the only one I can find of the cockpit are in these links below;

http://www.pylon1.org/articles/publish/article_6.shtml

http://www.warbirdaeropress.com/NewGallery/MA2/

I noticed that the instrument panel decal is black, from everything I've found on these racers they should be grey as with the rest of the cockpit. The panel layout looks to be pretty much correct though.

I don't know if you have it or have seen it, but there is a very good book out on the Griffon powered Mustangs, "Griffon-Powered Mustangs - RacePlane Tech Vol.1".

• Like 1

Thanks Rich. She should indeed be light grey in the cockpit including the instrument panel. That photo from warbirdaeropress.com is what I have to work from. The black decal is for the plain Airfix panel, which was quickly deemed insufficient. I could of course have drawn a new decal according to the reference photo and printed on clear film to put on a grey surface, that might have been easier...

Very well, today I decided the exact location for the cockpit and glued supports in place so I could work on the side wall details with a fixed reference.

MA2_54.jpg

Then I drew up a few lines for the main structure, and from that point time vanished and I just got into a good work flow. Using Evergreen strips, some wire and details that I took from the scrapped Airfix kit I suddenly came up with this. It's not perfectly accurate but should look OK, I think, when painted and seen with the pilot in place under the little canopy.

MA2_55.jpg

I also did some more modifications to the resin instrument panel to make it close to the reference photo.

MA2_56.jpg

This is what the two sides look like with the cockpit in place.

MA2_57.jpg

MA2_58.jpg

I think I can now use some paint, at last. I will cut the seat back down a little bit more first, so I can install some seat belts going back over it. I will also draw and print a few decals for the cockpit as they are not on the sheet that comes with the kit.

• Like 3

Today I have made some basic painting of the cockpit. First I sprayed the main colours.

MA2_59.jpg

Then I started picking out some details. Next will be some dry brushing, gloss clear, a bit of washing and two or three decals.

MA2_60.jpg

MA2_61.jpg

And last but not least the pilot got some detail painting. He will receive some shadowing and washing next.

MA2_62.jpg

• Like 4

Amazing piece(s) of modelling Jörgen, more popcorn needed I think. :popcorn: Great patience as well I'm really looking forward to seeing this finished,

Sean

• Like 1

MA2_60.jpg

That side console seems rather far back in relation to the seat? Hope this is mentioned soon enough to be "constructive".

The instrument panel looks wonderful- I'd be happy with that in 1/48!

bob

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot guys, glad you like it.

Yes, that side console is indeed way far back and also turned backwards compared to the Airfix kit I took it from. I'm not even sure there was something like it in the real thing, I was mostly interested in the slide control and it's no room further forward. I now cut off the other two things to avoid them possibly being visible when it's all joined, that's probably better.

Here are the remains of the Airfix kit. If any of you need something for a conversion or replacement in this GB, give me a note.

MA2_63.jpg

I drew up and printed some small decals I need under the canopy.

MA2_64.jpg

And here are the fuselage sides ready, I think, to be joined with the rest of the cockpit.

MA2_65.jpg

And the centre piece with Gary strapped in the seat.

MA2_66.jpg

MA2_67.jpg

Time to collect the courage to finally join the fuselage with glue...

• Like 1

Well, as is sometimes the case, when I reviewed the photos in my own post I wasn't happy, so I tried to improve his hands and firm up the grip of the control stick. Also did a bit better shadows around the helmet and cleaned up the glasses against the helmet top. He's really so small that it's difficult to see...

MA2_68.jpg

• Like 1

It's time to close up the fuselage, so it's one last look at the cockpit before some of it dissapears. I'm happy with this compromise.

MA2_69.jpg

MA2_70.jpg

MA2_71.jpg

The fit is not easy, but section by section the joint is beaten into submission to a pretty smooth result.

MA2_72.jpg

With the basic sanding done it's not too bad at all. The heigth of the fin has been slighlty reduced, less than a mm, to match my drawing a of the tall version H-fin.

MA2_73.jpg

The radiator outlet flap loosely put in place. There's some rescribing to be done across the fueselage joint and the tail wheel doors.

MA2_74.jpg

A little sanding was needed to adjust the nose cowling to the spinner. How to make a Spitfire Mk 24 based cowling adapted for a 5 inches larger spinner with a top Naca scoop fit a P-51 Mustang...

MA2_75.jpg

And here are the areas under the canopy prepared, painted and with the last decal in place. This is now ready for the canopy to be fitted.

MA2_76.jpg

MA2_77.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Bob, it's feels good to at last have this step done.

Scribing is terribly boring in my world, so today I started by doing all scribing needed on the fuselage. I also filled some minor surface distortions, which are probably a result of the low pressure mould technology, with green stuff.

MA2_78.jpg

Then I decided to get the last major work on the wing done, cutting back the leading edge. I drew up the lines I wanted to reach.

MA2_79.jpg

I cut and filed the lines straight. Luckily there was a lot of material inside so I only went through in a very small spot which was easily fixed.

MA2_80.jpg

However, of course I now had a flat 3 mm thick leading edge at the wing root.

MA2_81.jpg

After a good deal of filing and sanding I had a new smooth leading edge and wing profile that I think will do. I now have to do a rescribing of the leading edge, then it may be time to fit the wing permanently.

MA2_82.jpg

• Like 3

With the wing leading edges also rescribed and the green stuff sanded there was no turning back. The wing had to be fitted once and for all. It was done with both good old "tube" glue and CA. It sits correctly but the fit requires a good deal of filling and shaping that will be a small project in itself. I started by matching up the corners using the knife to remove excess plastic and glue two filler pieces to where the forward extension of the Naca radiator intake will fit. It will now all have some curing time before 2-part filler is applied in all major places.

MA2_83.jpg

MA2_84.jpg

MA2_85.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Les. I'm in love with her lines, and I'd quite fancy doing Vendetta as well.

I had a good thinking over the afternoon and decided to slightly change my approach. I added the front piece of the Naca radiator intake as well, so I can get the whole under wing area done at once, before cutting up and creating the Naca scoop itself.

MA2_86.jpg

The reason for that is that as slim as this Miss is, I think she's still a little fat over her belly... I adjusted the front Naca section to the depth I think I want when trying to find a compromise between the drawings and good profile pictures from '99, so I will take off a good amount of material between the red arrows. There is quite a lot of plastic there, I just hope it's enough so I don't go through and end up with extra work.

MA2_87.jpg

• Like 2

I agree, though the left over plastic may be very thin.

Could you perhaps cut that section out and re-build with card, it may give you a bit extra to play with. Shaping and profiling shouldn't be too hard for you, being a resin man! :D

It's certainly looking good!!

• Like 1

Thanks guys. The reshaping itself is no problem if there's just material enough. As you say Rich; resin is a good school... B)

I decided to give it a try and see how it went. It didn't take very long to work off most of the material and I did go through, but at the right place, at the end where the radiator outlet starts. That was a relatively easy fix to cut out the last section and insert a piece of 0,5 mm PC. Then I could finish of the sanding and shaping and apply some 2-part filler where needed. After sanding that I adjusted the outlet edge and rescribed. Next will be the Naca intake.

MA2_88.jpg

Here is the new slimmer profile, this is much more to my liking.

MA2_89.jpg

High Planes give a rough part for the Naca intake floor. It is not of much help really. Since not much else has been coming the easy way in this build I decided more of the same could be applied. What I have started here is the floor (or rather the roof in this case) of the Naca duct with side wall material glued in place. It is extended well backwards where some radiator detail will be added. Once installed and partially painted the openeing will be closed to the correct length, sanded smooth and rescribed (again...). That's the plan at least.

MA2_90.jpg

• Like 3