Particles 'n dust in clear coats. How do you avoid them?

robvulcan

Hi I am looking for some tips. No matter what I do I keep getting little particles of dust or what ave you, caught up in the klear coat or varnish.

It's very minimal and only noticeable on very cruel close

Inspection but drives me mad on white aircraft.

Does a anyone have any tips on applying a flawless varnish to white surfaces ?

Cheers Rob :)

Try using a mister or water filled empty cleaning spray bottle shortly before painting in the room / area that you are working in, it should help a bit in cutting down what's floating about.

A large empty tupperware container or the likes placed over the model immediatley after painting should also help.

• Like 1

Cheers. Like the ideas. Are you on about micro meshing before clear coat to reduce loose paint debris.

I recently found spraying outside helps but you can't always get the weather for it.

Cheers ;)

Apologies Rob, should have expanded the reply. I used to baulk at the idea of of a rub down after a final coat. However, you'll be amazed how much it improves the finish. Use an extremely fine grit of course.

• Like 1

I usually polish the finish with a nail buffer, then wipe down with a lens cleaning cloth, and I make sure that I have a cotton T shirt on when I am airbrushing, did it once with a wooly jumper on, never again !

Cheers

Den

• Like 1

All great tips guys. Now I know there is a reason I instinctively hates wooly jumpers as a kid,

I do use micro mesh but I'm new to it. I would like to learn what techniques others use with a rub down, just incase I missed a trick.

Trouble is the small fragments I refers too often don't come off with a run as they are on the bottom and not the surface.

However maybe a rub down of the white before the final coat might help

Cheers ;)

Wipe with a tack cloth before spraying, these can be bought in a pack of 10 for £5 from Halfords. Also, if you use an extractor turn it on for a few minutes before you start spraying to remove airborne particles from the room.

Sean

• Like 1

Never heard of a tack cloth sounds interesting , I've often wondered if an anti static cloth would work but not sure if it would effect the paint ,

Cheers Rob

Tack cloths are great because despite their apparent stickiness they leave no residue. I find they collect debris much better than anti-static cloths. The other really good thing is that when they become clogged you can unfold them to reveal fresh layers so each cloth lasts quite a while making them good value :thumbsup:

Sean

• Like 1